ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kraig Koontz NADA 2016 Discus

Real Name
    Fred

Default Re: Kraig Koontz NADA 2016 Discus

Love those Heckel Cross X Watanabe Larry, looking forward to seeing them develop with time
    Cheers,
    Fred

Uatuma wild red and the Wantanabe spawned today.

Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

That is great. They had been on a long break. They were great parents at my place. I have about a dozen fry here now. Here is a recent video.

Kraig

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Oh, ok. Now I understand, lol. Kraig would have to answer that question but I believe he imported the Wantanabe discus around 4 years ago and he told me it recently started showing the striations so my guess would be at least after it was a couple of years old. My hope is that since it comes from a line of solid Wantanabe discus, it's offspring will include solids and striated discus. Time will tell.
    Larry so sorry for the confusion. The fish you are referring to which was late getting striations is the Jumbo Male Mike came hope with. The one paired up with the Martha Morris female. The female Wantanabe you have is more solid now as she was more striated when she was young.

Sorry to have confused you,
    They are looking great though.
    Kraig

Time for an update on the groups. It's been just a little over 3 months since I brought these guys home from the NADA Show

First up is the Dexter Heckle cross x Wantanabe group. These guys ranged from 3" to 4" when I brought them home. The largest is now 5.5". The heckle bar that first got me interested in 5 of these guys can still be seen but it is not as prominent as it was when I first got them.

Next is the Wantanabe x High Bodied Red Turq. These were 3.5 to 4" when I got them and the largest is now 5.5". I've never seen discus attack food like this group does.

Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Here is the Wild Namunda Red x Wantanabe. They had a very small spawn that are 2 months old and they now have a spawn of about 60 that are 12 days free swimming.

This last vid is of the small spawn which is about 2 months old now. The largest is about 2.5". I have been really please with the growth of these guys. Hopefully the spawn they currently have will progress as well as these.

Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Ralph

They are looking great Larry and think stunning is best suited....what really caught my eye at Nada was the Wantanabe x High Bodied Red Turq.
    I remember that morning looking at that tank against the back wall...and if i remember correctly Rich T also got some.
    If i play my cards right in 2018...I should have the paper work to bring them across the border and believe me it hurt going home empty handed....but all was somewhat fine after finally running into a Tim Horton's coffee shop.Lol
    So hope you have some ready for me Larry.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Ricardo

Looking good as ever Larry.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    They are looking great Larry and think stunning is best suited....what really caught my eye at Nada was the Wantanabe x High Bodied Red Turq.
    I remember that morning looking at that tank against the back wall...and if i remember correctly Rich T also got some.
    If i play my cards right in 2018...I should have the paper work to bring them across the border and believe me it hurt going home empty handed....but all was somewhat fine after finally running into a Tim Horton's coffee shop.Lol
    So hope you have some ready for me Larry.

...Ralph
    Rich didn't get any of Kraig's discus but he certainly "encouraged" me to buy all that I could. A friend of mine from Atlanta split this tank with me so I ended up with 10 of them. There are 13 of the Dexter Heckle cross and both groups have been in 40 breeder's the whole time with daily 50 to 60% water changes. They have grown quite well in the 40's but I'm ready to get them in 75's as soon as the fish room is running.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Rich didn't get any of Kraig's discus but he certainly "encouraged" me to buy all that I could.
    I guess I'm wrong because as Kraig was putting the liners in his bags I could have sworn I noticed Rich picking out fish from that tank.
    Oh well I guess it was my mind in La-La land knowing I had to drive home without Discus. Lol

None the less Larry, you really know how to spend your retirement days.

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 10-22-2016 at 10:26 PM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    I guess I'm wrong because as Kraig was putting the liners in his bags I could have sworn I noticed Rich picking out fish from that tank.
    Oh well I guess it was mind in La-La land knowing I had to drive home without Discus. Lol

None the less Larry, you really know how to spend your retirement days.

...Ralph
    You probably did, lol. He helped me pick out my fish.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Have to say Larry, I just love that Namunda - Wantanabe combo.

Registered Member

Hi Larry,

This post is long over due (almost 4 months now), but better late than never I suppose. I was the one that split the remaining Heckel Cross X Watanabe with you and am very happy that I did. They are doing well. Probably not as well as yours, but I do what I can for them. I'll try to post a picture sometime. Thanks for helping explain the heritage of these fish and giving me the confidence in Kraig's fish to make the purchase. My next post will be to thank him directly. I also wanted to thank you for making me feel welcome from the minute that I walked in the door. I have limited experience with discus, but that didn't seem to matter to anyone that I talked to that weekend. Everyone was friendly and willing to talk.

Looking forward to the next NADA show.

Dan Randall

Quote Originally Posted by RockRiverfish View Post
    Hi Larry,

This post is long over due (almost 4 months now), but better late than never I suppose. I was the one that split the remaining Heckel Cross X Watanabe with you and am very happy that I did. They are doing well. Probably not as well as yours, but I do what I can for them. I'll try to post a picture sometime. Thanks for helping explain the heritage of these fish and giving me the confidence in Kraig's fish to make the purchase. My next post will be to thank him directly. I also wanted to thank you for making me feel welcome from the minute that I walked in the door. I have limited experience with discus, but that didn't seem to matter to anyone that I talked to that weekend. Everyone was friendly and willing to talk.

Looking forward to the next NADA show.

Dan Randall
    Hey Dan, I'm really glad you posted. I'm glad the fish are doing well for you and I look forward to seeing pictures.

Your experience of the NADA Show was very similar to my first one which was the first Show in Dallas. I didn't know a lot of people there but also felt very welcomed. I'm generally introverted until I have a chance to get to know people. At a party I was always the guy standing over on the sidelines. Several NADA members went out of their way to make me feel like I belonged. John, Jim, Willie and Rich to name a few. This is what we want to happen at every NADA Show and I hope that others felt the same way as you. I appreciate your compliments. One of my passions is to share my love of discus and help others grow in the hobby.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123