AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: sick fish heavily planted tank need advice

Registered Member

Default Re: sick fish heavily planted tank need advice

due to work, looks like I wont be able to do much till Wednesday.
    still a few spots of ich in the tank doing water changes daily.
    i will post the numbers as soon as i get them.

Registered Member

removed much more decor from the tank and did a 70% water change. now the ich is much worse than it has previously been. still running no meds after I was advised to stop. 20 gal will be up and running tomorrow.

Registered Member

A few things to consider:
    1) if you don't have ick and it's a bacterial infection (which is more likely then ick) the temperature increase will probably kill your fish, the temp increase will cause the bacterial infection to spread like wild fire.
    2) your water change regime was most likely the culprit of this entire illness. (Again this is what would lead me to believe it's bacterial not parasitical, however it could be both.
    3)since you have added so many different kinds of fish you have exposed all your fish to all kinds of slime coat bacteria that some of the fish might not (or most likely are not) immune to, so with all the fighting the illness you could be fighting a loosing battle no matter what you do.
    4) the secret to having a very healthy successful discus tank is not knowing what to do to treat an illness but knowing what not to do so you don't ever get sick fish in the first place.
    5)now that you have sick fish (in a planted tank to boot) you will fight an excruciating uphill battle.

6) best of luck to you mate and if everything goes south, don't be too upset, we all learn.

Cheers,

Registered Member

ph in both tanks is now 7.6
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrate
    0 nitrite 20 gal, 6.0 ppm 150

Registered Member

so am I just wasting money here fighting this?

Registered Member

most the discus and a few fish have tiny white spots, still eating discus seen little grumpy tho. water is at 84 in both tanks currently.

Registered Member

Angel fish seems healed fungus or bacteria is gone. the white spot. only flares up after the temp has been turned down or after water change.

Registered Member

If it is indeed ick you could treat with:
    Marineland "ick remedy"
    This is malachite green and nitro, won't hurt your beneficial bacteria.
    Not sure if you can get where you are or not.

Quote Originally Posted by devic View Post
    Angel fish seems healed fungus or bacteria is gone. the white spot. only flares up after the temp has been turned down or after water change.

Registered Member

the top 2 photo are the same fish
    f2.jpgf1.jpgf3.jpgf4.jpg

Registered Member

or I should have said the white spots get worse after turning the temp down and after water change. "which also drops the temp"

Real Name
    Naz

or I should have said the white spots get worse after turning the temp down and after water change. "which also drops the temp"
    It has been mentioned many times before that it is difficult to treat fish in a planted tank. you need to move the fish to a quarantine tank before the ich spreads to others. Ich cycle is 3 days but treating it for a week is better by bring the water up to 85-88 degrees.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

If it 'flares up', it is not going to go away. Ich is not a fungus or bacteria. It is a protozoan that acts like a parasite by attaching itself to the fishes body. A quick google search will tell you all about it and how to treat it. Medicine is not necessary to get rid of ich. A raise in temperature is what speeds up the life cycle of the protozoan and eventually they die. If it 'flares up' after a water change with cooler water, it would seem to make sense to heat your water so you don't get a temperature drop. A heater is not a real expensive item. I just looked at your last post before sending this, and you say you get a flare up after you turn the temp down. Now I'm more confused. You aren't going to get anywhere with the way you are doing it.

Registered Member

I just bought a extra heater to the 150 to try and push the temp past 84.

i put the jack in the new tank last night to make sure everything was fine going to move any fish with white spot to that tank today.

20 gal i have added 4 table spoon of salt with no meds. temp seems to be at 84 going to get a new thermometer today.

Registered Member

before i made this. post I thought I got rid of the ich. So I turned the temp down a few degrees. the next day it was back. Just though I'd post that the temp effects the out break.
    thank you and every ones advice I am trying to follow as best I can with the time frame I have to deal with work and wife and such.

Real Name
    Mervin

When treating ich with heat,you will find that it speeds the ich cycle up.This will appear to have gotten worse,but will been gone in a day or so.The problem with heat treatment is that you can never let the water get no cooler than 86F at any time(very important).Or the parasite will bounce right back.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast