AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought my Discus a Cabin

Default Bought my Discus a Cabin

Most already know that I'm in the middle of moving. We sold our house in Metro Atlanta back in April and are temporarily living with my father-in-law in Hillsboro, Ga. We closed on the mortgage of our new home this week which will be a Modular home and will probably be ready around mid September. The plan was to build a free standing building for a fish room but I found a used 16x32 foot Cabin that I was able to buy cheaper than I could build. It should be delivered in the next week or two and I can go ahead and wire and plumb it so it will be ready to hook up as soon as we move into the new house. My initial plans call for eight 20's, eight 75's, four 40's and one 125. It has been a year since I closed down the fish room and I'm really getting excited to get some breeding going again.

Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Bought my Discus a Cabin

Very cool Larry and should serve nicely as a fish room er cabin. Are you going to reinforce the floor? Also are you considering an AC unit? If you have doubts about an AC unit talk to Ryan.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Sounds like an exciting project, Larry.
    I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun setting it up just the way you want it.
    Will look forward to seeing some pix of the finished product.

My initial plans call for eight 20's, eight 75's, four 40's and one 125.
    Cool, this is the way to do it. Looking forward.
    Last edited by Allwin; 07-16-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Very cool Larry and should serve nicely as a fish room er cabin. Are you going to reinforce the floor? Also are you considering an AC unit? If you have doubts about an AC unit talk to Ryan.
    Pat
    The floor should be fine as it is. The cabin sits on four treated runners that span from front to back with 4' between each one. The floor joist are treated 2x6 on 16" centers sitting across the runners. It shouldn't have any problem holding the weight of the tanks. AC, lol. It has been 95 to 101 here since May with the heat index sometimes hitting 110. I got lucky because the cabin is already insulated but AC and heat will be necessary. I'm planning on a wall mounted heat pump unit that handles both. I will only plan on cooling to the low 80's and heat to about the same. The well water here is pretty good and I've been doing wc's straight from the tap with no issues so I'm going to use a tankless water heater and run it though a thermostatic valve to maintain the temp going into the tanks.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Sounds like an exciting project, Larry.
    I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun setting it up just the way you want it.
    Will look forward to seeing some pix of the finished product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allwin View Post
    Cool, this is the way to do it. Looking forward.
    Thanks Paul, Allwin. I'm pretty excited about getting this going. Will definitely post updates.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Phil

Larry,

Pulling out all the stops for your fish as expected! That's awesome and you must be so pumped !! Good luck with it all I can't wait to see the progress.

Good deal Larry. Very exciting!!! Can't wait to see the finished cabin with all the fish swimming in the tanks. How did the few fish you acquired do on the trip home?
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichT View Post
    Good deal Larry. Very exciting!!! Can't wait to see the finished cabin with all the fish swimming in the tanks. How did the few fish you acquired do on the trip home?
    Thanks Rich. They did great!! We ended up going to the Shedd Sunday afternoon and then Amanda drove all the way home so I could get some rest. Didn't get a lot of sleep at the show, lol. We got home around 7:30 AM. I changed water on the tanks and emptied out the buckets. They were in the buckets around 24 hours with just a air stone. An hour or two later and they looked as good as they did in Chicago. I tell people that traveling with them in a bucket is the way to go and this was a testament to that. I had the proven pair in one bucket. Seven 4" juvies in a bucket, Six 4" in another and Ten 4" in the fourth bucket. Have to give Kraig a big shout out. I couldn't be happier with what I brought home!!!
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Registered Member

So Cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Thanks Rich. They did great!! We ended up going to the Shedd Sunday afternoon and then Amanda drove all the way home so I could get some rest. Didn't get a lot of sleep at the show, lol. We got home around 7:30 AM. I changed water on the tanks and emptied out the buckets. They were in the buckets around 24 hours with just a air stone. An hour or two later and they looked as good as they did in Chicago. I tell people that traveling with them in a bucket is the way to go and this was a testament to that. I had the proven pair in one bucket. Seven 4" juvies in a bght to the showucket, Six 4" in another and Ten 4" in the fourth bucket. Have to give Kraig a big shout out. I couldn't be happier with what I brought home!!!
    I hear you totally!! But I must admit I am so jealous. I also was totally floored with what Kraig brought to the show. I guess I'll just have to patiently wait for the fall and see what happens.
    Rich

I love it, Mr. Bugg! When I decide to move my grooming shop to my house from in town I hope I can find a building just like it. It looks very inviting with the sitting area out front.

I have an AC in my fish room down here in Southeast Mississippi. I'm having it removed to make more room for tanks. I never use it. I use a dehumidifier in the winter and an exhaust fan in the summer. Of course, my fish room gets a lot of shade, so that might not work for you.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by RichT View Post
    I hear you totally!! But I must admit I am so jealous. I also was totally floored with what Kraig brought to the show. I guess I'll just have to patiently wait for the fall and see what happens.
    You are at the top of the list my friend. I need to get some pics and post them. Maybe later this evening.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Great news Larry, I was wondering when you'd be able to start up again...but forgot to ask you at the show. Good luck on the latest adventure!...
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Real Name
    Wes

Larry, in the last 2 pics I see a perfect spot to hang a hammock. Looking forward to seeing the all new Bugg's --basement--- discus cabin full of fish.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast