AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purigen reactor

Default Purigen reactor

I had a brand new Lifeguard fluid bed filter sitting on the garage shelf for 20 years from my reefing days. Well I recently went to discus so figured a Purigen reactor was in order!
    Only cost $60 in Purigen!!!!

It is actually very cool to watch! Mesmerizing!! I bought the tiniest Hydor pump they make and it did not have enough umff to get the bed moving so I had to get the smallest Petco powerhead! That did the trick!

This is not my video but mine acts exactly like this!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLYLd3Bldkw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neptune; 08-08-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Purigen reactor

Did it need any modification? I've really been wanting to do a purigen reactor but it seems all reactors need to be modified or it needs to be custom fabricated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Did it need any modification? I've really been wanting to do a purigen reactor but it seems all reactors need to be modified or it needs to be custom fabricated.
    None, the only thing I had to do was figure out how to plumb it for my particular needs. I just used 1/2" cpvc, 1/2" ID vinyl tubing and then plumbed it up to the fittings that come with the filter(1/2" barbs, etc.)
    The only tricky part was sizing the pump and getting the right lengths of pipes and tubes to sit right next to my sump.

I also plumbed in a marineland quick disconnect and a 1/2" shut off valve to make removal and cleaning easier.

update...
    I was getting a little purigen in the tank so i had to add a little foam filter on the output. I used a little Fluval nano filter sponge and zip tied it to the 1/2 vinyl output hose. Worked!

Registered Member

been using one just like that for so long the plastic is yellow.....these work very good I would like the bigger brother as I think with more room to the top it would work better than my 300. you are correct after settling on the bottom they can be hard to get going but once that bed moves it could all be in the AQ in short order. I bet mine runs on less that 25 gal and hour I use an old AQ systems 404 turned way down and the top adjustment knob also turned down. The resin stays about 1/8" from the top until it get too dirty then it falls to about an 1" below the top much more than that and I recharge. Mine only stay's on my water aging tank with city water and it still gets quite dirty.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    update...
    I was getting a little purigen in the tank so i had to add a little foam filter on the output. I used a little Fluval nano filter sponge and zip tied it to the 1/2 vinyl output hose. Worked!
    panty hose is you friend makes it easier to return to the reactor if need be or put in the bleach with the rest to recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    panty hose is you friend makes it easier to return to the reactor if need be or put in the bleach with the rest to recharge.
    My wife looks at me funny when I rummage through her underwear drawer!

But ya, good idea for recapture!

Registered Member

Purigen by nature is going to have some that will always float and others that are much lighter than the rest of the beads. I skim those out and toss them out to keep my sanity. Yep I used to get strange looks buying boxes of knee high nude panty hose at the store, but at least they didn't have strings attached lol. I keep a liter of purigen in my reactor it works darn good. you just need a slow tumble or you will beat them to death plus you really need as much contact time in the column as you can get to get the best out of it (according to SeaChem)

lol..ya thought about stopping at Walgrens on an errand run to pick up hose! LOL..

Ya I have just enough water running through to get the bed moving. Once it settles in it just looks like a bed of quicksand. I'm keeping it an inch below the Max line.
    Its good stuff and worth the hassle. I just have to figure out how to deal with the stuff like you did. I appreciate your insights!

Its been running about 24 hours, discus look very happy, and the water is invisible!

Also, my sterbai are looking very suspiciously like getting ready to spawn! I think they like the daily water changes and purigen as much as the discus.

Just wanted to give anyone thinking about using a lifeguard a heads up.
    It sprung a leak! Opened my cabinet and there was a small puddle under the sump. A glue in connection was dripping. Not a connection that could be fixed. Had to pull it!
    I read online where a couple people had the same thing happen over time. So I pulled it and going to switch to phosban 150.

Silver lining...
    cleaned out my sump and replaced some floss with poreit(if that's what you call it) foam.
    Used a Bucket Head vacuum to clean it out! Man was that slick!

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Just wanted to give anyone thinking about using a lifeguard a heads up.
    It sprung a leak! Opened my cabinet and there was a small puddle under the sump. A glue in connection was dripping. Not a connection that could be fixed. Had to pull it!
    I read online where a couple people had the same thing happen over time. So I pulled it and going to switch to phosban 150.

Silver lining...
    cleaned out my sump and replaced some floss with poreit(if that's what you call it) foam.
    Used a Bucket Head vacuum to clean it out! Man was that slick!
    I read a lot of Amazon reviews about them having leaks. Bummer

Picked up a used phosban 150 reactor off craigslist. cleaned it up and set it up for Purigen.

MUCH nicer than the lifeguard. Cleaner install, runs cleaner because the purigen can't escape as easily, flow control is better and stays set when turned on and off.
    The only downside is it is smaller. It only holds about half the amount the Lifeguard did, but its still a lot.

I heard the little rubber elbows crack and leak over time so I just eliminated them and stuck clear vinyl tubing right onto the barbs. Worked just fine.
    Much happier with this setup than the lifeguard.

Holds purigen with none escaping? Any modification needed?

I was thinking of trying to make one of these work

http://www.aquacave.com/skimz-br83-b...h-dc-pump.html

No mods needed. But I eliminated the rubber 90 degree elbows and just stuck vinyl tubing right on the in/out barbs.
    I also added a little extra filter pad material in the top and bottom to catch any purigen.
    Other than that, just vinyl tubing to the powerhead in the sump.

That aquacave one looks like a lot better construction but out of my price point!

I think I have under $50 into this one.

Just be sure you can turn that pump down low enough to not blow out the purigen. Purigne is not a lot heavier than water and it does not take much current at all to get it moving.
    Last edited by Neptune; 11-06-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Here it is, very straight forward.
    In the third picture, the 1/2" pvc is connected to the powerhead in the sump, there is vinyl tubing on the top of that pipe that goes to the inlet on the reactor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast