ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump faster pls!!

Registered Member

Default Pump faster pls!!

Im upgrading from a 65g to 100g. Rinsing out new tank. There has to be a faster way to pump the water out other then my sink. I pay for water and running a tap constantly during siphoning is gonna be expensive when i change to daily w/c

Default Re: Pump faster pls!!

Use an inline pump. I use an expensive one with a brushless motor and drain the my tanks fast via a hole through the fish room wall to the out of doors. For someone with few tanks I would recommend one of the larger Mag Drive pumps. I have a mag drive 5 pump for the 125 at my shop. It's pretty fast and lasts a very long time. I've had mine for like 12 years. I also have a smaller one for when I need to set up QT in the kitchen. My QT tank is only 30 gallons so it doesn't take long to drain and refill from it's dedicated water storage container. It will last forever because I so rarely buy new Discus.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Ok this is a sample of a cheapie first thing i saw. What do the numbers mean. What do i look for when searching ?

ABS Ultra-quiet DC 12V 3M 240L/H Brushless Submersible Water Pump High Qualtiy IP68 4.2W aquarium pompe aquarium E#CH

You just have one single tank. Buy a Mag drive 5. I need very powerful pump because I have an entire fish room. Magdrives work a treat for one or two tanks. Your link didn't work for me.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Its not a link. I thought you could tell me something from the title.

Registered Member

The site i order from doesnt have mag drive so i was seeing if they have something comparable

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

That's just a little bitty pump with a little bitty price. You want one that will do 500-1000 gallons per hour. Some people find that putting the hose out the window gives enough drop to get good siphon flow.
    Last edited by DJW; 06-27-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Registered Member

Is that what the 240l/h stands for..... ok got it

Registered Member

My fish tank is in my bedroom/woman cave lol and its in the basement so gravity is against me. Which leads me to my second question. The only sink i can hook up to is on the next floor up so my siphoning stinks. Is there something out there that can help

Real Name
    Ralph

I think it will be a cheaper option to plumb a plastic sink. Basements have the main source of water supply line and drain.
    If you know a handy man or women...this can be done fairly cheap and will serve your purpose.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Silver Member

There are 2 things I have done. 1 is to have a bucket and siphon into the bucket, then carry the bucket to my tub and dump it out. my back hurts. so i got 20 feet of hose, attached it to my siphon tube and run that into my tub or out onto my patio. no running water from the sink.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    There are 2 things I have done. 1 is to have a bucket and siphon into the bucket, then carry the bucket to my tub and dump it out. my back hurts. so i got 20 feet of hose, attached it to my siphon tube and run that into my tub or out onto my patio. no running water from the sink.
    Thanks for the tips. thats what im doing now. Im draining into tub. Was hoping there was something i could attach to the Upstairs sink for better suction.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    I think it will be a cheaper option to plumb a plastic sink. Basements have the main source of water supply line and drain.
    If you know a handy man or women...this can be done fairly cheap and will serve your purpose.

...Ralph
    Would putting a sink down here give me more suction the siphoning into tub down here?

Maybe my suction wouldnt be a problem anymore when i switch to sand as everthing sits on top?

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Bc chick View Post
    Thanks for the tips. thats what im doing now. Im draining into tub. Was hoping there was something i could attach to the Upstairs sink for better suction.
    There is something...a large expensive pump in order to siphon to the second floor.
    Is there no floor drain in the basement? There should be one which is building code.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Ralph..
    Ive stated thread for my "3d background project" check it out sometime along the way. Trying to pist my first pic. How do i post a pic from my phone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast