ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Discus stressed from water change

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: Discus stressed from water change

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    You shouldn't need to worry about the copper pipes. HMA filters are popular in Europe, you should look into one of those and it will take care of that little trace of chloramine. Then you might not need to use a conditioner. There is a type of carbon cartridge that removes chloramine, which would be good since you never know when the city might boost the chloramine.
    But HMA-filter sounds more time consuming and expensive than just using prime if it's only chloramine I have to worry about.

Real Name
    Jörgen

My fish are recovering well and now 10 out of 12 are eating. This picture is during refilling of the tank:
    2016-08-28 00.17.16.jpg
    If it weren't for you guys I would probably have stuffed my tank with meds by know. This forum is great. I need to spend some more time here

I would appreciate some more input about using tempered water straight from tap. As I've mentioned my pH does not change during aging. If I can use tempered tap water I would save a lot of money, especially with a bigger tank. My hot water is cheap (almost same price as cold). But heating cold water with electricity in a barrel is not cheap here.
    Dissolved gases might be a problem during winter in which case I could age when needed.
    I haven't seen any copper pipes in/under my house.

Real Name
    Filip

I use tempered straight tap from 18 kw heater now and with an old 2 kw heater before .
    I do not think that copper from the pipes or the heater would be an issue with changing straight tap.
    If its drinkable it should not have concerning amounts of copper in it.
    Just be carefull with the microbubbles if your PH is measured stable before and after the ageing.
    Start with less tap and more aged water and see how does fish react .you can raise the tap amount of water little by little on every WC to see how it goes .

Real Name
    Jörgen

Thanks Filip. I'll try that.

Real Name
    Mervin

I don't heat my aging barrel.I just dump two buckets of hot water in it just before filling the tank.No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I don't heat my aging barrel.I just dump two buckets of hot water in it just before filling the tank.No issues.
    I fill straight from tap with python. I match temp at kitchen faucet with thermometer then fill. My fish are not bothered at all. I dump the prime directly below python and turn it on. In fact some of my fish like to hang out under the python with the water filling...

Copper piping should not be a concern. I actually would be more concerned with the junk that comes out of old steel pipes than copper.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Great input!

I have not found a larger tank yet, but have started to consider one of my existing tanks. It's a 64 gallon planted tank in my livingroom. I could clean it out and do a hydrogen peroxide treatment before cycling and introducing discus.

I'm not sure about the size though. I don't want to go through all that work just to have people here comment about how small the tank is

So how is 64 gallons for rearing 12 discus in bare bottom? And how many adults is good for that tank? I'm not planning to keep all of them once they grow but would love to keep at least two couples if I'm lucky. But should they school with 10 others as adults too, so that they do not terrorise each other or does that behaviour dissappear?

I must add that the more I read about discus the more fascinating they get. Think I've found a hobby that will stay with me for a long time

Real Name
    Naz

12 discus will out grow a 65 gallon tank in no time. General rule is 10 or more gallon per every adult Discus.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    Great input!

I have not found a larger tank yet, but have started to consider one of my existing tanks. It's a 64 gallon planted tank in my livingroom. I could clean it out and do a hydrogen peroxide treatment before cycling and introducing discus.

I'm not sure about the size though. I don't want to go through all that work just to have people here comment about how small the tank is

So how is 64 gallons for rearing 12 discus in bare bottom? And how many adults is good for that tank? I'm not planning to keep all of them once they grow but would love to keep at least two couples if I'm lucky. But should they school with 10 others as adults too, so that they do not terrorise each other or does that behaviour dissappear?

I must add that the more I read about discus the more fascinating they get. Think I've found a hobby that will stay with me for a long time
    Discus are very rewarding when you do things correctly. They are very social and show a lot of personality. They truly do get to know you it seems.

I will let the experts chime in on how many. Seems most follow the 1 per 10 gallon as adult rule.

Personally I have 7 in a 75. Mine are sub-adult

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    12 discus will out grow a 65 gallon tank in no time. General rule is 10 or more gallon per every adult Discus.
    Ok. But are they still best kept that many when they get bigger? Or can I keep fewer? Have read that it's best to start out with at least 10 so they don't bully one poor fish too much. But is that for juveniles or adults as well?

Real Name
    Naz

Maybe you want to split the group 5 large ones in one tank and the 5 smaller ones in the other tank.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jörgen

Maybe you want to split the group 5 large ones in one tank and the 5 smaller ones in the other tank.
    They were all bought the same size some weeks ago.

But is it ok to just have 4-5 adult discus in a tank? Or will they kill each other off like juveniles do when too few?

If 5 is ok I'll just sell a few off once they grow and keep them in my existing 64 gallon.

But is it ok to just have 4-5 adult discus in a tank? Or will they kill each other off like juveniles do when too few?

If 5 is ok I'll just sell a few off once they grow and keep them in my existing 64 gallon.
    Minimum 5-6 is usually the suggestion

Real Name
    Naz

Six will fine in a 64 gallon tank and it is not a good idea to have juveniles with adults in the same tank cause juveniles end up getting bullied by the adults.The adults also deprive the juveniles of food which leads to stunting and some cases death.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Real Name
    Jörgen

Six will fine in a 64 gallon tank and it is not a good idea to have juveniles with adults in the same tank cause juveniles end up getting bullied by the adults.The adults also deprive the juveniles of food which leads to stunting and some cases death.
    Ok. If I'm understanding this correctly, then I can put my 12 juveniles in my 64 gallon. As they grow i will sell them off to end up with about 6 adults in the end.

Correct?

I'm sure a larger tank would be more optimal and I haven't excluded that option. It's just way more work to squeeze into my little house. If the plan above is good enough I'll probably go with that.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast