AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 75 Gallon journey

Default Re: 75 Gallon journey

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    That looks fantastic Ryan. Really clean and the fish look great. I have some mazanita branches still in the box they came in. So many sharp points. I think when all 8 are together in the 75 gallon they will need that open space so I may not put in. It may end up next to that sand I never used! Yours looks great though. Plenty of room to swim ans so natural looking.
    I was a bit worried about the same thing. My previous setup I had the wood all to the back. The more I looked at tanks, especially wilds, I saw a lot more wood structure throughout the tank. The fish really seem to like it. They like to hang out in the wood and weave in and out. I think the more natural structure gives them comfort and probably some entertainment

Registered Member Pompadour Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aja

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Attachment 102910

So excited just picked up this 40 breeder today from petco for my sump build. Saved $80 bucks on this baby. This will be going into my diy stand.

I will post photos of the progress of the sump and stand build. This will be my first go at both. Wish me luck
    Omg I got the same deal! I bought my 75 and 40 at Petco and will by another small to make into a QT/hospital tank when they have there next sale. I just read your whole Journal and your discus are gorgeous I can't wait to visit kenny, I made plans to visit him in December.
    "At the end of the day we are not really fish keepers, but water keepers." - Chris Ingham

Quote Originally Posted by Pompadour Discus View Post
    Omg I got the same deal! I bought my 75 and 40 at Petco and will by another small to make into a QT/hospital tank when they have there next sale. I just read your whole Journal and your discus are gorgeous I can't wait to visit kenny, I made plans to visit him in December.
    It's always a great experience visiting Kenny. He is a great guy. If I had more room id go visit him once a month lol

Real Name
    Phil

Ryan the fish look better with each pic!!

You take pretty good pics as well, wish I was half that good...

I'm very pleased that Kenny saved you just as "crappy" a red eagle as he did for me... I don't feel so bad now! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Ryan the fish look better with each pic!!

You take pretty good pics as well, wish I was half that good...

I'm very pleased that Kenny saved you just as "crappy" a red eagle as he did for me... I don't feel so bad now! Thanks
    Haha Phil. I think my pics are terrible btw.. In need of a new phone badly. I've been meaning to get out an actual camera one day and try and take better ones.

The red is actually a checkerboard pigeon. He was my runt/stunt but seems to be progressing.

I do always appreciate our friend Kenny saving me extra "crappy" fish

They are looking really great Ryan. I still can't get over the transformation. The wood looks great too. Still trying to get my new piece to sink. I have it soaking in a big tote in the sun room. I have tomorrow off. I may spend the day boiling it in my huge canning pot again- I have to keep flipping it though because it is too big. I need a cauldron!

They are looking really great Ryan. I still can't get over the transformation. The wood looks great too. Still trying to get my new piece to sink. I have it soaking in a big tote in the sun room. I have tomorrow off. I may spend the day boiling it in my huge canning pot again- I have to keep flipping it though because it is too big. I need a cauldron!
    Thanks jenene. Lol a cauldron.. You will also need some eye of newt or something to drop in there as well lol

Registered Member

Years ago,some wise old fishkeeper gave me a great tip on getting wood to sink or stay put- he said get a flat piece of slate and drill a hole through it and attach to the bottom of your wood with a stainless steel screw.Place in your aquarium.Slate can be left permanently,or removed after wood is eventually waterlogged.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Thanks jenene. Lol a cauldron.. You will also need some eye of newt or something to drop in there as well lol
    Ryan, if you have an incantation that can sink floaty wood bring it on. (-:

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    Years ago,some wise old fishkeeper gave me a great tip on getting wood to sink or stay put- he said get a flat piece of slate and drill a hole through it and attach to the bottom of your wood with a stainless steel screw.Place in your aquarium.Slate can be left permanently,or removed after wood is eventually waterlogged.
    Thanks atlantadiscus! If boiling it again doesn't speed it up I may just do that. I wanted to avoid attaching it to something because with a BB there is nothing to hide it but if it can be removed later I could put up with it for awhile. Thanks!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

nice looking bunch...loved that spotted one...how big are these guys?

Real Name
    Phil

Sorry ryan not sure why I thought you had a RE, looks like one! Nice fidh either way...

Your red fish in the center of that tank shot is a?? What a stunner, I am picturing a group of ten of those looking breathtaking!

My new wood is still giving me some issues and causing me some regret... I bought too much to begin with, I was soaking it in piping hot water in a big garbage pale for nearly a month, the big piece still hasnt water logged and its too big so I pulled it. It was also growing some weird algae, my pleecos seem to finally be cleaning it, I was pulling it every water change rinsing it under steamy hot water as well.. PITA!!!

In my wild tank, I purchased some slate drilled wood from a local keeper on craigs list. I just love this wood and I have a sand bottom so I hide the slate easy... it def works though and helps.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast