ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom 3d background discus project

Registered Member

Default Re: Custom 3d background discus project

Now time to get it up onto the stand. Heavy sucker. Dropped it on my foot and broke three toes!!! Quite the project this is turning out to be. Or should i say adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bc chick View Post
    Now time to get it up onto the stand. Heavy sucker. Dropped it on my foot and broke three toes!!! Quite the project this is turning out to be. Or should i say adventure.
    Background looks nice. Looks like it takes up a lot of room though but maybe it's just the pic. How many fish are you going to stock?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Background looks nice. Looks like it takes up a lot of room though but maybe it's just the pic. How many fish are you going to stock?
    its 6 footer. Stocked already....got them 1 week ago now. its a secret. im trying to catch up on my journal. lol gonna take a video this weekend and introduce everyone.

Registered Member

i dont understand why some pic come out sideways n some dont. guess it depends on the angle i took it

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I've been following your thread and sorry that l was not able to offer any advise , as l have no experience with your type of set up. But l just have to commend you on this. Even with all the problems you've had, you seemed to get trough it all.
    Kudos to you! Its looking fantastic, and l cant wait to see it on the stand with discus in it.

Good luck, but i'm sure you won't need it.
    Last edited by two utes; 09-17-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

thank you so much for your comments. sometimes i wonder if anyones following.cant help but be a bit proud, ive never done any diy project before. ive suffered so much not be able to drive my standard mustang with the broken toes!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    ive been following you as well through your sub change. looks fantastic

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

ive suffered so much not be able to drive my standard mustang with the broken toes!
    Discus and Mustangs. Nice! Hope your toes heal up quick. Keep us posted
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

We are def following. It has been a long time seems like it's quite a project. I imagine you will be very satisfied with end result. Look forward to seeing how your long journey and hard work pay off

Registered Member

It's been a long time because I've been busy with my new discus family. They arrived 9 days ago it was like Christmas morning opening that box. Each bag I pulled out was black so each one was a surprise such beautiful colors I've never seen something so nice. At first I was wondering if I'd be able to keep up with the daily water changes but then it's like motherhood just took over and I want to do so good for them 15 20 minutes and I'm done. It's nothing. I find myself worrying about them all the time. What are they doing. are they swimming? Are they hiding? What are they doing now? I can't help but be a little bit worried about them though. Like I said I've had them for 9 days and I find that they still hide too much. They scare easily which I know is normal. When they're hiding if I feed them they wont come out, I have to wait until they're out to feed them. They were introduced to uncycled tank but with a cycled sponge from the breeder. I've been doing daily water changes of about 50 to 60% but find by the end of the evening my water is a bit cloudy. There was one day my ammonia was up to .25 but other than that my daily testing has been ammonia zero nitrites 0 nitrates .5 is it possible it still is not cycled? I don't age my water as of yet but plan to do so soon just for the simple fact that I don't like the microbubbles. I have no swing in my pH. at feeding time they eat as long as the food is stuck to the glass but once it floats to the top that's it. I don't know if they're just a little dumb or what LOL but they don't seem to realize the food is floating on the top. For this reason I'm going to stay away from flake Foods. I'm running an fx 6 and I have a Air Sponge Filter which I got from the breeder. I just don't understand what's making my water cloudy. It's not really badly cloudy just off a little.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Discus and Mustangs. Nice! Hope your toes heal up quick. Keep us posted
    yeah me to because its almost time to park if for winter

I'd say it's possible the tank is still cycling. After I did a substrate change my tank was cloudy as it went through a mini cycle. Keep up with those daily WCs.

My fish used to do the same. They never fed off of the surface. It seems months later they will a bit but still are the most fond of it. Eventually those worms on the surface start to fall then they attack lol.

I remember the early days. I was like you. Always worried always checking in on them. Sooner than later they get very comfortable and now they bite my hands when I have it in the tank and I have to push them out of the way when I vac

Registered Member

i cant wait for that. so even thoughi got the cycled sponge it will still go through a mini cycle?

Your filter just may not have built up enough bacteria yet. The sponge is helping to speed up that process but the sponge alone is not enough BB. Imho

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

i cant wait for that. so even thoughi got the cycled sponge it will still go through a mini cycle?
    Yes, the bio needs to get stronger. If you use a cup and skim the uneaten food off the surface about 1/2 hour after feeding, the water will stay cleaner and it should help with cloudiness.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast