AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tested my new 1/2in OD water line today

Real Name
    Jim

Smile Tested my new 1/2in OD water line today

I installed a new 3.4gpm pump today and hooked it up to the 1/2OD tubing I installed through the walls last week. I hooked that up to a backflow device and into the top of the tank, using the same "spout" and sponge filter as used before with the 3/8OG tubing. In the pic below you can see the new pump (far left) with the blue tubing (1/2OD), the older 3.4pgm pump conntected to black (3/8OD) tubing, and the RO booster pump. This is a temporary setup only as the middle pump will be moved now that I'm satisfied with results.

I used the 3/8OD tubing/pump to fill the 30gal tank I have my BDs in (who haven't laid a single damn egg yet ) and without all the Y connectors and ball valves it went beautifully and the tank filled faster than it did when all the connectors were in place.

I then went to fill my 180 with the 1/2OD tubing, and as long as the water line was below the sponge it worked perfectly, and filled the tank far faster than what I was used to. Problems arose however when the waterline reached the sponge, and the sponge that used to stop ALL bubbles from forming with the 3/8OD tubing exploded with millions of tiny (micro?) bubbles. I shut it off immediately and tried a different configuration using the same sponge but less plastic restricting flow - better but still not what I wanted. I ended up fashioning a spray bar that I stick straight towards the front of the tank with extra large holes pointing towards the ends of the tank. This resulted in a nice flow of water in the two different directions that didn't result in an explosion of bubbles. (the spray bar is an eheim "installation kit" spray bar - I drilled out the holes and pointed two sections one way and two sections the other way)

So, I'd declaring the new setup a success.. YAY!!!!

time to change the pre-pump sediment filter for the RO... YUCK!! lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Tested my new 1/2in OD water line today

I ran in to a website that screams Jim:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/#

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Tested my new 1/2in OD water line today

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I ran in to a website that screams Jim:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/#

ROFL

Hey, once it's no longer a work in progress I'll do some housecleaing These tanks however, are in a small storage room in the basement that no one ever sees except for myself whn I go downstairs t refill the tanks or do some sort of maintenance. function at thsi point takes a back seat to pretty lol
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...