ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is it common to use Kanaplex and Metroplex at the same time?

Default Is it common to use Kanaplex and Metroplex at the same time?

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I have a tank of 5 healthy discus with one sick one. The sick one has always been a picky eater. And for some reason the mollies would constantly pecking on him (maybe he has fungal growth on him that's delicious?). Anyway, last two weeks he's slowed down on eating. A week ago his fins became clamped, there's a little bit of fin rot, and a little bit of fine powdery white growth on his fins.

Today he stopped eating altogether.

A week ago, a molly and a rainbow fish died with the top of their head turning white.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Have been treating the bloodworms with garlic guard.

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

60 gallon, one year tank. 6 healthy discus. Two juvenile senegal bichir. 5 giant danios. 1 molly.

80% waterchange twice a week.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

A year. Petco black sand. About 2 inches?

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No, I just put water in straight up. I have hard water in Southern California.

8. Parameters and water source;

Tap water treated with prime. Ammonia reading 0. Nitrite reading 0. Nitrate reading about 4-5. I'm not very good with water tests. But my friend did the test for me and said it was all good.

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No.

I know what I should be doing is daily water changes and put the one sick fish in a quarantine tank. But my roommates and I have house guests over and that is not feasible at the moment, unfortunately. The best I can do is to bump up wc to once every two days.

I was wondering if a joint treatment of Kanaplex and Metroplex would do the trick? I've read somewhere online that if you suspect your discus has some kind of bacterial/fungal/intestinal infection, you should treat him with both Kanaplex and Metroplex at the same time. My questions:

-- Has anyone tried this? Is that too much medication at the same time?
    -- Is it bad to expose the healthy discus to this medication? Or are the "healthy" discus already sick but just not exhibiting symptoms.
    -- What is the best way to implement the Kanaplex and Metroplex treatment? I'm a newb so step-by-step would be great thanks!

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Is it common to use Kanaplex and Metroplex at the same time?

Hello welcome to Simply. The one thing that jumps out at me here is the fish's environment. Before I would do anything I would get the discus in a bare bottom tank of their own. Yes if the one fish is as bad as it sounds he needs to be in a hospital tank as he most definitely will not recover in a community tank.

Not real sure what to tell you on the medicating issues, but many here can help you with that.

Best of luck,
    Kraig