ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get my plants to thrive?

Registered Member

Default How do I get my plants to thrive?

Its a Discus tank first. However I have wanted to add some plants. They seem to not respond at all.

Lights I am running Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light 2000 lumens x 2 units

I dose excel daily as to the package directions. Flourish Iron every other day basis as directed and Potassium every other day as directed. The amazon sword is trimmed back from what was a sword that reached the top of the water. New leaves are pale and get rot spots on them until I have to trim them out.

What am I missing? Probably a lot. Help!
    Last edited by Maro1; 06-20-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: How do I get my plants to thrive?

I noticed that my swords did not do well with low flow in that area. I added a small power head in the corner where they are and they came back. But you could have a diffrent issues.

Registered Member

Thanks Debow. I have good movement. The leaves are in constant motion. A gentle sway.

Registered Member

root tabs for the sword they are heavy root feeders. you also may need to up the Excel dose with as much light as you are putting on them....

Do you use any Carbon? if so take it out it is removing the Excel
    FYI it's a rough guess at best.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    root tabs for the sword they are heavy root feeders. you also may need to up the Excel dose with as much light as you are putting on them....

Do you use any Carbon? if so take it out it is removing the Excel
    FYI it's a rough guess at best.
    pitdogg I don't use carbon. I have root tabs in place for the last two months along with my dosing of excel, iron and Potassium

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I have an 125G BB tank with potted plants too, and for the hell of it plants will grow in the tank. Lighting is okay, dose EI method of ferts, still very little luck. Just came to the conclusion that plants will not grow in this tank. If anybody has any suggestions, surely would appreciate it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maro1 View Post
    pitdogg I don't use carbon. I have root tabs in place for the last two months along with my dosing of excel, iron and Potassium
    What is your plant medium? plain gravel or some other planted tank media? I have plants in pots also and one of the same LED light strips I used Flourite for gravel and the same ferts my swords did very well when I had them, I now have all Anubis's that I must trim because of growth.

Like I said ruff guess at best we could live right next to each other do the same and have opposite results sometimes it is strange like that.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    I have an 125G BB tank with potted plants too, and for the hell of it plants will grow in the tank. Lighting is okay, dose EI method of ferts, still very little luck. Just came to the conclusion that plants will not grow in this tank. If anybody has any suggestions, surely would appreciate it.
    farebox, I have seen pictures of people who have done it. So I assume (You know what that does to me) it is possible.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    What is your plant medium? plain gravel or some other planted tank media? I have plants in pots also and one of the same LED light strips I used Flourite for gravel and the same ferts my swords did very well when I had them, I now have all Anubis's that I must trim because of growth.

Like I said ruff guess at best we could live right next to each other do the same and have opposite results sometimes it is strange like that.
    Pittdog, I used carib sea eco complete. My anubias are the only plant growing in there. Should I be testing the amount of iron in the tank? I have heard that type of Iron is so easily used that it would test low.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Are you injecting co2? If so, PPS dosing may be your solution:
    http://blog.greenleafaquariums.com/2...just-mix-dose/

If not, you may need better soil, or you may actually want to lower your light output. Seems like a lot of light for low light plants. Are you experiencing melting? Algae issues? How long is your photo period?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Are you injecting co2? If so, PPS dosing may be your solution:
    http://blog.greenleafaquariums.com/2...just-mix-dose/

If not, you may need better soil, or you may actually want to lower your light output. Seems like a lot of light for low light plants. Are you experiencing melting? Algae issues? How long is your photo period?
    Rickztahone. I'm not injecting C02 (Yet) I may be getting some melting along with the dried brown spots that develop as the leaves turn green. The new leafs never seem to get a dark green but rather almost white. I am also getting some algae issues. My photo period is 10 hrs daily. What would you suggest?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Rickztahone. I'm not injecting C02 (Yet) I may be getting some melting along with the dried brown spots that develop as the leaves turn green. The new leafs never seem to get a dark green but rather almost white. I am also getting some algae issues. My photo period is 10 hrs daily. What would you suggest?
    Start with reducing the lighting period

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Start with reducing the lighting period
    So I have reduced my photo period to 6 hrs. Continuing with the ferts and we will see what happens from there.

Registered Member

high co2 is the key to crazy growth.

for maximum growth. high co2, nutrient rich substrate and a quality light. but co2 is #1 the rest are just bonus

Real Name
    Ricardo

So I have reduced my photo period to 6 hrs. Continuing with the ferts and we will see what happens from there.
    Give it some time to see some form of progress.

Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast