AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought my Discus a Cabin

Default Re: Bought my Discus a Cabin

agree with consumer reports , didn't read the second.

yeah, trickle of water, doesn't turn on, so more water wasted to run it at full, once it is running at full in can then turn it back down some.

i paid more, but it was part of a package, so i don't know what each piece was.

it has its drawbacks, i doubt it saves any money, in fact when i look at any of the energy efficient savings claims for any product, they payback is never there, appliances don't even last long enough, its good for marketing though, from a fridge, to a hybid, the payback isn't there or its 20 years like the article says.

but i do like not running out of hot water anymore : )

edit, i said "any product"
    -------
    LED lights aren't just marketing hype, they do save money, and make better light IMHO, not they cost less than what i used to pay for CFL, so they are instant payback.
    Last edited by Jack L; 07-17-2016 at 10:21 PM.

oh, gotcha. didn't know they had these. not too expensive.

I think this will make a very nice fish cabin! I look forward to updates with the fish in there.

Ardan

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Man O man, I am going to have to take a trip to Georgia in about a year. That is a cool building.
    Kraig

Real Name
    Willie

Larry;

Just seal up the windows and fill the whole kit and kaboodle with water!

Willie

Cleared and leveled the site for the cabin. They delivered it this afternoon. Dropped it off the truck and put a level to it and found I had done a pretty darn good job. Sat very level and just had to put a couple of shims under it. As soon as my finger is healed up enough to have full use of my hand I will get to work with wiring, plumbing and walls.

Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Very nice! Looking forward to updates. This is going to be sweet. Good luck with everything, and hope your hand heals up good and quick so you can get on with it.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

I can't wait for you to be all moved in with tanks in place. It's a beautiful setting,

I saw a portable building like that at the portable building place around the corner from my shop. I haven't had the guts to stop and ask how much.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Very nice! Looking forward to updates. This is going to be sweet. Good luck with everything, and hope your hand heals up good and quick so you can get on with it.
    Thanks Joe. I am ready to get with it. Hopefully by next week I can start getting some work done.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I can't wait for you to be all moved in with tanks in place. It's a beautiful setting,

I saw a portable building like that at the portable building place around the corner from my shop. I haven't had the guts to stop and ask how much.
    I can't wait either Liz. It is a beautiful setting and along with keeping and breeding tropical fish I also have a love for gardening. I have a BIG empty canvas to work with. I'll put my retirement to great use.

The buildings aren't cheap by any means but there is no way I could build one for the price I paid for this one used. This one is built by Mennonites here in Ga. but they build them all over the country. The list price for this one new is around $8500. You can usually find these used if you are patient. You can pay cash for them of course but they also do a rent to own and there is little to no credit check so anyone can qualify which means that they end up doing a lot of repo's. While they are in the rent phase the renter is not suppose to do any structural work to them so they are usually in pretty good shape. There is a serial number on them that includes the date built so I know this one was built the middle of 2013 so it is about 3 years old. This one is also already insulated which saves me about another $850.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

You are too dang young to be retired, Mr. Bugg! I'm 65 and I will retire when I die.

It will be years before I can consider working from home. I want to do it one day.

I didn't know that you're a gardener. You do indeed have a blank canvas. You'll need a truck loads of top soil hauled in and spread. Please post pics as you move along. I want to see every step.

I know all about rent to own. It's a scam that poor people fall for. There should be no such thing as rent to own.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 08-08-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You are too dang young to be retired, Mr. Bugg!

I know all about rent to own. It's a scam that poor people fall for. There should be no such thing as rent to own.
    Lol, I'm 62 so yes I'm old enough to retire. I actually could have retired at 55 with 30 years in but stayed on till I was 60.

I agree on the rent to own. They make it sound so easy and desirable and then 6 months or a year or two into it and the buyer starts missing payments. The seller gets the building back and sells it again. I guess because they do their own in house financing they can get away with the no credit check.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Ryan

This is too cool. Congrats on such a great purchase. Ill be quietly following & learning.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Very nice setting Larry and now you can get to work. Is there power on the property you can hook into? How many gallons are you planning on?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Very nice setting Larry and now you can get to work. Is there power on the property you can hook into? How many gallons are you planning on?
    Pat
    No power yet Pat. We will have the well drilled and power run in about 5 or 6 weeks. I think I will have around 1000 gallons.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Is the well water in your area pretty much the same, so that you know what to expect? Around here you can move a mile and get completely different water.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast