AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Cherry Shrimp

Registered Member

Default Red Cherry Shrimp

I ordered about 12 Cherry Red Shrimp that are advertised to be between 1/2-1" in size. I figured they'd be a nice addition to the discus tank as long as they have places to hide like dense grass n plants. Will this be a bad addition? My discus are medium in size. Not yet fully grown. I also have one angel about the same size..

Default Re: Red Cherry Shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti View Post
    I ordered about 12 Cherry Red Shrimp that are advertised to be between 1/2-1" in size. I figured they'd be a nice addition to the discus tank as long as they have places to hide like dense grass n plants. Will this be a bad addition? My discus are medium in size. Not yet fully grown. I also have one angel about the same size..
    I'd like to know how this works out. I wanted some colorful shrimp for my tank but figured they would be a quick expensive snack. I did end up with a ghost shrimp as a hitch hiker. He was in the tank before adding the discus. He still has seemed to survive

Real Name
    Ryan

Bamboo shrimp & amano shrimp have done very well in my discus tanks. With RCS, IMO, It would depend on your scape, how heavily planted with shrimp hidey spots, etc. i had a few RCS make it in my 125 planted with discus before, but it had a huge carpet of staur reps for hiding. But odds are they could at any moment be grabbed as a snack. Discus have gobbled cardinal tetras before. Lol
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Ryan

I think that angel would be more of a threat.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Excellent snacks for discus. Rich in protein especially the pregnant one

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

My discus never ate ghost shrimp...I had added them just to see their temperament...in fact I ended up accidentally siphoning them out ...so this is hit and miss....

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    My discus never ate ghost shrimp...I had added them just to see their temperament...in fact I ended up accidentally siphoning them out ...so this is hit and miss....
    My ghost is pretty brave. He swims right in front of discus mouths and is still going. He had one close call when he swallowed a blood worm. You can only imagine what a red worm in a clear body did to grab the Discus attention lol

Registered Member

The shrimp are supposed to arrive today and I haven't been able to find all the nutrient biological bacterial powders to set up the right environment for them. I'm afraid I'll have to drop them into my 75 and hope for the best...��

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    My ghost is pretty brave. He swims right in front of discus mouths and is still going. He had one close call when he swallowed a blood worm. You can only imagine what a red worm in a clear body did to grab the Discus attention lol
    That must have been hilarious...

Scotti, make sure you feed them really well, 15-30 mins prior to introducing your shrimp...be a little extra generous if needed,,,all the best!

Real Name
    Steve

I've had cherry shrimp in my 125 discus display tank for years. I have found that some discus will eat them and others will ignore them. If you have plenty of hiding places, most of the shrimp will survive and reproduce. Cherry shrimp are like cockroaches, they always seem to find a way to survive and multiply.

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    I've had cherry shrimp in my 125 discus display tank for years. I have found that some discus will eat them and others will ignore them. If you have plenty of hiding places, most of the shrimp will survive and reproduce. Cherry shrimp are like cockroaches, they always seem to find a way to survive and multiply.
    x2... Except when I went away for 3 days... All gone. Even the teenie tiny babies were hunted down and gobbled up. My Amanos are just fine though due to size. Still going to add cherries again in the future
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your replies. They haven't arrived yet. Said 8/10, now 8/14. Who knows when. Hopefully they're not out there being shippied around like the tracking says.
    Where can I get a prefilter sponge that is made to slip over the filter intake?

Registered Member

I know this is an old thread but I'm curious what the outcome was... did the shrimps last long ? I thought about putting 200 plus cheap grade cherry shrimp in the discus tanks to see if the fishes would eat them....

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Pipa,

If you've fed brine shrimp or mysis shrimp then I'd say your RCS are toast. I have cardinals, rams and discus all go after RCS with 100% attention and close to 100% success.
    Luckily I have a colony growing in my sump so they make a lovely occasional live snack fed on the exact food that I feed my discus and which sometimes makes it down into the sump.

Hate to hijack this thread but it relates. What is qt process for inverts? I'd really love to add some large amanos if possible.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast