AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrigglers die...every time.

Default Wrigglers die...every time.

Hello all,
    I have a young vertical striped discus pair about 10 months old. They have spawned 6 times in my 29 gallon aquarium. The aquarium has a heater, sponge filter, and breeding cone inside. They get 80% water changes every other day.. The days in between they get 50%. Every water change is done with day old aged water. I use prime as my water conditioner. My ph is 7.6, TDS is 200, and my ammonia Is 0. The last 4 times they have spawned, about 90% of the eggs hatch, and are wriggling on the cone. Slowly, throught the period of the next day or two, they are all dead at the bottom of the tank. Parents still tending to them. They always look to be off to a good start and then they perish. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    sue

Default Re: Wrigglers die...every time.

bump, anyone got help for him? I'm not experienced enough to answer, lol

I've got no clue when it comes to breeding but that's a nice looking pair. Vertical pattern is very cool

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ted

This exact thing has happened to me with the same strain. Very frustrating, still no success after about 10 spawns. I have done everything. See my post:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...nd-left-to-die

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I had a snakeskin pair that had this same type of issue. Long story short....in my case the pair turned out to be to inbred. The fry had crooked tails that prevented them from spawning. I matched them up with different fish and the fry were them completely normal. I am not saying that is the issue here but you need to consider that you might be doing everything right but yet you may never have success with the pair as is.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member SomeFin's Fishy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark

I have to agree with John. It may simply be bad genetics. We have a pair of Blue Diamonds that do the same thing. They have had 5-6 spawns, good hatch rate, the parents taking good care of them, but as soon as they become free-swimming, they simply fall to the bottom and die. When the pair was split up and matched with different mates, the spawns were strong and fry developed normally. It could very well be that the parents are incompatible genetically.

Mark

Similar situation for me, Good hatch rate in TDS of above 150, but the fry dies once they are free swimming even after 10-15 attempts. I tried reducing the tds to 70ish and also reduced water change to 20% for couple of days between free swimming to attachment and it worked for me. My understanding is frys from some gene's of eruptions/some Asian strains/strains went thru several inbreeding are pretty weak to survive in hard water.

I have a few other vertical striped as well. They are all pictured here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...pairs-6-months would splitting up this pair and trying to form a different one be worth it? Thanks everyone for your responses

Wondering if anyone who chimed in has had any updates?

Justin, try doing my last post and keep posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplejustin View Post
    Wondering if anyone who chimed in has had any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Allwin View Post
    Justin, try doing my last post and keep posted.
    Allwin,
    My TDS is right at 70 and has been for their all of their spawns.

Real Name
    Naz

As you mentioned the pair is too young and perhaps that is the reason why. Hopeful as the pair matures you will have sucessful spawns.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

There was no diversity in breeding these vertical, maybe out of 10 to 12 spawning might be lucky to have a batch. These vertical has been bred since Gan Discus back
    in 1990.
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 08-11-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Registered Member

I have a club member at our local aquarium society, he is doing his masters thesis on fresh water salmon, we have had the in-breeding discussion before, he claims that there are studies done, that show salmon inbreeding many many generations and the line become stronger. Apparently There is some type of genetic purification that takes place so this can continue indefinitely.
    Discus do not have the same characteristics?

Registered Member

use ro water instead of prime treated water! Prime kills off the sticky slime On the frys mouth so they starts to fall off to the ground and dies off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast