AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New WC method

Default New WC method

Hi guys I just started my 75G discus tank back in April. Before starting the tank I had decided on the python to make WCs easier. I thought the python would make WCs fast and easy.

If you are like me you have found the python is helpful, speeds up the process but is lacking. Even with the python changing 50%-80% is still a lengthy process.

I also found that I needed to have the faucet running in order to vac the tank. This was a lot of wasted water. After vac was done id shut down the faucet and the python would continue to drain the tank very slowly with the siphon.

After about 4 months of this I figured there had to be a better way. Since setting this up I have used it twice and it has been a breeze to wc. I actually find myself changing a larger volume since it is so quick and easy to drain and vac the tank.

I bought this small pump at home depot.

Connected python to intake side of pump.

I cut off some excess hose from python for outlet side

I made myself a similar faucet fitting to the python but use a ball valve at the bottom.

Then on the pump and vac away. I keep python just above sand and it sucks everything right up while leaving sand put. With the traditional python method I found some of the larger feces even had a hard time being sucked up. Once I'm done vacuuming and desired volume is drained. (minutes) I disconnect pump. I connect python to my adaptor. Close ball valve, turn faucet and fill-er-up

Next time I will time the process 7312016203350.jpg731201620334.jpg7312016203234.jpg731201620324.jpg

Default Re: New WC method

Someone already posted the same concept. I actually use this kind of setup myself. It's not new

Registered Member scrappinjaime's Avatar

This is what I've been trying to figure out how to do. Does your drain go to the sink or some where else. Is the pump loud? I also have a 75 ��

Quote Originally Posted by scrappinjaime View Post
    This is what I've been trying to figure out how to do. Does your drain go to the sink or some where else. Is the pump loud? I also have a 75 ��
    Well thanks for that Warblad I wasn't trying to patent it just help some others. I've seen many wc too slow posts lately.

Jamie - yes drain goes to sink. Pump isn't quiet but not super loud.

Yes, the drain can go to sink or bathtub. Some people they would attach to the drain of the washer

Thanks for the post, cleaver idea. I'll be looking into doing the same

Real Name
    Phil

I believe the OP was saying that it is "new to him" not new as in hey guys I invented this idea

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I believe the OP was saying that it is "new to him" not new as in hey guys I invented this idea
    That's correct Philly.

Plus for newer members like Jamie and myself, though ideas were posted before, they get lost in the shuffle over time. By bringing attention back to them new members can benefit from an old idea

Registered Member

It was good to see this posting. I just got a pump that I am planing to use in that way. The pictures help me to think in what way I want to connect it.

Thank you for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDiscus View Post
    It was good to see this posting. I just got a pump that I am planing to use in that way. The pictures help me to think in what way I want to connect it.

Thank you for sharing it.
    If you need any closeups or parts list lemme know

Real Name
    Robert Carl

Thanks for posting this. May not be new to others, but it was new to me. I assume you also use the system in reverse to fill? Many of the pumps say to use vegetable oil to prime. Seems like they would work ok without it. Just wondering of the experiences of others...

Quote Originally Posted by RobCarl View Post
    Thanks for posting this. May not be new to others, but it was new to me. I assume you also use the system in reverse to fill? Many of the pumps say to use vegetable oil to prime. Seems like they would work ok without it. Just wondering of the experiences of others...
    Good to hear. Was the whole reason for the post. It has made my wc a breeze. I just stick end of python in tank. Connect to my faucet adaptor, plug it in and it primes right up. I even leave pump running and lift python out of water to move to other side of my center brace. As soon as it's back in the water it primes instantly.

The suction is great. I can actually see debris from all sides of python getting drawn in. Don't have to be right above it.

When I'm done vac'ng and draining I disconnect pump and connect python directly to my faucet adaptor. I then match temp and fill without using the pump

Real Name
    Robert Carl

My water is extremely hard, so I have to RO it. I can't fill directly, so I'll be trying the pump to pump it back in from 5 gal buckets. I've been siphoning (5 gal buckets on a ladder...nightmare), so I'm hoping this makes things easier. Next step is to RO to a barrel so I can eliminate the 5 gal buckets.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Good to hear. Was the whole reason for the post. It has made my wc a breeze. I just stick end of python in tank. Connect to my faucet adaptor, plug it in and it primes right up. I even leave pump running and lift python out of water to move to other side of my center brace. As soon as it's back in the water it primes instantly.

The suction is great. I can actually see debris from all sides of python getting drawn in. Don't have to be right above it.

When I'm done vac'ng and draining I disconnect pump and connect python directly to my faucet adaptor. I then match temp and fill without using the pump
    Awesome write up! Was having trouble with my WC taking forever on my 125 with the python. Looking forward to building a similar contraption. Any closer pics of the faucet adapter you built? Thanks!

We use them in plumbing to drain water heaters all the time. We call them transfer pumps, most are fairly quiet. Milwaukee just released a battery powered unit that runs on their small batteries. It's pretty sweet.

-Leland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast