https://flic.kr/p/K1t5Gc
    https://flic.kr/p/J54TmA

This blue diamond, whose fish is it?

Default Re: NADA Chicago 2016 Photos, please share yours

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    https://flic.kr/p/K1t5Gc
    https://flic.kr/p/J54TmA

This blue diamond, whose fish is it?
    That would be an Alpha Blue bred by Ricky Lim. It was entered in the show by me.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That would be an Alpha Blue bred by Ricky Lim. It was entered in the show by me.
    I thought that was your fish Ryan, but without the tank number in the picture didn't want to be wrong
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That was my favorite fish in the show. To my eye it was the most nearly perfect, but it lacked size compared to many of the other very competitive fish. I do love a big fish. I guess I prefer perfection to size. It was a young fish, still growing. You can tell by the pelvic fins. It was tank 103.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 07-15-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That was my favorite fish in the show. To my eye it was the most nearly perfect, but it lacked size compared to many of the other very competitive fish. I do love a big fish. I guess I prefer perfection to size. It was a young fish, still growing. You can tell by the pelvic fins. It was tank 103.
    Very true, just look at the grand champion, it was one of the smaller participants, but made such a big impression due to body shape/pattern...etc

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I saw that Alpha Blue in person Saturday afternoon and thought it was quite impressive. I wanted to find out whose it was at the time but wasn't able to. Although, admittedly, I did not try hard enough. Was it auctioned off at the Show?

Real Name
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    I saw that Alpha Blue in person Saturday afternoon and thought it was quite impressive. I wanted to find out whose it was at the time but wasn't able to. Although, admittedly, I did not try hard enough. Was it auctioned off at the Show?

No, it went back to Ryan/ was sold before I asked on the 1st day. I don't know the new owner. If interested u may want to give him a yell to see is he has more or can get them in. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...entral-Florida
    Last edited by Wes; 07-15-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It was larger than the BD, but the shape was not better. It's pattern was great, but the BD's solid body was every bit as great. My fish didn't have an ugly spiked Dorsal. It's finnage was smoothly blended to the body and and the fins did not fold over or stick out in any way. Im Mama bear's opinion it was the most nearly correct fish in the show. It was young and needed to grow more. The pic that was posted doesn't do the fish justice. I know. I was there.

But, the judges must judge the fish as they are that day. They cannot let it slide because they can see a fish is young.

I didn't think that the GCH was the best fish. I think that if push came to shove I could have gone with the Thick Line. It was a killer show to judge. I'm glad that my reputation wasn't on the line.
    Mama Bear

Good. That fish needs to go to someone with good taste.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Everyone needs to remember that when judging it is all about how that fish looks at that moment. Fish do not always show their best while the judges are looking. When you have 3 days to look at a fish or you are lookng at pictures then you have all of the time in the world. Sometimes fish chose to hide behind the filters, they hold their fins in, or they just decide to not look their best. I do not think we picked any bad fish. If you took the 10 best fish from the show and judged them 10 different times the results might very well change because of the behavior of the fish at that moment.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I know that, John. I told you as much when you were there. I told you would have a hard time after pre-judging. Remember? So many of the fish didn't show themselves to the best advantage. Thank God they were feeling better at final judging. Y'all generally judge in one fell swoop, don't you? This time it took two looks because the fish looked like crap first try. You know that it's the truth. It was a hard show and no fish was outstanding in every way.

Regardless, I say that tank 103 housed the most nearly perfect fish in the show. It might not have been the best fish but it was always looking good when I saw it. I'd have fought for that fish, but I can only do it on the internet. I hate that I can't do with the weight of the world on my shoulders. I wish I could, but I can't. (don't tell, but the Mama Bear is a bit of a sissy girl)
    Mama Bear

As John explained in the speaker session on Judging, we narrow each class down to the best 4 or 5 in each class. Then those 4 or 5 are judged more strictly with the judging forms to narrow them down to the winners. We have always done all the judging on Saturday afternoon and it meant the room was closed for several hours while we were judging. In an effort to reduce the time the room would be closed we split the judging into two sessions. The first was at 7:00 in the morning when the room normally is empty. At this time we narrowed the discus down to the top 4 or 5 per class. Then in the afternoon we finished picking the winners from those. It didn't have anything to do with how the discus presented themselves in the morning.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Mr. Bugg. dear. I am not criticizing the judging. You guys had a hard job on your hands. Do you not agree that their was not was one fish that stood out as an easy pick? Do you not agree that at pre judging many of the fish didn't look their best and needed a second look?

My choice of BIS means nothing. I just liked the BD fish best despite the fact that it was on the smaller side. It's just the opinion of a simple hobbyist.
    Mama Bear

Liz, sorry I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just pointing out that this statement ("This time it took two looks because the fish looked like crap first try.") wasn't correct. We didn't take a second look because they weren't showing well the first try. We intentionally broke up the judging session The decision to do that was made prior to the show before we knew how the fish would look. As you and John both pointed out the fish have to be judged as they are at the time of the judging.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Ok. In this case I'm happy that you scheduled it so that you could take a second look. In this case is a second look was necessary. Do you not agree? All I want is a yes or no. I was there, dear.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast