AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Cheap interesting co2 setup

Registered Member

Default Cheap interesting co2 setup

I went to my lfs, asked about a co2 system for my 50, that I will be turning into a planted. The system they had was $160 but only up to 40 gallons. She pointed me towards a much cheaper alternative system. They have one running in thier
    front tank (8g) and seems to pump out bubbles adequately set on lowest. As much as i want a good planted tank, I know that I wont need a huge load of dissolved nutrients for it either. So, I bought it. $30 in a system that I'm skeptic in it's ability v.s. ripping my wallet in half and going for a high tech system that is complete overkill. Has anyone used this before?

IMG_0373[1].jpg
    Last edited by jipee; 06-21-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Cheap interesting co2 setup

What exactly are we looking at here? Co2 is a gas

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    What exactly are we looking at here? Co2 is a
    gas
    The pump sends current into the plate. Inside it has a carbon pad that reacts and turns into a gas

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jipee View Post
    The pump sends current into the plate. Inside it has a carbon pad that reacts and turns into a gas
    Oh, I actually HAVE heard of this. Or SEEN it, rather. Joey (kind DIY) did a vid on how to do this in your own tank by way of diffusion disc. Whether or not it works was not mentioned, but you can report back to us?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ruud

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Oh, I actually HAVE heard of this. Or SEEN it, rather. Joey (kind DIY) did a vid on how to do this in your own tank by way of diffusion disc. Whether or not it works was not mentioned, but you can report back to us?
    That video was more about sterilizing water using electrolysis. I think this is a device called the "Carbo plus", uses also electrolysis, but now to add CO2.

I am also curious about your experience! Let us know.

Registered Member

Looks like thirty bucks down the drain to me. Whatever it is supposed to do, it probably won't. Maybe I'm getting old and skeptical. And cheap. Thirty bucks wasted is thirty bucks you'll never get back. Thirty bucks spent on something that works and lasts is a good investment.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

I am curious now...can you please post some videos when it is functioning and probably pre post photos of your tank...thanks!

Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6PuTTMrQ0

Here is a video I made. DISCLAIMER: EXAMPLE TANK, NOT THE PERMANENT SYSTEM THAT WILL BE SOON.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Filip

Never heard of this gadget before but I'm eager to see the results . I don't know about its efficiency but its is very small, invisible and stylish that's for sure .

Do you have to replace or refill anything here ?
    It has to run out of something eventually ,right?

Next thing to do to check its carbon producing efficiency is to run a drop checker , and see if it can change its colour from blue to yellow.
    If you do that , please share the results with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Never heard of this gadget before but I'm eager to see the results . I don't know about its efficiency but its is very small, invisible and stylish that's for sure .

Do you have to replace or refill anything here ?
    It has to run out of something eventually ,right?

Next thing to do to check its carbon producing efficiency is to run a drop checker , and see if it can change its colour from blue to yellow.
    If you do that , please share the results with us.
    Like any product, once the cartridge runs out, a replacement is needed (Usually runs out 2-3 months). I believe replacement is where products like this make's it's money ($20-$40 replacement cartridge depending on product). At the rate you pay for the replacement vs DIY CO2 system using cheap baking soda and Citric acid, it's cheaper to go with the DIY CO2 system. This is why you don't see a lot of planted tank hobbyist talk about these device. It's been around for a while now and isn't new.

Real Name
    Eric

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-...-co2-unit.html

My advice, go for this regulator with a screw on drop checker and paintball CO2 bottle. It will be approx $125 for all and will be more than adequate for a 50 gallon. I have this on my 60, very reliable, no adapter needed for a paintball tank.

https://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-OF-CA...s=aquatek+mini