AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fins edges turning black

Default Re: Fins edges turning black

My golden check, checkerboard & rafflesia all have black tail. My checkerboard has a pepper moustache. I'd highly recommend ditching the black substrate. The peppering can get worse depending on genetics. My pbs showed relatively minimal peppering but all fish have brightened since changing to white sand. Pepper has decreased on my checkerboard as well

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

I vote for peppering ... but both the fish have some fin damage...is that onset of of fin rot?

get rid of substrate and do at least 75 % WC daily for few days...say 3-4 weeks or so...

Registered Member

Dang. I'll ditch the black and change to light colored sand. I guess if I don't want to waste the black, I'll just have to set up another tank.....what a shame...lol!��

Registered Member

Off topic. Where would I find a pre filter sponge that slips onto the intake? None of the pet stores here carry them.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti View Post
    Off topic. Where would I find a pre filter sponge that slips onto the intake? None of the pet stores here carry them.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006U...-eL&ref=plSrch

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Scotti how old are the fish?
    They are about 4 months old/young

Registered Member

Perfect. That's what I ordered this morning...

Registered Member

image.jpg
    I swapped out the substrate and made sure I'll be able to vacuum all surfaces. Since its out in the family room, didn't want to go bare bottom. I hope this is more suited for discus..

Silver Member

Actually sand would be best for planted but nothing beats a bare bottom. But I can understand where you're coming from as a "family room" tank, more pleasing to the eye, but remember it isn't all that for you discus because they're still juvie, which needs the best food/often food/excellent water quality(everyday wc)/and Consistency if you want them to grow to their full potential. Now if they were fully grown, then planted would be more suitable. As for your discus, they do not look like they're sick, besides all Pg blood's peppering is normal, it's in their genes. Although there are breeders out there today who have tried to discard/minimized this trait, it still exist and of course you'd pay a higher price for those that has no peppering, but if it breeds w/a none pg, then the peppering cycle begins again.... Although for some, I think "peppers" brings out their character, only some. It all depends on how you look at it I guess :-) But yes, fish picks up surrounding colors so go light will def minimize their peppering and just keep up w/your wc and feed them well and Enjoy your new pet friend. Best :-)

Registered Member

Thank you.
    I tried to find sand yesterday and since I'm off weekends and didn't want to take a chance with this little guys health, I took what I could get without driving a couple hours. I did ask around and nobody could tell me definitively if they had the sand I was looking for so... I did what I thought was best for them. For now...
    LOL...Just noticed Camthi609 where you're at. I've been here in Central California now about 2.5 yrs. Moved from Oahu after living there 24 yrs. I miss it...anyways...
    Last edited by Scotti; 08-15-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti View Post
    Thank you.
    I tried to find sand yesterday and since I'm off weekends and didn't want to take a chance with this little guys health, I took what I could get without driving a couple hours. I did ask around and nobody could tell me definitively if they had the sand I was looking for so... I did what I thought was best for them. For now...
    LOL...Just noticed Camthi609 where you're at. I've been here in Central California now about 2.5 yrs. Moved from Oahu after living there 24 yrs. I miss it...anyways...
    I'm also in Cal. Bay area. I was able to find white pfs at ace hardware. The gravel is so tough to keep clean. I thought I did a great job but when I removed it I couldn't believe how much stuff was still in there. Especially once your plants start to fill in. The roots trap so much debris

Silver Member

Hahahaaa, I moved from Ca. over 20yrs ago, ended up in La. for a job offer and then here after I sold my business in '07. Loving it but I'm beginning to get that island fever, lol. Small world, yeah.?. Best w/your new pets and pl keep us utd and we always love pictures!:-).

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I'm also in Cal. Bay area. I was able to find white pfs at ace hardware. The gravel is so tough to keep clean. I thought I did a great job but when I removed it I couldn't believe how much stuff was still in there. Especially once your plants start to fill in. The roots trap so much debris
    Damn. Thought I was doing the right thing. Sh$t!! I'm not swapping again for a while. Too much work. I tried something a long time breeder does religiously. I put a goldfish/koi in with them. The breeder swears by this. The gold fish is constantly picking up the leftovers and even recycles the discus droppings. Apparently discus have a very short digestive tract and fast metabolism whereas the goldfish/koi have a very long digestive tract. Discus waste apparently is filled with nutrients the goldfish recycles and turns into useless waste.
    It sounds logical and makes sense so, I'm trying it..
    I know there may be pro/con opinions about it, but let's see if this works..
    Thanks and Aloha!

Registered Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast