AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Bought my Discus a Cabin

Default Re: Bought my Discus a Cabin

..Looks good, Larry.....how are you handling the slop sink drainage?....floor drainage??
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    ..Looks good, Larry.....how are you handling the slop sink drainage?....floor drainage??
    Pvc drain running down each side of the building. All the tanks are drilled and will attach to the floor drain and then go outside. I would eventually like to collect the dirty water to use in the garden but that will come later.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

ah....very good.....tomatoes and peppers love fish water.....
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    ah....very good.....tomatoes and peppers love fish water.....
    I have no doubt this is correct. I just need to figure out the logistics of how I am going to accomplish it. If I plant a garden fairly close then I might have the water flow out of the cabin to the garden and then attach a bunch of drip hoses to the line. Then everyday when I do water changes the drained water would go straight to the garden. The trick is having the garden downhill from the cabin.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Even if they are on the same level it should work out because the tanks are on stands, no?

I tried this twice and it never worked that way. The fish poo will clog up a drip hose immediately. The same happens with drip irrigation, too. I found out that even when I drilled 1/4" holes in PVC I ran out to the garden. I has to be done using containers and a pump. If you manage it, please let me know how you did it.

I have all my water running to a place where I have nothing but woods. I could have a pond if I wanted one. It's so dry here that everything is either crisp or wilting. The trees and privet in that area are healthy and beautiful.

BTW, I stopped by the portable building place and looked at the building. It has a loft. Does yours have a loft? You were right about the price. It was a bit over $8,000. I did the math on the "rent to own" just for fun. It was $371. a month for 36 months. "Rent to Own" is a scam on the people who can least afford it, It is a disgrace, but is is legal. I need to get on my political high horse and write a letter to my senator.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I tried this twice and it never worked that way. The fish poo will clog up a drip hose immediately. The same happens with drip irrigation, too. I found out that even when I drilled 1/4" holes in PVC I ran out to the garden. I has to be done using containers and a pump. If you manage it, please let me know how you did it.

I have all my water running to a place where I have nothing but woods. I could have a pond if I wanted one. It's so dry here that everything is either crisp or wilting. The trees and privet in that area are healthy and beautiful.

BTW, I stopped by the portable building place and looked at the building. It has a loft. Does yours have a loft? You were right about the price. It was a bit over $8,000. I did the math on the "rent to own" just for fun. It was $371. a month for 36 months. "Rent to Own" is a scam on the people who can least afford it, It is a disgrace, but is is legal. I need to get on my political high horse and write a letter to my senator.
    Thanks for the info Liz. I have till next spring to figure out the logistics, just didn't want to have to use a pump but that may be the only way. With as much water as I change it would be a sin to let it go to waste. I don't have a loft in mine. They make it with and without the loft. Lots of people nowadays buying the one with the loft and using it for a little house like the ones you see on tv or for cabin in the woods.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Simplejustin View Post
    Even if they are on the same level it should work out because the tanks are on stands, no?
    The tanks are on stands but you have to have the drain on a slant in the fish room. Running 32' from one end to the other means that the drain will be very close to the floor by the time you take the drain out of the building. It really has to be down hill from there to where ever you are taking it.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

My water is dirt cheap but I hate wasting it. It has this great fish poo in it! I do have 5 50 or 60 gallon plastic containers with bulk heads in them. I could plumb them together easily enough. I'd need a huge pump because where the container would sit is down hill from the fish room and up hill from where I need it. I used to have a swimming pool pump that could do it but a low life neighbor stole it from me.

Watering the plants with fish water is far from first on my to do list, but it's always working in the back of my mind. If only I wanted a pond...
    Mama Bear

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    The tanks are on stands but you have to have the drain on a slant in the fish room. Running 32' from one end to the other means that the drain will be very close to the floor by the time you take the drain out of the building. It really has to be down hill from there to where ever you are taking it.
    How much are you planning on pitching your drain pipes Larry? You can get away with as little as a 1/4" per foot.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member Pompadour Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aja

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    The floor should be fine as it is. The cabin sits on four treated runners that span from front to back with 4' between each one. The floor joist are treated 2x6 on 16" centers sitting across the runners. It shouldn't have any problem holding the weight of the tanks. AC, lol. It has been 95 to 101 here since May with the heat index sometimes hitting 110. I got lucky because the cabin is already insulated but AC and heat will be necessary. I'm planning on a wall mounted heat pump unit that handles both. I will only plan on cooling to the low 80's and heat to about the same. The well water here is pretty good and I've been doing wc's straight from the tap with no issues so I'm going to use a tankless water heater and run it though a thermostatic valve to maintain the temp going into the tanks.
    WOW!! My future Discus will be so incredibly jealous!! I want a cabin to because I want to eventually get stingrays as well and will need extra room for a much much larger tank in the coming years
    "At the end of the day we are not really fish keepers, but water keepers." - Chris Ingham

Real Name
    Phil

Speaking of... It is UPDATE TIME...

Let's go Larry Spill it I want to hear the juicy details!

There are no juicy details. Building a house is a PITA. This will be the 7th primary house I have bought and the first that I had built. I had a lake house built but it didn't count because we weren't pressed to get in it to live. Every time I turn around there is another 3 or 4 weeks added to the completion date. The EMC started cutting trees today to get power in to the house. Probably the first of next week before that is done and then who knows how long it will take them to get it from the last pole underground to the house. Being 1000 feet off the road does complicate things. The well is dug (420 feet) but they still have to come out and install the tank and pump and run the electical to it and plumb to the house. The footing and foundation was put in 2 1/2 weeks ago and the two pieces of the house were brought in 2 weeks ago and the cranes came in 9 days ago and placed the house on the foundation and then it was secured to the foundation from the crawl space up. Half a house at 45,000 lbs swinging in the air from two cranes is pretty amazing, lol. The trim work inside won't be started till power and water are working. Maybe we will be in before Christmas. All that said the fish room hasn't had a lot done to it since we don't have power and water yet. The cabin sits right next to the well so when power is run from the house to the well I will use the same ditch to bury the power to the cabin. When the well pump and tank are installed I will have the water run to the cabin. So everyone is still in the tanks in the garage at my father-in-laws house. All are doing fine.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Registered Member

If there is a "next house" build in your future,include deadline dates for completion along with suitable rebates { fines }for missing them as part of the contract.

Real Name
    Phil

Ugh I know he feeling all too well. Took over two years to build mine.

Set back central. And I was living w my inlaws at the time. It's amazing I'm not locked up for a gruesome crime. Lol

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast