ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 NADA Judging

Default Re: NADA Chicago 2016 Photos, please share yours

NO, sorry I don't agree. There was not a second look. That is my point. If we had have judged all at one time the process would not have been different. With judging you always narrow down the class to the best 4 or 5 and then judge those only to get the final winners. The ones that did not show well Saturday morning did NOT get a second look. They were eliminated. It is the only fair way to judge. If I gave tank 1000 a second look later in the day because it didn't show well then the owner of tank 2000 would ask why his fish didn't get a third look because it still didn't show well the second time. They all get one chance to make the top five and then they get one chance to place or win. No second chances. You are implying that the afternoon judging session was a second look but it wasn't.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Rick

Some of (not all) the fish had a hard time acclimating to the Lombard water. This was more apparent Thursday and Friday, depending on when the fish were tanked. I don't think there was a significant difference in how they showed from Saturday at 7-8:30 am and Saturday at 2:00 pm.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is good enough for me. Them's the rules of judging and you had to go by the rules. Y'all did a good job. It was a hard show to judge. I'm am talking to you, Mr Bugg, not Rick. Any idiot could see that there was a problem with the Lombard water.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 07-15-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Liz you know I love ya and I know we had discussed it at the show. I was posting because I wanted it clear for the people that were not at the show and who did not know about these talks. For people that were part of those discussions your post were perfectly clear but for those that were not there probably not. I was just trying to clear it up for them.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Rick

Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wasn't throwing stones.

BTW, nice house.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I want one

I am starting to take an interest in, but barely scratching the surface, of how to judge a discus. I found Johns talk and Dick Au talk on this topic fascinating. I saw you Liz doing your judging, but didn't have time to pick your brain on how you do it (would have liked to learn from you).
    So, do you, Liz, use the standard judging form? Or do you have your own method?
    John, or one of the other judges, could you post a copy of that official judging form? I saw it at the presentation and took notes, but I am sure the form might help me make more sense of it all. Maybe it could or is a sticky somewhere on this forum?
    Thanks!!
    I think it would be a tough job judging, but I think all of you did a great job!

Ardan

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    I am starting to take an interest in, but barely scratching the surface, of how to judge a discus. I found Johns talk and Dick Au talk on this topic fascinating. I saw you Liz doing your judging, but didn't have time to pick your brain on how you do it (would have liked to learn from you).
    So, do you, Liz, use the standard judging form? Or do you have your own method?
    John, or one of the other judges, could you post a copy of that official judging form? I saw it at the presentation and took notes, but I am sure the form might help me make more sense of it all. Maybe it could or is a sticky somewhere on this forum?
    Thanks!!
    I think it would be a tough job judging, but I think all of you did a great job!

Ardan
    You can find a copy of it here Ardan.
    http://forum.discusnada.org/showthre...A-Judging-area!
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

I have had that form in my head since I took judges training. I could take my time when I did it for fun. I didn't use the point system but I pretty much am aware of it. I was indulging myself in a stress free past time that I get every two years. I just walked back and forth between the fish in each class that struck my fancy as many times as I wanted to...in no way a professional way of judging. I could never handle being a real judge. I would feel that the weight of the world was on my shoulders. It's a shame. I have a good eye.

Ardan, from what little I saw of you I think you have the right temperament. You have been in Discus long enough to be able to see faults and strong points. If you are interested, I think you should peruse it.

I"m sorry that we didn't get more time to chat, too. It's fun looking at fish with other people. I either teach or argue points of conformation with amateurs like me. I even get to grab Nicholson and ask what he thinks which is always a great help to me. Lets do it in 2018.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 07-16-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I have had that form in my head since I took judges training. I could take my time when I did it for fun. I didn't use the point system but I pretty much am aware of it. I was indulging myself in a stress free past time that I get every two years. I just walked back and forth between the fish in each class that struck my fancy as many times as I wanted to...in no way a professional way of judging. I could never handle being a real judge. I would feel that the weight of the world was on my shoulders. It's a shame. I have a good eye.

Ardan, from what little I saw of you I think you have the right temperament. You have been in Discus long enough to be able to see faults and strong points. If you are interested, I think you should peruse it.

I"m sorry that we didn't get more time to chat, too. It's fun looking at fish with other people. I either teach or argue points of conformation with amateurs like me. I even get to grab Nicholson and ask what he thinks which is always a great help to me. Lets do it in 2018.
    Sounds good Liz! I think I would enjoy trying to judge for fun and debating the fish. 2018, Can't wait!

Ardan

Quote Originally Posted by Loosir View Post
    I really enjoyed meeting you all!! I can't wait for 2018, I'm bringing fish this time! So tell me what's more fun, debating fish or baiting Liz??
    Debating fish is a joy... I'm an easy catch when it comes to being baited. Heck, I ask for it. I always get thrown back get just to get do it again when the mood strikes me. It is fun!
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: 2016 NADA Judging

Oh Liz I think we had a good time picking fish apart together
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12