AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 180g - Planted Discus Tank

Default Re: 180g - Planted Discus Tank

Also was thinking to darken the water a bit.
    I know you can do it with almond leaves, although the seem to be awfully expensive for what they are and I'm not even sure how long the effect would last with water changes. Would something like tea work to stain the water or would that not provide other benefits of almond leaves and be really just a water stain versus some sort of conditioner. I do have a number of different teas not all based on tea plants, such as rooibos.

Thanks
    Michael
    Current tanks: 150g - Discus / Planted setting up...
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

If you are getting 2.5 inch fish, chances of Flanchen and Flanchen SS looking very similar are very high. if you are getting bigger fish, then make sure you request Hans to give you the once with differentiated marking. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by raidendex View Post
    Getting ready to order the discus now. Not quite set on the types yet. But here is where I am at so far.

From Hans two of each:
    Dark Angel Discus
    Flachen Discus
    Flachen Snakeskin Discus
    Pigeon Blood Discus - Red
    Pigeon Blood Discus - Silver
    Red Scribbelt Discus

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Also was thinking to darken the water a bit.
    I know you can do it with almond leaves, although the seem to be awfully expensive for what they are and I'm not even sure how long the effect would last with water changes. Would something like tea work to stain the water or would that not provide other benefits of almond leaves and be really just a water stain versus some sort of conditioner. I do have a number of different teas not all based on tea plants, such as rooibos.

Thanks
    rooibos tea, lots of us on here use it. get it on amazon and just strain it using a tea strainer into your tank or aging barrel
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Jacklyn

also for stained water (even more biotope ish and more natural looking) I would def go with a single species. And between the ones you have listed, I would go with the middle top fish or the bottom right fish. a group of either would look outstanding. Or wilds, I am obviously on the wilds side of the fence so I would support you getting wilds from John or Mark
    ~JACKLYN~

Ok will try rooibos, I have a bag of it. I could just throw it into the filter sock to brew I usually get teas from here http://www.uptontea.com/store/catalo...categoryID=233 , but will check amazon as well. Thanks.

Sent request to Hans for 12 Dark Angels, sorry neither one you picked, but I like how they look for some reason lol >.>

Made a big batch of beef heart today. So food is ready for them! Aside from that I have some pellets from NSL Thera-A and from Aquatic Foods Blackworm Co Mix of 45% Blackworm Bits, Beef Heart Mix Bits, Earthworm Bits, Spirulina Bits, Color Enhancer Bits, Vitamin Booster Bits, Vegetable Bits, and Egg Yolk Bits and some freeze dried bloodworms from them as well.
    Michael
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

.... or maybe I should buy some other rooibos lol. One I have has rooibos, cardamon, citrus peels, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, star-anise, and cloves.
    Michael

Real Name
    Jacklyn

do not use that bag of rooibos. dark angels are nice, I am glad I convinced you to go with single species.
    ~JACKLYN~

This should be ok, seems cheaper than amazon - https://secure.uptontea.com/store/it...categoryID=233
    Michael

How much tea would it take to darken the tank? Trying to decide if I should get 1kg or not, if it will last for years.
    Michael

Registered Member

Could maybe boil some pure sphagnum peat ,and strain it through cheese cloth.
    As for how much to produce desired results,it may take some experimenting .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

How much tea would it take to darken the tank? Trying to decide if I should get 1kg or not, if it will last for years.
    I buy the Davidson's rooibos tea off amazon, it comes in a 16oz bag. I use about one tablespoon in my 33 gallon brute trashcan. It gets me the desired color I want. I use one of those floating ss tea strainers. The 16oz bag lasts me about 1.5-2 months. I basically use one tablespoon a day since I do daily water changes.
    ~JACKLYN~

What about oak leaves, have a tree in the back with large ones. In fact have a few branches that I cut off a while ago full of dry leaves on them now.

Looks something like this
    Michael

Real Name
    Jacklyn

What about oak leaves, have a tree in the back with large ones. In fact have a few branches that I cut off a while ago full of dry leaves on them now.

Looks something like this
    +1, I add oak, magnolia, cattapa leaves cones and pods all the time from my yard. Your tank is going more and more biotope, you should have gone with sand and wild discus. oak leaves are fine, get the dead ones obviously. a whole limb with leaves looks cool too once it dries out and dies some.
    ~JACKLYN~

Ok, cool. I guess I have a branch de-leafing project for tomorrow lol.

Will try to wash them up a bit and then use mesh filter socks to keep them together and add some to the sump. Will see what 20 leaves will do to the water and go from there.
    Michael

Decided to just boil the leaves and make tea. Was a bit concerned with introducing any fungus etc into the tank along with spiders.... few ran out of the bucket I was throwing leaves into >< Have fair amount of leaves in bags now however.

Made first extract. Wasn't too sure how many leaves to use so just filled a pot with loose leaf and then topped it off with water and boiled for a while. It's been sitting for about an hour now cooling with leaves still in. Will filter later and see how much of that liquid I will need to get water a bit darker
    Michael

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast