AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus stressed from water change

Default Re: Discus stressed from water change

If I ever were to order a fish through a LFS and they put it in their water or they re bag it with water from their tanks I would never bring it home. I rather have them call me when the order arrive with instructions no to open the bags or be waiting there with a bucket of my water if the bags need to be opened to relocate some fish.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    I had ordered some different strains. Some, like my two pigeon bloods, came from Stendker packed five in the same bag. So they took a new bag with water from their own tank and put my two pigeon bloods in.
    Is the fish that is sick one of these?
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    If I ever were to order a fish through a LFS and they put it in their water or they re bag it with water from their tanks I would never bring it home. I rather have them call me when the order arrive with instructions no to open the bags or be waiting there with a bucket of my water if the bags need to be opened to relocate some fish.
    I was waiting when the shipment came so everything was in order until we realized that Stendker had packed fish from different peoples orders in the same bags. Suddenly I saw them repack some of my fish. Guess I'm to "swedish" - we never like to make trouble. But I should have, and next time I will!

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Is the fish that is sick one of these?
    Well, the only fish I am completely sure ended up in their water was the pigeon bloods, and they are the healthiest looking.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Okay, so yesterday I washed all of the filter media in the internal filter, did a big water change and added Safestart filter bacteria.

This morning I did a water change with the same result as before. Fish getting stressed. One more fish have stopped eating too.

Tonight however I did another water change, and immediately after, all but two fish were nice in color and begging for more food.

So in spite of the fact that a few fish have gotten worse the majority looked really good today enjoying the fresh water.

Hopefully frequent water changes will bring the health back to all of them. Thanks for all help and for making me realise that all the dead stuff in my filter was a huge problem!

The sick fish in QT looked less dark today and the fins were more flared out. Maybe I'll try feeding him tomorrow. Should I bring him back to the main tank if he starts eating? Right now he is alone in 15 gallon QT.

Real Name
    Naz

Well, the only fish I am completely sure ended up in their water was the pigeon bloods, and they are the healthiest looking.
    Keep up with daily water changes and watch them carefully.Also next time your aging barrel is empty do a complete wipe of the inside the barrel with Vinegar.A cup or two of vinegar will be enough.Dry the barrel with paper towel to make sure no vinegar is left, that way the vinegar has no effect on the pH of aging water.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jörgen

1 minut after water change tonight. This should be compared to all of them turning dark and hiding behind the sponge filter for an hour.
    2016-08-20 01.10.28.jpg

Real Name
    Jörgen

Today I'm not so sure that things have turned for the better. I've made 2x50% w/c today but now two discus have had their body turn dark while their head is still lightly colored. Tried to take a picture:
    2016-08-21 23.33.42.jpg

I've tried to google these symptoms but came up empty. Sick or what?
    Last edited by LoGeek; 08-21-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Today I'm not so sure that things have turned for the better. I've made 2x50% w/c today but now two discus have had their body turn dark while their head is still lightly colored. Tried to take a picture:
    2016-08-21 23.33.42.jpg

I've tried to google these symptoms but came up empty. Sick or what?
    Discus turning dark is first and about most common sign that he has some issues with water quality or with some health issues.Its not related to some particular disease but its a symptom that something bothers him.
    For a start just keep the surroundings and the water very clean and further observe his behaviour .
    Does he eats ?
    Is he active and swimming or sits idle in the corner?
    Does he have white long poop ?

Real Name
    Mervin

How warm is your water?They look rather small.Do you know what temp water they were reared in.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

you have mentioned that you add seachem just prior to pumping the water in your tank, why not add it in the barrel while it is aging....

If WC is stressing them I would recommend one WC of 90+ % then 2 of 50 % each....

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Discus turning dark is first and about most common sign that he has some issues with water quality or with some health issues.Its not related to some particular disease but its a symptom that something bothers him.
    For a start just keep the surroundings and the water very clean and further observe his behaviour .
    Does he eats ?
    Is he active and swimming or sits idle in the corner?
    Does he have white long poop ?
    Yes, they are eating, but not as much as he other ones. Poop looks normal.

Real Name
    Jörgen

I bought them a couple of weeks ago as 5cm so they are still small, but I can already see some growth.

I keep the temperature between 29-30°C which is the recommended range by Stendker. I would assume that they rear in the same temperature as they recommend on their website.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Thanks for your recommendations.

I've added Prime right before w/c because I read some old threads about people having algea in their aging barrels. And the recommendation was not to add it until right before w/c. I can of course add it earlier if you think that the reaction with monochloramine requires more time.

Real Name
    Jörgen

I've kept measuring pH-levels and this morning it was down to 6.4 even though the aged water and tap water both are around 7.3. That gives quite a big pH-swing at w/c. Why is it falling so quickly in spite of clean filter and frequent w/c?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast