ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Freds Discus Room

Real Name
    Fred

Default Re: Freds Discus Room

The insulation is raised another 2.5 inch higher. For ease of drywall installation I'm putting another piefes of horizontal 2x4. The insulation will rest on that higer piece

Real Name
    Rick

maybe a strip of cedar instead?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Keep your drywall/sheetrock 3" off the floor, trust me on this. I would not use 2 x 4's for stud's either, rather go with metal.
    I think my solution to this (eventually) is going to be float valves into each tank. I am hopefully running the water lines today thru 1/2" pvc to each tank and have ball valves for each tank. Thinking I will put float valves between the ball valves and the tank. This way I can close the float valve while I clean and drain the tank and then open it up to fill the tank and not have to worry about overflows. I think I'm the worlds worst when it comes to overflows. I'm hoping to have fish moved to mine by this weekend.

Enjoying watching your build but anxiously waiting to see what you do with the killer reds.
    Last edited by Larry Bugg; 03-01-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Fred

Cedar is a great idea... I was also thinking pressure treated wood.

Thanks Larry, I've been gollowing your discus cabin and I have to admit that I'm aiming for that in the long run.

Dud I mention that I'm drilling my sumps to have an overflow to the drain ? This will be an insurance in the case a float valve is stuck open... I'm pretty friendly with Murphy

Yhea I'm really pump with the idea of doing the reds, I learned a lot with my red covers and the mistake of not keeping 20 to 30 discus to grow to 4-5 inches. In the past I would only keep 10 at the most and then form a pair. I just need to be patient for the next order Rick from Canadianaquafarm brings in... Can't go wrong with a Sponsor.

Fred

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul M. Kaplowitz

Dear Fred, Do not use pressure treated lumber in any interior space. It out gases some nasty stuff.

Real Name
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by pmkappy View Post
    Dear Fred, Do not use pressure treated lumber in any interior space. It out gases some nasty stuff.
    No worries, I was not thinking of using decking wood. I was thinking about bluwood, its especially for interior.
    In the end I ended using regular wood. I'm going to have less than 750 gallons in the room.

Real Name
    Fred

Well a baby and change of plans for my garage to be built this spring made us rethink the whole location. In the end I decided to build a smaller Discus Room in the basement. The room is smaller (8X12), but still will enable me to have funa nd If I ever want something bigger I'll just build myself a small discus cabin :-)

With 3 weeks of vacation, the plan is to start moving tanks in the new year.
    But first step is to clean up the space and do some rewiring and change some damaged sheetrock.

day 1-1.jpg

day1-2.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Nice to see you getting started on this Fred.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Looks good.Will be following your progress.

Real Name
    Ralph

Anything fishroom related gets my attention. Whether space is small or large I think you can make it work Fred and think once complete I'm sure it will look great.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Fred

Thanks Everyone.

Yes its good to be back. Discus kinda took a back seat to many things and its ok...

Even though its small the room will house house about 620 gallons to start with. Enough to keep me busy and have fun. It could be reconfigured to hold close to a 1000 gallons by changing the layout and some tanks, its just going to be crowded . The original idea to having a lounge like room is gone.

One thing that I'm going to do is really work with filtration and experiment. I am curious on the resins some german breeders are using to cut down on water changes. Unlike sponge filters where the cost is a joke this approach take it to the other spectrum, but I did tickle my curiosity, so it does warant more investigations.

I've added insulation to the ceiling, and tomorrow I'm starting to build the wall and door frame.

Cheers,
    Fred
    Last edited by jawfish; 12-18-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Real Name
    Fred

Well I'm due for a little update.

The room is done, now its time for the interesting stuff.
    The central air and waste water evacuation.

28576147_1630328007044287_2375278272754817691_n.jpg

28472194_1630328040377617_5027177633977269949_n.jpg

To evacuate my waste water, I'm simply going to use a sump-pump to pump the water out. Bassicly I'll have a 1 1/2 ABS pipe going around the room and graining into a reservoir and the pump will pump the water out to my yard.

I'll post more updates as things progress.

Fred

Real Name
    Ralph

Thanks for updating us Fred...great cozy fishroom that i can get used to. Only wish I could find time to get mine started...

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    To evacuate my waste water, I'm simply going to use a sump-pump to pump the water out. Bassicly I'll have a 1 1/2 ABS pipe going around the room and graining into a reservoir and the pump will pump the water out to my yard.
    How is that going to work in the winter time?

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Thanks for updating us Fred...great cozy fishroom that i can get used to. Only wish I could find time to get mine started...

...Ralph
    Thanks. Yhea the goal is to make it cozy, since I'm only aiming for a couple of spawns a years in order to raise two dozen fish to adulthood, it better be cozy to enjoy watching them grow in a comfortable chair :-)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast