ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 75 Gallon journey

Default Re: 75 Gallon journey

Big Red813201620823.jpg

Turk shaping up nicely
    81320162083.jpg

Well the journey continues. Have done a little more rescaping. This continues to be a work in progress. I found that the way I had arranged the rocks into groups, to hold the anubias, was a bad idea. The roots and the groups of rock were trapping a ton of debris. Today I removed the rocks and anubias and did two back to back WCs while vac'ng all the debris.

I repositioned the manzanita a bit so that the wood is at more of a downward angle. I then decided to attach the anubias to one single rock rather than sticking it into the cracks of a group. I now can pick the one rock up and move it to vac. I can also remove it and its plants to wash roots if need be.

Not sure how long this scape will remain. Only time will tell 8162016154554.jpg8162016155819.jpg816201615582.jpg8162016155740.jpg8162016155710.jpg8162016155643.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan925; 09-16-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Progressing nicely Ryan.
    Whatever it takes to make maintenance easy and improve conditions for your fish is always a good thing
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Thanks Joe. I have definitely found that out. It's very obvious in the appearance of my fish.

At it again with more scaping. I am slowly but surely headed towards hardscape only. I removed all anubias and a lot of rock. I also repositioned wood again. As soon as I get some more wood in I think the remaining 2 plants will go
    822201620339.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

Discus are growing and becoming really nice Ryan .
    They have great rounded shape so far and are bursting with colours , especially the 2 red based discus.
    As for the scape I'm not sure how heavy this stones are , but maybe you can silicone them together like they were before and tie anubias on them , so they can be moved easily around as a whole structure .
    And as far aa Echinodorus goes , you can pot them in small pots with nutrient soil for easy moving around during siphoning.

The stone is fairly light as it is seiryu. I love my stone groupings but just made me cringe to see what accumulated between them. I have some more wood coming. I am growing more fond of the hardscape. I hate to let these red flame swords go though. They are beautiful plants but discus are most important.

Thanks for the compliments Filip. I am quite pleased the progress I am having despite early mistakes

Hard to believe my runt/stunt is almost perfectly round lol. He's the little checkerboard. He is showing some growth though so happy about that

Came home today to a box of new manzanita. Some really nice pieces. Have them soaking can't wait to get them into the scape

I've been trying to keep the wood towards the very back but I have seen many biotope type tanks with wood throughout?? I assume the fish love the structure as if in the wild. I just get concerned of injury if they get startled.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Tank looks amazing my friend! Good luck with adding the new wood when's it ready, can't wait to see the tank then. Your fish are all great looking, keep doing what you are doing, kick back and enjoy the tank, love it man!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

same here, i slowly let go of all my plants and although every plant was loved i am happy with the hard scape, it is so much cleaner. my discus really like the branchy wood, and "interact" with it more than they did with the large solid logs and the giant amazon swords i used to have in the tank. they huddle in it at night and glide thru it in the day. with more pieces u really have a lot of options to mix and match. i watch some ppl rearrange it regularly when they do wc. cant wait to see pics of it in the tank.

Well here is my latest scape. I love the thickness of these branches. This won't be final layout. They are sort of wedged together as they are still a bit "floaty."

The branches I had in the tank previously are so much skinnier so not sure how I like the mix. I may order a couple more of similar thickness
    912016125728.jpg91201617565.jpg

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast