AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablets?

Exclamation Tablets?

Hi all,
    Considering getting a new tablet , my old one has died after years of slow but good service. I have poured over the tech sites reviews, but wanted a bit more personal feedback so thought I would ask you here. What do all of you use? what do you like about them and what do you dislike? also where did you buy it?

Any info welcome.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Tablets?

Interesting post as my wife was looking into it last week, she went web searching and here is one of her finds, hope it helps you Al http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/tablet-buying-guide
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Phil

It really all depends on what you will be using it for... Is it a lap-top replacement? Is it for browising the web and email? Playing games...

I myself have an ipad, an older version that works fine. I have an iphone, a macbook, so it just kind of connected...

That being said, I have heard amazing things about the amazon fire tablet. I have considered getting one just to browse this very site in bed, or around the house... I am always on my phone and I thought having something a tad bigger would be nice. The amazon price tags are unreal... I think they had a sale this week on the smaller 8GB for like $50 and to double the size was like $20 more...

To surf, play some apps and have e-mail, for under $100 with supposedly an amazing picture and fast processing sounds like a steal to me...

Real Name
    Ralph

Although reviews online can sometimes be good in regards to specs...but I think Al is thinking more so like I would from personnel feedback experiences.
    Some may think otherwise but I use a Surface Pro 3 daily at work and love it. Just getting used to the Windows 10 upgrade. I'm not any tech geek so comment on specs...I use it for mapping, spread-sheets, e-mails, photos etc.
    A little pricey with the many add-on's but had no problems in 2 years.

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 07-29-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Thanks Guys. I guess I am looking for something to compliment my laptop, pc, and smart phone. I would want an HD screen, HDMI port, Micro SD, I will probably use it to watch media content, listen to music, read books, and browse websites. Basically everything I can do on my smart phone but easier on my eyes!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

100% apple iPad.
    Android doesn't even scratch the surface of how smooth apple operates.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Ipad pro. Expensive but outstanding equipment. The big screen saves the eyes late at night. Gave my wife one for her birthday best gift ever. Even I can use it to do my work so! adaptable.
    If you read my post about what equipment I have you now know why she looks the other way when in my fish rooms.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thanks Guys. I guess I am looking for something to compliment my laptop, pc, and smart phone. I would want an HD screen, HDMI port, Micro SD, I will probably use it to watch media content, listen to music, read books, and browse websites. Basically everything I can do on my smart phone but easier on my eyes!

al
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro will have those features.

Registered Member

I have a Microsoft Surface RT (not available any longer) a Surface Pro 3, a Samsung Galaxy 5 Pro, an HP laptop/tablet, and Apple iPad air 2. Among them, The iPad air is a pleasure to use as it is lighter than a feather and has excellent screen and so forth. If only it had Windows (the real Achilles Heel of Apple machines) and USB port it would be perfect. The need for a special WiFi external hard drive (I use many 250 - 500 MB files so they cannot be emailed) is a pain in the sense that I have to load it using my real (PC) computer so it adds an extra step. But... the iPad Air 2 is an amazing experience.

I use my Surface RT a lot for mobile presentations since it has Office and is quite light. I had hoped the Surface Pro would be a true laptop but I dont like the keyboard much better than the Surface RT keyboard and I really hate the prop stand, it is never at a perfect angle. I have several colleagues who use Surface Pro as their only laptop - yikes, I would commit suicide!

The Samsung Galaxy tablet is extremely nice, with a finish near that of the ipad (I also use Galaxy smart phones and the tablet is much like a large one). The problem with Android tablets is that they do not have office and they do not support many of the software programs that I use with the ipad. I do take it on airplanes a lot since it is very comfortable for web browsing and book reading. Actually the iPad is even better for book reading, I have never used anything better.

The HP laptop/tablet - I forget the model, it is the one where the screen pivots to a tablet, is my favorite laptop of all time. I have had it for 3 years and have dropped it several times but it always works and the pivot mechanism seems to be indestructable. It came with Windows 8 which is not one of Microsoft's better products but I changed to Windows 10 when it became available, a much, much better platform. However, I got it at the time because I hoped it would be a "better Surface." However, in tablet mode, it weighs a ton (it is actually very light but very much too heavy to hold for a long time) so I have probably used it in tablet mode less than an hour over the 3 years I have had it. It is an awesome laptop, however.

I have taken a close look at the iPad Pro. It is pretty cool but the screen is just too darn big for me to consider as a replacement for the Air2. I can certainly understand people becoming very attached to them though.

So, what do I recommend? Even with its shortcomings noted above, the iPad Air2 is always a joy to use and both it and the Galaxy Tablet are joys to behold. Comparing them to cars, the Air2 is an Audi A7, the Galaxy Tablet a Ford Fusion (mine has 132,000 miles on it now, has never been in the shop and still gets about 40 miles per gallon - it is not even a hybrid, so I am not criticizing the Galaxy at all!), and the Surfaces are both like my 1995 Jeep Cherokee (it has 280,000 miles on it). They are workhorses but rather crude. In car terms my Surface RT must have close to 280,000 miles on it. I bought it about 2 weeks after Surface was introduced.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Fundulopanchax View Post
    I have a Microsoft Surface RT (not available any longer) a Surface Pro 3, a Samsung Galaxy 5 Pro, an HP laptop/tablet, and Apple iPad air 2. Among them, The iPad air is a pleasure to use as it is lighter than a feather and has excellent screen and so forth. If only it had Windows (the real Achilles Heel of Apple machines) and USB port it would be perfect. The need for a special WiFi external hard drive (I use many 250 - 500 MB files so they cannot be emailed) is a pain in the sense that I have to load it using my real (PC) computer so it adds an extra step. But... the iPad Air 2 is an amazing experience.

I use my Surface RT a lot for mobile presentations since it has Office and is quite light. I had hoped the Surface Pro would be a true laptop but I dont like the keyboard much better than the Surface RT keyboard and I really hate the prop stand, it is never at a perfect angle. I have several colleagues who use Surface Pro as their only laptop - yikes, I would commit suicide!

The Samsung Galaxy tablet is extremely nice, with a finish near that of the ipad (I also use Galaxy smart phones and the tablet is much like a large one). The problem with Android tablets is that they do not have office and they do not support many of the software programs that I use with the ipad. I do take it on airplanes a lot since it is very comfortable for web browsing and book reading. Actually the iPad is even better for book reading, I have never used anything better.

The HP laptop/tablet - I forget the model, it is the one where the screen pivots to a tablet, is my favorite laptop of all time. I have had it for 3 years and have dropped it several times but it always works and the pivot mechanism seems to be indestructable. It came with Windows 8 which is not one of Microsoft's better products but I changed to Windows 10 when it became available, a much, much better platform. However, I got it at the time because I hoped it would be a "better Surface." However, in tablet mode, it weighs a ton (it is actually very light but very much too heavy to hold for a long time) so I have probably used it in tablet mode less than an hour over the 3 years I have had it. It is an awesome laptop, however.

I have taken a close look at the iPad Pro. It is pretty cool but the screen is just too darn big for me to consider as a replacement for the Air2. I can certainly understand people becoming very attached to them though.

So, what do I recommend? Even with its shortcomings noted above, the iPad Air2 is always a joy to use and both it and the Galaxy Tablet are joys to behold. Comparing them to cars, the Air2 is an Audi A7, the Galaxy Tablet a Ford Fusion (mine has 132,000 miles on it now, has never been in the shop and still gets about 40 miles per gallon - it is not even a hybrid, so I am not criticizing the Galaxy at all!), and the Surfaces are both like my 1995 Jeep Cherokee (it has 280,000 miles on it). They are workhorses but rather crude. In car terms my Surface RT must have close to 280,000 miles on it. I bought it about 2 weeks after Surface was introduced.

Ron
    FYI, Android does have MS office

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Monica

I have an Apple Tablet I gave to my mom. I didn't realize that it wouldn't upload photos as it doesn't have the power to do that. Basically, I found myself on a vacation without the ability to transfer photos to portable drives. My best friend had to transfer all my photos off my camera cards and do the work. That's the only problem I found which is why I ended with with a super light weight laptop instead that's a Yoga by Lenova. It hasn't been perfect but it does what I need [other than Adobe photo not working but that's a software issue with Adobe]. Anyway, just make sure you have the ability to load and unload photos or you'll find yourself highly annoyed with yourself. I found the only solution was to pay a buttload of money to get a wireless portable drive and I didn't think it was worth it.

Monica

Registered Member

"Android does have MS office"

Thanks, for some reason I never realized that Office is available for Android. I will check it out. That may well make my Galaxy tablet the winner.

Ron

Real Name
    Frank

Al,

I think the simple answer is to go with your present eco system. If your smart phone is Apple, go with the iPad. You can even go refurbished route which saves a few dollars. If your smart phone is android, then stay within that system. I love my iPad (iPad Pro) and am using it more (not less) over my iMac. In fact, outside of when I am in my Study I only use my iPad. It has effectively replaced any need for a laptop. I also only use my iPad on trips as my laptop replacement.

Frank

I recommend that you see what tablet options are available on Google and there are many video reviews of the best products in 2020 on YouTube. Or I can suggest from my own experience that you watch this review of the best tablets for handwritten notes with a stylus. When I was looking for a tablet with this feature I found this blog where there is all the necessary information about them. With the advent of new technologies, people almost don't use the usual way to take notes and use different devices instead of pen and paper. Therefore, these tablets are now popular.

Registered Member

I also do have a iPad Pro. Powerful machine and and huge screen (especially 12.9” version)

In my opinion it’s should be less pricy, but I can easily recommend it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast