ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel's 75 G + 20 G sump DISCUS TANK

Default Re: Daniel's 75 G + 20 G sump DISCUS TANK

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I guess your 2 larger turquoise discus are the ones from the LFS. They look very emaciated and not in good shape
    This is a concern I have also. Both of these discus look to be in very poor health. Very thin and gaunt looking.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Welcome to discus and to forum Daniel.
    The biggest problem that any experienced aquarist but novice discus keeper like your self has IMHO is that he is well thought to completely rely on NO3 and PO4 .
    The problem is that discus are more concerned with the unmeasurable parameters of the water such as bacteria , parasite , viruses , flaggelates, and many other heterotrophic organisms that live in our tanks unnoticed .
    That's why simply its not enough if you keep your No3 low but you have to keep the environment very clean and water frequently changed.

Info. on the Stendker site about the stocking numbers and the WC ing routine are way to optimistic for the real world and IMO are made to serve the main purpose , and that coming from the sellers perspective is profits , offcourse.

I guess your 2 larger turquoise discus are the ones from the LFS. They look very emaciated and not in good shape , so beware of cross-contamination and wait just a little more before you order some other discus here.Problems may still arise.

Much more and larger WCs along with a frequent tank and filter cleaning and a max. number of 8 discus would be a great start for you IMHO.
    Tank is looking great. I agree with Filip and Larry though. Turqs look pretty skinny. Have you noticed this?

Registered Member

Welcome to discus and to forum Daniel.
    The biggest problem that any experienced aquarist but novice discus keeper like your self has IMHO is that he is well thought to completely rely on NO3 and PO4 .
    The problem is that discus are more concerned with the unmeasurable parameters of the water such as bacteria , parasite , viruses , flaggelates, and many other heterotrophic organisms that live in our tanks unnoticed .
    That's why simply its not enough if you keep your No3 low but you have to keep the environment very clean and water frequently changed.

Info. on the Stendker site about the stocking numbers and the WC ing routine are way to optimistic for the real world and IMO are made to serve the main purpose , and that coming from the sellers perspective is profits , offcourse.

I guess your 2 larger turquoise discus are the ones from the LFS. They look very emaciated and not in good shape , so beware of cross-contamination and wait just a little more before you order some other discus here.Problems may still arise.

Much more and larger WCs along with a frequent tank and filter cleaning and a max. number of 8 discus would be a great start for you IMHO.
    Thank you very much for your comments and teaching me. I really appreciate it !!

I was not aware of your comments about parasites... etc. My mistake.

I was neither aware of avoiding mixing discus from different origins. Again my mistake.

What is done, is done, now I will fight to keep them in good conditions.

About the 2 Turquoise fish, the one near the surface, in that picture, come from the LFS (has vertical lines and is more on the blue side). The other is a Stendker (is the one with horizontal lines).

Both are the strongest discus of the group. They both are dominant. The one of the LFS was from the very start the owner of the tank. The Stendker one defeated him and now both share the first and second place. They eat like crazy. They are the first eating and also the last ones. Those 2 do not stop eating until no food can be seen in the bottom. Unfortunately that picture do not show what is really happening in the tank.

I will keep updating this thread. For good of for bad, I will let you all kniw what is going on with this tank.

Thank you all again !!

Daniel

LFS

Stendker

Mentioned picture

Last edited by DanDiscus; 08-21-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Real Name
    Phil

I mean if that pic doesn't speak a thousands words right there...!

If that doesn't show you tonstybaway from that LFS nothing will...

Are you opposed to trading the LFS back for credit?

What's done as done as far as contamination but you keep up your routine and you will have some nice for but those two will not be so great IMO

Registered Member

Sorry.... what is tonstybaway ?

Please, don't take it that I am having fun. English isn't my mother language and I would like to understand that word.

Thank you !
    Daniel

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by DanDiscus View Post
    Sorry.... what is tonstybaway ?

Daniel
    I think he meant to say 'not to stay away'. Just a mis print. Your English is very good.

Good luck with solving your problem, but from my experience l have found that part of having good success with discus is buying quality stock. Yes, it sometimes costs a lot more money, but you save yourself having the heartache of searching for answers for problems down the track
    Last edited by two utes; 08-21-2016 at 10:34 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    What's done as done as far as contamination but you keep up your routine and you will have some nice for but those two will not be so great IMO
    I agree on this comment 100%. Returning a fish will not change what has been done.

Your expert eyes are probably OK. Could be that those 2 discus will not be nothing good in the future. Understanding what fish has potential and what fish do not will be part of my learning curve.

Now I will focus on their survival. At this time I don't care if they all finish as "standard discus". If they stay as they are today it will be fantastic, to me.

I am not targeting to have something special, as of today, because I am learning.

In the future, if I go through this first stage, will be like with the Marine tanks. 20 years ago I started with only fish, then I moved to soft coral, then to LPS coral and in the last 3 years I have been battling to keep Hard Corals (SPS, Acroporas), and every day I am still learning a lesson there. Discus will be like that.

The reason, for me, to write this thread is to keep tracking of my journey, and let others know what I am doing. I hope there are more successes than disasters....... I hope !!! .

Best !
    Daniel
    Last edited by DanDiscus; 08-21-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I think he meant to say 'not to stay away'. Just a mis print. Your English is very good.

Good luck with solving your problem, but from my experience l have found that part of having good success with discus is buying quality stock. Yes, it sometimes costs a lot more money, but you save yourself having the heartache of searching for answers for problems down the track
    Thank you !!! And you are correct about quality stock. That is way from now on I will stay 100 % with Stendker Discus.

BTW, I have read all your thread in the Gral Discussion Forum, and you are doing a great job. Thank you for sharing it. That is a thread I have read with attention and I will follow it. There are many more too. Simply Discus is fantastic, as it is Reef Central. Great forums, full of experts, willing to share their experiences.

Daniel
    Last edited by DanDiscus; 08-21-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Well with the pic I feel good about the stendker. It doesn't look emaciated in the new pic at all. But the pic of the lfs discus confirms my concern about it. In the new pic it is clear that it is very stunted. Doesn't mean that it can't be a healthy addition to your tank with a lot of love and care but don't look for it to grow out to it's full potential.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Well with the pic I feel good about the stendker. It doesn't look emaciated in the new pic at all. But the pic of the lfs discus confirms my concern about it. In the new pic it is clear that it is very stunted. Doesn't mean that it can't be a healthy addition to your tank with a lot of love and care but don't look for it to grow out to it's full potential.
    Larry.... thank you for pointing me that. I will keep an eye on that fish and learn from his development.

That is,what I was referring too. Today, both fish looks good to my eyes. Still I have a long path to walk.

Thank you !!

I better go to sleep now :-)

Daniel

Registered Member

For my records.

Today Nitrates were at 5 ppm . Salifert test kit.

Registered Member

Yesterday the last set of Discus have arrived (August 24, 2016). Most of them started to it after 24 hours.

I have added also 3 battery powered air pumps to my white pipe seen in next pictures. Sorry, I do not know how to call that. It is used on the Hamburg matt filters. I saw it in Internet. But 1 pump do not have enough power to pull water through it. 3 are OK. If there is an outage, then they start. That will keep a flow of water through the filters. I will add this weekend 2 to the display tank.

I do have a generator that can feed the most important aspects of the house, plus the tanks. But, when electricity goes off not all the time there is someone at the house.

OK, no more Bla Bla. Now I need to enjoy the tank and keep its husbandry and maintenance.

I have to be honest. If these discus stay as they are, for me they look already amazing. In other words, my objectives are far away of getting the perfect discus or good pairs to breed.

Daniel

Registered Member

September 2016.

Looks like all is going OK.

https://youtu.be/9mVAnHN0T2w

Feeding time

https://youtu.be/PEyznIjmYm0

https://youtu.be/d9elFPwRvsQ

Cheers
    Daniel

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

healthy appetites is a great thing to see! they sure love those cubes. how much do u feed ur little monsters a day?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    healthy appetites is a great thing to see! they sure love those cubes. how much do u feed ur little monsters a day?
    I am feeding them first some Discus Hans Flakes. Not all eat them (~70% of the fish), then i add a little of Tetra color . Half of them eat that. And finally I add 2 cubes or 1 and a 1/2, depending on the cube size.

I do that twice a day.

When i add the FDBW cubes they bite my fingers....LOL

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast