AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Test #3 – Growing out discus fry with limited water changes and plants/algae scrubber

Real Name
    Jφrgen

Default Re: Test #3 – Growing out discus fry with limited water changes and plants/algae scru

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I'm the wrong one to ask on BH recipes, I don't feed the crap
    That's interesting Rick. Is their a good thread on this? What food are you using and how often for juvies/adults?

I'm feeding BH and D50+ but I really find the BH to be messy.

Registered Member

Default Re: Test #3 – Growing out discus fry with limited water changes and plants/algae scru

Here are a couple of photo's of some juvies of mine, within a week age of yours. These were raised with traditional methods. Nothing special, just some basic browns. The purpose is to compare the regions on my fish to yours that I highlighted.
    What was your grow out regiment?
    Thanks

Real Name
    Rick

Good food and 2x daily water changes.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Jφrgen

Good food and 2x daily water changes.
    But what do you feed, since you do not use BH?

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    But what do you feed, since you do not use BH?
    I feed Al's FDBW's, a pellet, and a flake. I really don't hate BH, that was an inside joke (but I don't feed it), however for the OP's purpose I think there are cleaner foods out there.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Jφrgen

I feed Al's FDBW's, a pellet, and a flake. I really don't hate BH, that was an inside joke (but I don't feed it), however for the OP's purpose I think there are cleaner foods out there.

-Rick
    Is there a good thread on this? I thought all of you with such big nice fish were feeding BH. I'd love to get away from it. Really messy!

I've tried some FDBW, but thought it was just a snack and not as a full meal as BH. They don't eat it however. Not even after 2.5 weeks of no food when I was abroad.
    Last edited by LoGeek; 01-06-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Just being sure you understand the FDBW are blackworms, not blood worms. The bloodworms are often considered snack food, mostly water, but the FDBW are high protein. Yours would be the first fish I've heard of that didn't like them many here use them, and Al the forum owner sells them (Aquatic Suppliers). I use them and a pellet.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Jφrgen

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Just being sure you understand the FDBW are blackworms, not blood worms. The bloodworms are often considered snack food, mostly water, but the FDBW are high protein. Yours would be the first fish I've heard of that didn't like them many here use them, and Al the forum owner sells them (Aquatic Suppliers). I use them and a pellet.
    I checked and I have blood worms! Would that explain why they don't eat it? More likely they'll eat the black worms if I can find them here?

Real Name
    Steve

Check out the banner that is often at the top of the page for Aquatic Suppliers, or find them in the Sponsor section. I don't know if Al can ship to you or not.

Real Name
    Jφrgen

Yes, importing from US might be an idea. I found these in UK which is easier because it's also in the EU. Are these australian worms the same?

http://seasideaquatics.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=198

Also they seem really expensive!

Real Name
    Steve

Yes, I think so. Al's are from Australia too. His are $260 for 1Kg, not sure what the exchange rate is. They're not cheap but the fish love them. I mentioned your thread to him and he may chime in and suggest a source for you.

Real Name
    Jφrgen

So how long would a kg last for 10 discus? Is it in cubes? How many gr is one cube and how many would you feed?

Real Name
    Steve

You can buy it loose or in roughly 1.5x1.5x1 cm cubes. I feed about 1 cube for each 2 adult fish at each feeding. Playing with the math, the Kg is about 20x20x15 cm, 6000 cm^3, or ~2500 cubes, since they're not packed tightly. You can buy smaller quantities too.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 01-06-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Real Name
    Jφrgen

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    You can buy it loose or in roughly 1.5x1.5x1 cm cubes. I feed about 1 cube for each 2 adult fish at each feeding. Playing with the math, the Kg is about 20x20x15 cm, 6000 cm^3, or ~2500 cubes, since they're not packed tightly. You can buy smaller quantities too.
    Thanks! I would need about 2kg a year then for 10 discus. It seems very expensive compared to BH.

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

I feed Al's FDBW every once in a while also. They are great but get sucked into my overflows.

5 months old pics from yesterday below.

Only Water Changes since August 2015:
    - 50% August – November 2015
    - 5% - December 2015
    - 5% - January 2016
    - 32% - February 2016
    - 50% - March 2016
    - 2% - May 2016
    - 1% - June 2016
    - 3% - July 2016
    - 4% - August 2016
    - 60% & 40% - September 2016
    - 20% - October 2016
    - 30% - November 2016
    - 60% - December 2016

Temp: 83
    Nitrates: 3
    TDS: 110
    Redox: 385
    PH: 6.7
    Phosphates: 1-2 (I add phosphate supplements)

discus 11.jpg
    discus 22.jpgdiscus 33.jpgdiscus 44.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast