ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well I did it

Default Well I did it

As I was very happy with my planted tank and how well my plants looked I decided to go with less in favor of my discus. I removed the majority of the plants and decided to go with an anubias island. I kept the two red swords I had and a couple small crypts. Not sure if this is final layout yet but so far I am pleased. Fish probably are. As well618201617450.jpg
    Before
    618201617430.jpg
    After
    618201617943.jpg618201617955.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan925; 07-18-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Well I did it

Beatiful tank. Love the simple driftwood not to big. I notice you have a wavemaker. Is this for the discus? Do they like alot of current?

Thank you. I think I am happy with the simplified look.

It's actually not a wave maker. It's just a nano pump. I have it aimed directly at the anubias. I have it on a timer that is only on with the photo period of my lights. I am hoping that the flow across the anubias will help to deter the gsa that likes to grow on their leaves. The current from the nano pump doesn't bother the discus during the day and its off at night during their rest time.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Thank you. I think I am happy with the simplified look.

It's actually not a wave maker. It's just a nano pump. I have it aimed directly at the anubias. I have it on a timer that is only on with the photo period of my lights. I am hoping that the flow across the anubias will help to deter the gsa that likes to grow on their leaves. The current from the nano pump doesn't bother the discus during the day and its off at night during their rest time.
    so far.... Knock on wood. I do nothing for my anubias and they grow like crazy n healthy never a alge proble.. Now my java ferns, different story. Black spots all the time

My anubias grow very fast as well. Typically only algae I have in my tank is gsa which I'm sure is from lower phosphate levels. Gsa isnt all that terrible but would prefer not to have at all.

I don't have Java fern anymore but had the same issue as you.

I removed a lot of large swords and prior to that had removed all my pygmy chain swords. Those things were growing at an insane rate.

Registered Member

Gta is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bc chick View Post
    Gta is?
    Green spot algae

Real Name
    Filip

Your previous planted setup looks more appealing to me Ryan , but I can understand and support the change that you've made towards easier and better discus keeping practice.
    New setup is also a decent looking discus planted tank.
    Next step that I would consider IIWY would be to change that dark gravel to some finergrained brighter sand bottom.
    This would also add up to better water quality and easier maintenance even further and it can also make your fish display brighter colours .

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Your previous planted setup looks more appealing to me Ryan , but I can understand and support the change that you've made towards easier and better discus keeping practice.
    New setup is also a decent looking discus planted tank.
    Next step that I would consider IIWY would be to change that dark gravel to some finergrained brighter sand bottom.
    This would also add up to better water quality and easier maintenance even further and it can also make your fish display brighter colours .
    Thank you for the suggestions as this is always a work in progress for me. I actually would like to have a white sand bottom just don't know that I'm ready to go through the process of a substrate change.

If I were to go for the substrate change how do you suggest I go about it? I believe read the fish should be removed correct?

I have noticed already that the lightened plant load seems to have the fish using more or the tank space. Also my corys and otos are much more active and less inclined to dart into a hiding place when walking up to the tank

Real Name
    Filip

You can siphon out the substrate in a bucket partially during every WC . That would be easier but it will take more time , a week or so.
    If you want an instant solution-tank tear down , it would be wise to put out your discus in a 5-10 gallons bucket for a couple of hours with aeration an heater in.
    Having a planted setup I have also noticed an increased activty ,more swimming around and less pecking and fights when I have less plants taking their space .

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    You can siphon out the substrate in a bucket partially during every WC . That would be easier but it will take more time , a week or so.
    If you want an instant solution-tank tear down , it would be wise to put out your discus in a 5-10 gallons bucket for a couple of hours with aeration an heater in.
    Having a planted setup I have also noticed an increased activty ,more swimming around and less pecking and fights when I have less plants taking their space .

Thanks for the tips Filip.

I guess I would need something pretty strong to suck up the eco?
    I also notice that my rafflesia is "shaking" at my golden check and they like to go to one corner where the rafflesia is nibbling at the large red sword. Possible pairing behavior?

They also seem to like cruising in and out of the bottom manzanita. I have always found it so funny to watch a large discus swim horizontally to squeeze into a small space to snag some food. Graceful fish swimming practically parallel to the bottom under a piece of wood is a sight.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Thanks for the tips Filip.

I guess I would need something pretty strong to suck up the eco?
    I also notice that my rafflesia is "shaking" at my golden check and they like to go to one corner where the rafflesia is nibbling at the large red sword. Possible pairing behavior?

They also seem to like cruising in and out of the bottom manzanita. I have always found it so funny to watch a large discus swim horizontally to squeeze into a small space to snag some food. Graceful fish swimming practically parallel to the bottom under a piece of wood is a sight.
    i cant wait!

I liked the before and after shots, have to agree with filip in regards to substrate colour. But it's all personal preference.
    Looking good though Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by NeiMan View Post
    I liked the before and after shots, have to agree with filip in regards to substrate colour. But it's all personal preference.
    Looking good though Ryan
    After reading so much on this forum I do prefer the sand and driftwood look. I think I will just wait until I decide to upgrade my tank size and do it then. I'm happy with my tank for now.

Next I want to go much larger with a single strain or possibly 2 strains

Very interesting. Within about 3 days of removing a large number of plants my rafflesia is laying eggs on one of the large swords that I decided to leave. Coincidence? Maybe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast