AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Should I bring 2 year old Stendkers to NADA

Real Name
    Geoff

Default Should I bring 2 year old Stendkers to NADA

Hi all,
    I need an honest appraisal. Seriously Honest!

My girls are in love with these fish and do not want me to sell them. I am hoping to change their minds and bring the largest to NADA, maybe 3-4 of them. The idea being I could free up tank space and try my hand at breeding pair. Here's another problem, I'm driving from Philadelphia to Milwaukee (15 hrs), staying with the parents from the 1st to the 4th and then going to Chicago (Weston Lombard). These fish will be in bath tubs or buckets for 7 days. Should I just be good to the girls and leave them be and enjoy NADA without the hassle of showing/selling them?

Thanks
    009.JPG010.JPG012.JPG013.JPG018.JPG020.JPG

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: Should I bring 2 year old Stendkers to NADA

If it makes any difference in your decision process, there are a couple MWDA members who's houses you won't be passing too far from who might have room to house them for you for a few days while you're in Milwaukee.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Geoff

Thanks Keith!
    I appreciate the advice!

Real Name
    Phil

I mean gorgeous fish don't get me wrong but seems like a hike !!

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I mean gorgeous fish don't get me wrong but seems like a hike !!
    Thanks Phil! If the kids were on board and we were going straight there it would be a different story.

Real Name
    Ralph

Geoff...seems like a long haul that may stress them...but as you mentioned if it was direct then it would be no issue.
    I myself was debating on bringing a couple of wilds but I would have to cross the border and after spending time online and talking with both US and Can borders...it's very expensive for permits I need and many other documents so not worth the hassle.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

The only way that this would work out for you with the fish still arriving in show condition would be to ship them there. Folks do it all the time. Contact the NADA big wigs to make arrangements.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Geoff

Thanks Ralph and Liz! I was kind of hoping someone would say "yes! bring them all they're worth millions", or the opposite "Are you kidding me? they'll be 100's more better then those there" so that my choice would be really easy. I really want to bring them just so I'm more involved in the show than just a spectator.....but my wife thinks I'm crazy and my kids think I'm heartless. I think I'm going to leave them at home.

Real Name
    Rick

I really like the pigeon blood.

Your not going to get a lot of input from the judges and staff at NADA in regards to how we think your fish might do at the show at this time of year as it is a big no no (especially for the judges) to go into the show with any bias (perceived or real). We don't even want our judges to know who's fish is who's in those regards.

Now, as I am the president of NADA, and I am NOT a judge, I can go this far. There is a few nice fish in that batch, and you have done a fine job growing them out. And what you proposed to do is exactly what we want to encourage MORE people to do. Bringing a fish or two to the show just increases your involvement and makes you enjoy the show that much more, even if you don't win.

That being said, your travel arrangements are far from ideal. Keith's idea might work out for you, but I would not keep a show fish in a bucket for several days, no way no how. You would either need to set up a tank at your parents for a few days, or hire a babysitter.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Geoff

Thanks Rick! i appreciate the compliments and thank you for the advice!! I didn't even think about the whole impartial judging issue hope this post isn't in bad taste.
    Geoff

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Your fine Geoff. Some real good information shared in this thread, glad you posted the question.
    President - North American Discus Association