ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Bought my Discus a Cabin

Real Name
    Ryan

Default Re: Bought my Discus a Cabin

Im just in awe of all of this, Larry. Hope it goes well and quick. I will never be able to get a house let a lone accomplish all that building too. So im livin vicariously here because your living my dream. Keep the updates coming.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

If you wanted to water something uphill with the used water, your drains could drain into a sump pump pit, installed in the floor at grade, with an overflow drain in the pit that led outside. A sumo pump could be turned on during water changes to pump the water wherever you want, when not in use, it would just overflow and run down the overflow drain, and gravity feed outside.

-Leland

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    There are no juicy details. Building a house is a PITA. This will be the 7th primary house I have bought and the first that I had built. I had a lake house built but it didn't count because we weren't pressed to get in it to live. Every time I turn around there is another 3 or 4 weeks added to the completion date. The EMC started cutting trees today to get power in to the house. Probably the first of next week before that is done and then who knows how long it will take them to get it from the last pole underground to the house. Being 1000 feet off the road does complicate things. The well is dug (420 feet) but they still have to come out and install the tank and pump and run the electical to it and plumb to the house. The footing and foundation was put in 2 1/2 weeks ago and the two pieces of the house were brought in 2 weeks ago and the cranes came in 9 days ago and placed the house on the foundation and then it was secured to the foundation from the crawl space up. Half a house at 45,000 lbs swinging in the air from two cranes is pretty amazing, lol. The trim work inside won't be started till power and water are working. Maybe we will be in before Christmas. All that said the fish room hasn't had a lot done to it since we don't have power and water yet. The cabin sits right next to the well so when power is run from the house to the well I will use the same ditch to bury the power to the cabin. When the well pump and tank are installed I will have the water run to the cabin. So everyone is still in the tanks in the garage at my father-in-laws house. All are doing fine.
    Hi Larry. I know you have bigger fish to fry, but was wondering how your discus cabin is going? I think its time for some more pics here.
    I've only seen houses been moved on t.v. Care to share some pics of that as well?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

It has been slow going but I have been working hard on the new fish house for the last couple of weeks. Whew!! Electrical wiring has been run. Insulation has been installed in walls and ceiling. Sheetrock has been hung. Not mudding the sheetrock and not painting it either. The fish don't care what it looks like. The two 330 gallon storage tank have been plumbed. The sink and fridge are in place. Racks have been built. New tanks have been drilled and painted. New and old tanks are installed on the rack and plumbed for drain. Today I finished plumbing the water from the storage to each tank. Each tank has a ball valve for clean water and a ball valve for drains. Considering adding float valves in each tank at a later date. New linear pump from Jhemco has been installed and pvc with air valves has been run over all the tanks. Tomorrow morning I will wipe down the tanks and fill them up. Discus will be moving in tomorrow!!!!

Pics and videos to come............
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

I can't wait.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I am looking forward to seeing it Larry!

....great progress, Larry....can't wait for those pics
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    It has been slow going but I have been working hard on the new fish house for the last couple of weeks. Whew!! Electrical wiring has been run. Insulation has been installed in walls and ceiling. Sheetrock has been hung. Not mudding the sheetrock and not painting it either. The fish don't care what it looks like. The two 330 gallon storage tank have been plumbed. The sink and fridge are in place. Racks have been built. New tanks have been drilled and painted. New and old tanks are installed on the rack and plumbed for drain. Today I finished plumbing the water from the storage to each tank. Each tank has a ball valve for clean water and a ball valve for drains. Considering adding float valves in each tank at a later date. New linear pump from Jhemco has been installed and pvc with air valves has been run over all the tanks. Tomorrow morning I will wipe down the tanks and fill them up. Discus will be moving in tomorrow!!!!

Pics and videos to come............
    Can't wait to see the finished product. Aren't you worried about the sheetrock absorbing moisture? (no paint)
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Aren't you worried about the sheetrock absorbing moisture? (no paint)
    My thought as well. Maybe tough now that racks/tanks and plumbing is complete. I'm sure Larry thought this out and suspect all will be fine.
    Looks like you've been kicking a** to get everything up and running.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Can't wait to see the finished product. Aren't you worried about the sheetrock absorbing moisture? (no paint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    My thought as well. Maybe tough now that racks/tanks and plumbing is complete. I'm sure Larry thought this out and suspect all will be fine.
    Looks like you've been kicking a** to get everything up and running.

...Ralph
    yes hopefully. It doesn't need paint to look pretty but something to seal it is advisable.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

They make water resistant Sheetrock. If I remember right it's light green.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member

It should be fine for Mr. Bugg's fish room.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Looks good. A hot house and aquaponics would fix nitrates. Have any discus keepers tried this?

Registered Member

Very excited for you Larry. I know this post is late but just in case you need a better tankless water heater, you can always check this article out. Make sure you get the right tankless water heater for your beautiful cabin and fish room.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast