ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dumb questions I'm sure but....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    sue

Default dumb questions I'm sure but....

so I have just added a thin layer of pfs to my 125 and added some anubius. the plants came in these little plastic pots and I am wondering if I have to repot them. I don't plan on planting in the sand but have seen some great ideas here on simply but if I don't have to do anything I don't mind them being in the pots they came in. will they grow in the pots they are in?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: dumb questions I'm sure but....

You should moved plants into larger containers. If you do not provide more space for the plant's roots, they can become pot-bound. That is, the roots of the plant become cramped and form a tightly packed mass that inhibits growth.Also the pots the come in will run out of nutrients.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    You should moved plants into larger containers. If you do not provide more space for the plant's roots, they can become pot-bound. That is, the roots of the plant become cramped and form a tightly packed mass that inhibits growth.Also the pots the come in will run out of nutrients.
    Remove them as well as all the rock wool. Anubias do not need to be planted into substrate. Can be attached to rock or wood. If you do plant do not plant the rhybizome only the roots. I just stick mine in cracks between rocks

Real Name
    Filip

You better take them out of the sellers pot and wool .
    I just tie the rizome with a yarn to some small stone/pebel heavy just enough to prevent floating around , and lay them on the ground. That way you can play them around while you do the sand vacuuming .
    Last edited by Filip; 08-19-2016 at 03:25 AM.

But don't be looking for a lot of growth............anubias are sloooooow growers.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

What type of Anubius is it?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    sue

thanks everyone, I thought that as I have a greenhouse so am familiar with plants but have never done water plants before, the three types I have are consensus,nangi and frazeri. I'm happy with the size they are now so am not looking for a lot of growth just survival. I am going to try to tie them to some rocks and I have spider wood so can attach some to that as well.

My anubias show new growth and flowers often. I really enjoy them. My new fav are my cofeefolia

Real Name
    Jacklyn

+1 anubias are great plants. If you like those, try doing the same with some buecephalandra. even better rhizome plants.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

If you attach the rhizome to something it will send roots straight down looking for nutrients I suppose. Once the roots touch the sand it will spread out horizontally. Though the leaves grow slowly I find that roots grow really fast. I really like how the roots grow down if the rhizome is placed above the substrate.

Registered Member

Ive recently tried root tabs. I am amazed at how fast the leaves come out on all the plants. Almost every other day i see fresh stuff. Root tabs are like little rocks that go under the substrate and dissolve over time. I crushed some and sprinkled the crumbs on the driftwood covering the rhybizome of the anubias and java fern and it worked wonders

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    +1 anubias are great plants. If you like those, try doing the same with some buecephalandra. even better rhizome plants.
    Jacklyn,
    Do these actually look blue like in pics on google?

Me and Anubias have a hate love relationship. I like them but they hate me. Still figuring them out after years. Haven't killed them but seem to grow even slower for me. I've seen some really awesome displays with only 3or 4 plants but they were growing all about the tank like a snake. Very cool. I need to look for Anubias steroids on the black market.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Bc chick View Post
    Jacklyn,
    Do these actually look blue like in pics on google?
    there are several strains of buce, the wavy is my personal favorite just because of the texture and they are more green. most buce do have a blue hue to them under LED lighting just because of the deep green of their leaves. some buce species are truly blue, those are the ones I cannot afford but there are green, blue, and brown even a reddish brown color. They are very similar to anubias in terms of level of care and lighting specifications but are much more beautiful in terms of texture and color in my opinion. don't get me wrong I still love anubias and have it in almost every tank I own.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Me and Anubias have a hate love relationship. I like them but they hate me. Still figuring them out after years. Haven't killed them but seem to grow even slower for me. I've seen some really awesome displays with only 3or 4 plants but they were growing all about the tank like a snake. Very cool. I need to look for Anubias steroids on the black market.
    Exactly the same in my experience :-).
    I have kept them in high tech planted tank with co2 , rich substrate and EI dosing but still no descend growth from them .Very enigmatic plant for me to figure out . And they are supposed to be the easiest :-).

My tottaly subjective theory is that one should keep them all by them selves or with only very slow growing plants , otherwise they get outcompeted by the fast growers.

I remember many years ago before I even went serious with keeping plants I used to have low maintained 10 g tank with only 2 goldfish and only Anubis's .
    Anubias grew like crazy in that tank and filled the whole background of the tank in a very short period .The tank looked amazing , and i was barely getting my hands wet with it . Go figure :-) .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast