AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Trouble with jehmco controller

Silver Member

Default Trouble with jehmco controller

I have a ETCI-1R controller that is reading 4 degrees higher than the tank temp. I used 3 other thermometers to check and those others are all within half of a degree of the tank temp. has any one experienced this type or problem? and does anyone know of a solution, other than keeping an eye on it? i have 2 hydor inline heaters that are set for 84, so I am not too worried about over heating. i called jehmco, but they weren't much help.

thanks,
    jim

Default Re: Trouble with jehmco controller

I don't know about your specific controller but I assume with any controller probes should be cleaned regularly. Have you cleaned temp probe?

Silver Member

I haven't clean the probe. i will do it on my next wc.

thanks of the suggestion.
    jim

Is there some sort of calibration setting? I have a jbj controller that allows for it.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Does Jehmco sell new temp probes? How accurate are your other ones?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Silver Member

There is no calibration. I called jehmco direct. they do sells the probes for $16. but i used a reliable digital thermometer to measure the temp of the tank while adjusting the setting on the controller. the control reads 4 degrees high, but it is consistent. i just adjusted the controller for 86 and my tank is 82.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    There is no calibration. I called jehmco direct. they do sells the probes for $16. but i used a reliable digital thermometer to measure the temp of the tank while adjusting the setting on the controller. the control reads 4 degrees high, but it is consistent. i just adjusted the controller for 86 and my tank is 82.
    Personally, I'd get a new probe for piece of mind. What is $16 in the grand scheme of things when you could lose your discus if it fails?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

That is a pretty expensive controller not to have a calibration option. Personally I use an inkbird and think it works great and does allow calibration.

I would agree with Ricardo though that the cost of the probe would be more than worth the piece of mind

Silver Member

ricardo and ryan bring up good points. i called jehmco about the probe. the tech said that buying a new probe would just be a try and see. it may not be the probe. he said the controllers are susceptible to power spikes, such as losing power and it coming back on again. i turn off the controller every time i do w/c. so, do i buy a probe and have it not possibly be the problem or do i just buy another controller and not worry about it at all?

ryan, can you suggest an inkbird controller? i see there are a few types.
    Last edited by jim LI; 08-05-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    ricardo and ryan bring up good points. i called jehmco about the probe. the tech said that buying a new probe would just be a try and see. it may not be the probe. he said the controllers are susceptible to power spikes, such as losing power and it coming back on again. i turn off the controller every time i do w/c. so, do i buy a probe and have it not possibly be the problem or do i just buy another controller and not worry about it at all?

ryan, can you suggest an inkbird controller? i see there are a few types.
    Jim I'm using the ITC-306T. I read on TPT that there is another model that as a replaceable probe as this model does not.

The ITC-308S has the removable probe.

As for WCs I don't unplug my controller. I just unplug the heater plug from the controller. Controller remains on

Silver Member

Just as an FYI, should anyone run into this situation with this jehmco controller. I have this error on the display - E1

From the jehmco user guide - E1 - Appears when either up or down is pressed when not in program mode. To Correct - If the E1 message appears even when no keys are pressed, replace the controller.