ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Discus stressed from water change

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Discus stressed from water change

my guys bred on one side of a divider all the time (they were divided because the male was crazy territorial), but raising the babies might be a problem. sometimes the tiny fry got lost trying to attach, and would be attracted to the black silicone trim or other dark objects. the main tank was pretty deep too, whereas in a breeding tank u can lower the water when they r trying to attach. the babies didnt live long unless i removed the input/output of the filter from their divided section (just too much agitation for them to survive). and finally after the fry started swimming away from the parents they got thru the divider and the other fish ate them one by one.

but a divider did give the parent discus lots of privacy to practice having fry and it was really fun to watch them learn.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Thanks for the information Kyla.

As I've mentioned earlier my tap and aged water are both pH 7.3. The pH in the tank has always fallen between w/c. Lately it has only fallen to around 7.1 so I've increased the amount of water changed, and also used some tap water that I've just adjusted to tank temperature in a barrel. The fish have not liked that, but rather been stressed. I don't know if it's the larger w/c or the tap water they don't like.

Anyway, yesterday I decided not to give them any food for 24h. Now 24h later I measured the pH and it is... 7.3! So I'm starting to wonder if one problem is that I'm feeding too much. I want to see those bellies full like balloons! I probably need to start weighing the daily amount of food I give them.

I guess this proves what you guys have been saying all along - the tank is too small!
    Last edited by LoGeek; 09-01-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Okay, so I just did a 80%w/c since the pH was that same as my tap/aged water. I used some water straight from tap as well because my barrel is too small. The fish loved it! I've never seen them this happy before.

So after this little experiment I know for sure there's nothing wrong with my water. It has been the falling pH due to ammonia and then the sudden pH raise during w/c. Like most of you have already told me - I know!

Real Name
    Jörgen

I'm looking at an used Haquoss Infinity 126. There's very little to find about it online. Does anyone know if it's a good quality tank or not? Pros/cons?

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Lots of water changes has worked many many times,if you watch the video that was liked by me it is mentioned in there by Al Sabetta.Keep us posted how it turns out.
    Akili, I can't find where you've liked this video. Can you provide a link?

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    Akili, I can't find where you've liked this video. Can you provide a link?
    It is in my earlier post ............... here again
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jörgen

Thanks!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567