AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: OK you've converted a skeptic. =)

Default OK you've converted a skeptic. =)

I first tried California Blackworms for my discus. They didn't care for it. So when people on this forum told me to try Al's I thought "Blackworms are all the same it will be the same result."

But nope. My discus are going crazy for it. And if you've followed my threads on this forum, you will know that I've been having a tremendous battle with my discus to tried to ween them off frozen Hikari bloodworms.

Furthermore, my package also came with a bunch of free samples. Thank you so much for a quality product!

BTW, I have 2 adults and 5 large juveniles. How many cubes a day would you feed them (and at what timing intervals?)

Thanks!

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: OK you've converted a skeptic. =)

How often do you change water and vac?

I change and vac 3 times a week on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I fast them on Tuesdays.

Real Name
    Phil

I would give them 3-4 cubes a day to start and see how they do and consume it and what is left over. Also see if it has any effect on the water. Then I would up it... Have you had any luck feeding anything else ...?

When you say juvies how old ? You really want to feed juvies a variety but most here feed a lot of beef heart to get them big. You'd need to do daily water changes as well to reach max growth.

Can you commit to more water changes in turn feeding more to get those juvies nice and big ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I would give them 3-4 cubes a day to start and see how they do and consume it and what is left over. Also see if it has any effect on the water. Then I would up it... Have you had any luck feeding anything else ...?
    Thanks! I'll give this a shot. They love frozen and freeze dried bloodworms. Some will try beefhearts. Three of them will eat colorbits.

When you say juvies how old ? You really want to feed juvies a variety but most here feed a lot of beef heart to get them big. You'd need to do daily water changes as well to reach max growth.
    Not sure how old they are. But But 3 are about 4 inches. 2 are about 5 inches.

The only beefheart I have access to is the San Francisco line of beefhearts sold at Petsmart. DO you think that's ok?

Maybe I can feed beefhearts on the day I change water?

Can you commit to more water changes in turn feeding more to get those juvies nice and big ?
    That might be tough. Not only does my schedule not allow for it, also CA is suffering from drought so I'd feel bad doing water changes more than 3 times a week. I do try to take other precautions, such as using Purigen, Stability, and Pristine.

Real Name
    Phil

Ok, so they are not tiny juvies they have some size to them... what are the other 2? You gave the size of 5, but daid you have 7 are they smaller than 4?

I think even feeding the FDBW and other varieties will get them going, I don't use the san fran beef heart. I think people do with no issues, only problem is the cost as they get you for those little cubes where most people make a years worth and freeze it for the same price...

You could try, but yes feed it right before wc give them time to eat then boom change that water!

Quote Originally Posted by s2002 View Post
    I first tried California Blackworms for my discus. They didn't care for it. So when people on this forum told me to try Al's I thought "Blackworms are all the same it will be the same result."

But nope. My discus are going crazy for it. And if you've followed my threads on this forum, you will know that I've been having a tremendous battle with my discus to tried to ween them off frozen Hikari bloodworms.

Furthermore, my package also came with a bunch of free samples. Thank you so much for a quality product!

BTW, I have 2 adults and 5 large juveniles. How many cubes a day would you feed them (and at what timing intervals?)

Thanks!

Thank you !!!! I suggest starting with 3-4 cubes per feeding.... feed more if its all gone in 15-30 mins. You can feed several times a day for maximum growth. Adults 2x a day is a good maintenance diet, IME.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Ok, so they are not tiny juvies they have some size to them... what are the other 2? You gave the size of 5, but daid you have 7 are they smaller than 4?
    Sorry I lost track of the calculations. I took out a measuring tape and here's the more accurate assessment:

1 - 6 inch full grown adult
    1 - 5 inch
    2 - 4.5 inch
    2 - 4 inch
    1 - 3.5 inch

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thank you !!!! I suggest starting with 3-4 cubes per feeding.... feed more if its all gone in 15-30 mins. You can feed several times a day for maximum growth. Adults 2x a day is a good maintenance diet, IME.

hth,
    al
    I just ordered some more! They can't get enough of them. Thank you for this rule of thumb. It looks like I've been underfeeding them (I've only been feeding them 2 cubes per feeding, 2-3 times a day). My boys will be happy to know that uncle brewmaster has upped their quota ha ha.

I'm thinking of ordering bigger bags but was hesitant to because wasn't sure how long the worms stay fresh. Do they stay fresh for say, 2-3 months or more? I live in California where it is very dry, if that helps.

Sorry I lost track of the calculations. I took out a measuring tape and here's the more accurate assessment:

1 - 6 inch full grown adult
    1 - 5 inch
    2 - 4.5 inch
    2 - 4 inch
    1 - 3.5 inch

I just ordered some more! They can't get enough of them. Thank you for this rule of thumb. It looks like I've been underfeeding them (I've only been feeding them 2 cubes per feeding, 2-3 times a day). My boys will be happy to know that uncle brewmaster has upped their quota ha ha.

I'm thinking of ordering bigger bags but was hesitant to because wasn't sure how long the worms stay fresh. Do they stay fresh for say, 2-3 months or more? I live in California where it is very dry, if that helps.

"Uncle Brewmaster" lol

Do they stay fresh for say, 2-3 months or more?
    under ideal conditions they will stay 6 months or more. ... ...ideal meaning protected from moisture and heat. See this article for information

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...e-of-Fish-food

***Note*** I've personally used them from the freezer at a year plus, but 6 months is a good target.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

...I fast them on Tuesdays.
    Just an added FYI, you're not really doing your discus any favors fasting them one day a week.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    Just an added FYI, you're not really doing your discus any favors fasting them one day a week.
    why is that Keith?

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    why is that Keith?
    I worded that poorly. Fasting them, other than slowing their growth a little, isn't doing them any harm. There seems to be some type of old wives tale floating around it seems though that it's adding something.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I've personally used them from the freezer at a year plus, but 6 months is a good target.

hth,
    al
    Thank you Uncle Brewmaster! 6 months is a super long time. That's very helpful thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    Thank you Keith. I'm going to skip my fasting day this week and see what happens.