AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second loss in a week HELP

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Exclamation Second loss in a week HELP

Today started out normal, i fed the discus and vaccumed the tank and left. Cane back home around 4 and found my little guy on the filter intake. This is my second loss in two weeks and both cases very similar with no signs beforehand. I'm also worried because i leave for a 12 day vacation on saturday and to think that another would die while i'm gone and pollute the tank like crazy likely killing others along the way is unbearable. I looked around the internet when my first one died and the closest i could find was that it was bacterial and due to low water quality which made sense bc i was lazy on water changes that weekend because of wrestling but treated with salt. This time around i just did a 75% wc last night so it couldn't have been water. I'm just confused now and need help. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Second loss in a week HELP

Matt,

I hate to break it to you but this wasn't some overnight phenomenon... That fish looks awful. Skinny, mis-shaped, sunken head, ripped up fins... I mean, none of that alerted you earlier that there were issues with the tank?

You will really need to give us a lot more info. There is a disease questionnaire that needs to be filled out so you can get some help.

Just because you did a 75% change the night before doesn't mean all is fine and dandy. If those fish were swimming in old polluted water until that point then they have already been subject to and fighting off whatever is in there...

You really need to start with some big daily water changes and get us more info...

Do your other fish look as bad as this guy?

By the looks of it, it's probably too late now.

I'm afraid I have to agree with warbald and Phil. The fish have been sick for a long time. At this point the kindest thing you can do is euthanize them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

bad news start over after vacation it will be your best option IMHO.

agree with all above.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Matt,

I hate to break it to you but this wasn't some overnight phenomenon... That fish looks awful. Skinny, mis-shaped, sunken head, ripped up fins... I mean, none of that alerted you earlier that there were issues with the tank?

You will really need to give us a lot more info. There is a disease questionnaire that needs to be filled out so you can get some help.

Just because you did a 75% change the night before doesn't mean all is fine and dandy. If those fish were swimming in old polluted water until that point then they have already been subject to and fighting off whatever is in there...

You really need to start with some big daily water changes and get us more info...

Do your other fish look as bad as this guy?
    I know just because i did one last night doesn't mean everything is ok but i do 50%+ water changes every day or every other day. The one that just died was stunted (i believe) but the first one never had any problems. There is another in the tank right now that is small er than the rest but his eye still doesn't look unporportional to his body. The rest are all healthy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

I think many of you are misinformed. These are 2 of 7 discus that have died. They were all purchased from hans as growouts. Before these two were just as nice as all the others but i come home to find them like this and their color is all weird with white splotches on them like in the picture. I'm trying to post pics of the others if it will let me.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Matt, lets see how the rest look and go from there.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacklyn

matt can we see a shot of all your other fish, as well as a full tank shot? are you aging your water? what are the parameters of your water ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH?
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Using this link you should be able to view a few pics of them http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psbox0t7ng.jpg

This did not come on over night. They wouldn't be rail thin and pinched in the head if this happened in a day's time. It was obviously a slow process. I notice that there are no pics of the fish from the time they were new and fat to emaciated and at the verge of death today.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Matt, when were these pictures taken?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    This did not come on over night. They wouldn't be rail thin and pinched in the head if this happened in a day's time. It was obviously a slow process. I notice that there are no pics of the fish from the time they were new and fat to emaciated and at the verge of death today.
    I don't understand what you are saying. These pics are from about 2 weeks ago just showing how abrupt this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Matt, when were these pictures taken?

Yes they are, thank you

Real Name
    Pat

Matt, it appears you got these fish March of last year. The fish you posted in the first post of this thread is in very poor condition and has been this way for a while. While the fish in the pictures do not look that bad. You can still tell some of them have not grown well in that they are small and stunted. I suspect the two you have lost in the last week were the worst of the group and simply succumbed to starvation and poor water conditions. The best you can do is offered better care to the rest.
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Matt, it appears you got these fish March of last year. The fish you posted in the first post of this thread is in very poor condition and has been this way for a while. While the fish in the pictures do not look that bad. You can still tell some of them have not grown well in that they are small and stunted. I suspect the two you have lost in the last week were the worst of the group and simply succumbed to starvation and poor water conditions. The best you can do is offered better care to the rest.
    Pat
    So it isn't a disease or anything? I just don't know what I have done wrong... I do big water changes and feed 2-3x a day... What am i missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast