Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Freds Discus Room

Real Name
    Fred

Default Re: Freds Discus Room

Thanks Larry.

I got one 65 set-up and running.
    PSX_20200308_093843.jpg

I will be letting go of the Reds. Somehow the motivation never came back fully after of the lost of my Heckels. Latelly the more time I spend working in the room the more I think wilds should be in there. I took the decision to go back to wilds for me the set-up I built just calls for wilds. I'm a little late in the season so I will need to be patient. I really want another group of young Heckels. Sourcing wilds in Canada is...an adventure.

The 65 was started in case I find something interesting.

Cheers
    Fred

Real Name
    Larry

Nice Fred

Real Name
    Fred

I now have two tanks running, and started my '' TorfKanone" i.e. Peat Canon to prepare some peat water. The Canon is a modern interpretation of the peat bomb use by German breeders. Instead of being a 55 gallon barell its a 3 foot long 4 inch PVC pipe filled with peat. a small pump runs RO water trought the pipe and the water falls back in my 55 gallon barrel that I use for my RO water. it works really well. I'll post some pictures of it broken down.

I really do like the color of the peat water. Now it's just waiting for something interesting to pop up
    65gwithpeat.jpg

Fred

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

That's a sweet idea Fred, very cool! Does peat add any kind of minerals back to RO water or is it primarily a natural water softener? Is the peat somehow sterilized so that microbes or funguses aren't passed into the water column?
    Last edited by danotaylor; 03-15-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Real Name
    Fred

Hi Daniel,
    The peat is a natural softener and acidifier. It will remove minerals. It will add some tannins and humic acids. For me its part of a multistep process to prepare water for wild Discus. I believe that for wilds water is the number one priority to have them strive.

My process is simple.
    First Step: Prepare 100% RO water.

Second Step: Run the "Torfkanone" to get the desired PH... not all wilds have the same PH requirements.

Third Step: Reminelarize. For this step I use either RO Right by Kent or Discus Minerals by Discus Food. I also had some Kent Discus Essentials to add some trace elements. Hardness is dependent on the goal. For growth I aim 130-150ppm. For non breeding adults 100ppm and for attempting breeding again depending on the specie.

Fourt Step: Aerate and heat the water to the proper temperature for the water change.

I learned a lot on my last Heckel Project. I believe that my water regiment was the key to my success. As soon I stoped treating my water it was downhill from there. My tapwater is not good for discus at all.

Fred

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

That's a great process Fred, thank you for sharing that info with us! That's the kind of info any newb getting into wild's needs. Very cool, cheers!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Fred, good to hear of some progress forward and also seeing the fishroom being put to good use
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Fred

Well This Covid-19 sucks.....

I had organised getting rid of my last red and better yet getting a shipment of dozen 3-4 inch Rio Negro Heckels... All this got cancelled just as we went to lockdown.
    The Discus Room has been my home office for the last 2 months, It's a great office with the tanks even with most if them being empty. the noise of the air pump is a great white noise, I find a relaxing place to work.
    I'm glad it's working out as I have been advise that getting back to normal is several months away in my case.

I had an issue with the 35 gallon shelve with the 2X6 bowing a little, the span of 6 feet was to much, I've made some 1X1 steel vertical members that I will install this weekend, then it will be to finish the stand.

Spending more time in there has been very motivational and I've now come to the conclusion that I need to get another 110 gallons tank in to fill in the hole planned for it

This will definitely be a wilds only room. Really hoping that the opportunity to get a dozen of smaller Heckels... I'm crossing my fingers for the fall. It does give me the opportunity to fully complete the room.

Fred

Real Name
    Fred

In the end the room became my home office.I was pretty bumned out t the time with my heckel order being cancelled that I took everything down. With no longer hving to commute to work I ended up with an extra 3 hours a day to myself. The discus bug came back and I went back to my love of Red Discus. Last november I got an order of 10 Red Golden Diamonds discus from Pingco. I grew them out. I am now starting to see some pairing beheviour. Time to reconvert the Discus room into a Discus Room. This time, a little less sterile. My idea is to create more a Discus Lounge... I enjoy siting down and watching my discus with a cold drink. I've been playing with excel to plan this room.

This was the first stand that I built to hold my 75 gallon

75 gallon stand.jpg

The planed layout for the room for now... The goal is to have a 110 gallon tank to hold my adults, three 75 gallons to grow out my offsprings and three 35 gallons to do some breeding.

Layout 2024-2025.png

The stand that I plan for my three 35 gallon cube will also incorporate a small bookshelf, again keeping with the them of a lounge. The main structure is done. I have to build some adjustble feet and start the doors.

breeding rack.png

Here video from last february of the discus,need to an updated one.

Cheers,
    Fred

Its funny how life throws us curves! still I am glad its all coming together for you Fred. Looks like you will have a very cool discus space.

Now only thing missing from this thread are updated pics... looking forward to those!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jake

I'm also looking forward to seeing this fishroom come together. Also, very clever idea to use excel to design layout and the like.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Lets get those updated pictures would like to see everything

Real Name
    Fred

Sorry for the lack of updated pictures. Got side tracked with some garage reorganisation for an engine and transmission change/upgrade on the race car. I have to finish some adjustable feets for the breeding rack. I going on vacation next week and plan on doing some major work in there.

Cheers
    Fred

Real Name
    Fred

The RGD have been transfered in the 110 gallon, need to build the doors for the stand. The 75 has been moved. The breeding stand is in place need to add the sides and work on the doors. Plus add the small book shelf.20240104_180952.jpg

20240104_181000.jpg

Later this spring I will build a double tier 75 gallon stand to add to the room.

Cheers
    Fred
    Last edited by jawfish; 01-04-2024 at 08:23 PM.

Real Name
    Jake

Thanks for sharing the update Fred, it's coming together nicely! I think I'm spotting something super ingenious here - did you by chance add leveling feet to the bottom of your stands? If so, I LOVE that idea! I bet it's a lot easier to level instead of using some kind of shim to get it level.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast