ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Cherry Shrimp

Real Name
    Sean

Default Re: Red Cherry Shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Hate to hijack this thread but it relates. What is qt process for inverts? I'd really love to add some large amanos if possible.
    I would do a 3 week observation period and then put in a hero fish for another two weeks of careful observation. If all is well after the two weeks with the hero fish then you should be good to go.

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Pipa,

If you've fed brine shrimp or mysis shrimp then I'd say your RCS are toast. I have cardinals, rams and discus all go after RCS with 100% attention and close to 100% success.
    Luckily I have a colony growing in my sump so they make a lovely occasional live snack fed on the exact food that I feed my discus and which sometimes makes it down into the sump.
    That's a great idea to keep them down in your sump. They must make it a lot easier to keep it clean with them in there. Are they able to breed without a substrate in your sump?

I have kept cherry shrimp in my 40 gallon breeder with Discus. I started with 7 they reproduced to over 250+ over a period of six months I think. I did sell most of them and I still have a lot. My 40 breeder is currently housing 2 wilds from the past 4 days. Wilds are trying to catch them but are failing ( I think ). Here is what I learned - Cherry shrimps do grow rapidly with higher temperatures but also their life span decreases too.

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    I have kept cherry shrimp in my 40 gallon breeder with Discus. I started with 7 they reproduced to over 250+ over a period of six months I think. I did sell most of them and I still have a lot. My 40 breeder is currently housing 2 wilds from the past 4 days. Wilds are trying to catch them but are failing ( I think ). Here is what I learned - Cherry shrimps do grow rapidly with higher temperatures but also their life span decreases too.
    Wow that's an incredible rate of reproduction. Now I can see why people are selling them. It's kinda hard for me to believe that there are certain strains that command such a high price tag though. They must be rare phenotype expressions or something like that.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Hate to hijack this thread but it relates. What is qt process for inverts? I'd really love to add some large amanos if possible.
    same process

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    Wow that's an incredible rate of reproduction. Now I can see why people are selling them. It's kinda hard for me to believe that there are certain strains that command such a high price tag though. They must be rare phenotype expressions or something like that.
    I agree, I haven't done enough research on other shrimps strains either but I currently purchased 8 blue diamond shrimps with some of the money I made selling cherry shrimp. Raising these 8 blue shrimps separately with minimum care and water changes they are eating well so far. Lets see how they thrive

Ryan and Ricardo, I know you mentioned qt process for 'amanos', I personally haven't raised them. But I do know any shrimps do need good and proper acclimation before adding them to your tank. I did not quarantine any inverts till date and I never experienced any issues. But to save your shrimps from shocking themselves, do a proper acclimation as shrimp are more sensitive to different water parameters. I float them(bags them come in) and add tank water little by little to the bags.

I would do a 3 week observation period and then put in a hero fish for another two weeks of careful observation. If all is well after the two weeks with the hero fish then you should be good to go.
    I wonder how often that hero fish feels like you just dropped them at a buffet in that qt tank lol
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

That's a great idea to keep them down in your sump. They must make it a lot easier to keep it clean with them in there. Are they able to breed without a substrate in your sump?
    I have seachem matrix on the intake side and they reproduce quite well there. There is also some on the return side and I've had berried females on that side but I've never seen babies. Maybe they get sucked into the return pump though. I don't do any cleaning there just swirl up the matrix rocks every once in a while.

I guess discus and red cherry shrimps are a case by case basis. Even my smallest discus actively hunt and eat RCS so they don't last long up in the display tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12