AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uv sterilizer

Registered Member

Default uv sterilizer

Anyone here use a uv sterilizer? I have a 75 gal. tank and am thinking of getting one. Was it successful on keeping the water clear and preventing pathogens, harmful bacteria, parasites, etc at bay. If using, what size of sterilizer did you use for what tank size. I don't know how effective it would be, I do water changes every couple of days at 80-90-%.

I recently lost 6 of 8 5-6-inch discus that were in this tank. I think it was to a bacteria bloom, but don't know for sure. The 2 survivors have been moved to a new tank and the 75 gal has been thoroughly cleaned and it is currently being cycled. I would really like for the event to not be repeated and am trying to do everything to prevent it.

Steve

Default Re: uv sterilizer

I used them for both main tanks but I still do large water change between 80%-150% per day. UV will not much as far as keeping your fish healthy. I think less water change that's killed your fish.

Registered Member

I see this type of post more times then I would like to see, however these are some suggestions I make for all aquariumists.
    1)do bare bottom 100% of the time
    2) have nothing else in the tank besides heater, air stone, sponge filter(s)
    3) do a minimum of 80% WC daily!
    4) make sure your fish are totally parasite free and dewormed.
    5) make sure your sponge filter is cycled, there are many kick start products out that help, use them and keep your ammonia, nitrite levels at zero or as close as you can
    6) feed high quality food and don't let it rot in the tank
    7) vacuum everyday regardless and wipe down tank every other day!
    8) change more water!!!!

I have yet to see anyone do this regiment and post that there fish are sick.

Quote Originally Posted by slp View Post
    Anyone here use a uv sterilizer? I have a 75 gal. tank and am thinking of getting one. Was it successful on keeping the water clear and preventing pathogens, harmful bacteria, parasites, etc at bay. If using, what size of sterilizer did you use for what tank size. I don't know how effective it would be, I do water changes every couple of days at 80-90-%.

I recently lost 6 of 8 5-6-inch discus that were in this tank. I think it was to a bacteria bloom, but don't know for sure. The 2 survivors have been moved to a new tank and the 75 gal has been thoroughly cleaned and it is currently being cycled. I would really like for the event to not be repeated and am trying to do everything to prevent it.

Steve

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I had an quality 40W UV running on my 125G tank for awhile until SD members advised me that I didn't need the UV if I followed the procedures outlined by MD.David. Save your money for some quality discus my friend....By the way I paid $350 for it and it's now sitting in my closet waiting for someone to buy it!

I run one 24/7. I can honestly say I have no idea if it does any good. I change a lot of water, wipe the tank etc. So who knows! I do have gin clear water though.
    But the flip side is also true. It sure isn't harming anything!
    The science behind them says they can improve your redox.

I run mine 24/7 as well. I do believe it does make a big difference in clarity. As far as sterilization that's all about proper wattage and flow rate.

I install UV on swimming pools and when properly sized they work wonders

Registered Member

To you people who say UV filters do nothing... LOL okay... whatever you say... you do know UV filters are used in water treatment plants right ? As well as UV robots with UV lights to disinfect hospital rooms.. It can kill ebola as well.. and you can also use them in airvents in your house at the furnace

For the UV filters to kill whatever is in the water you need a powerful one and a good quality one that has alot of zizags and twirls to keep exposure longer. This is why for example the smaller Green machine UV light is only good for say algae.. but the larger one is good for bacteria, mold, and parasites because its 2-3x larger and 2-3x more powerfull.

Just becarefull though on your heater. UV lights will raise the temp of your tanks. I have to keep my heater at 76f because when i had it at 80f and put in two UV sterilizer on my 92g tank it raised my water temps to around 83f and i keep my water at around 78-80f with my discus (and yes they do fine in cooler water so dont even start)

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    I had an quality 40W UV running on my 125G tank for awhile until SD members advised me that I didn't need the UV if I followed the procedures outlined by MD.David. Save your money for some quality discus my friend....By the way I paid $350 for it and it's now sitting in my closet waiting for someone to buy it!
    Just because people here tell you 'its not needed " doesn't mean it doesn't have benefits. It's frustrating to me that because it's not someones way of doing things they want to deter others from its use. If you choose not to use new technology that has obvious benefits that's a personal preference.

You run a sump right Roland? These same people will tell you that a sump is not needed or that your K1 is complicating your filter. Some would have you believe that the only way to keep discus is in a glass box with a sponge. That's simply not true and there are countless examples here of that.

So yes uv does have benefits. Is it a replacement for good thank maintenance and husbandry? No

The key to uv is sizing it properly. With uv it's all about proper wattage and flow rate for it to be a success.

Real Name
    Eric

I run a large UV unit on my discus tank and I can't say for sure that it is providing any noticeable impact on my tank. I think frequent water changes minimizes the impact or need for UV. I keep mine running in hopes that it is providing things for the fish that I cannot detect (better redox, elimination of pathogens). I probably wouldn't spend the money again.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    I run a large UV unit on my discus tank and I can't say for sure that it is providing any noticeable impact on my tank. I think frequent water changes minimizes the impact or need for UV. I keep mine running in hopes that it is providing things for the fish that I cannot detect (better redox, elimination of pathogens). I probably wouldn't spend the money again.
    Here a pretty good article on redox and uv

https://aquarium-digest.com/2009/12/...-in-aquariums/

Real Name
    Eric

Thanks Ryan. Great article, you don't see as much discussion of Redox on here compared to the planted tank world... Very interesting since my water out of the tap is so low in TDS that I have to supplement ca+ and mg+

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Thanks Ryan. Great article, you don't see as much discussion of Redox on here compared to the planted tank world... Very interesting since my water out of the tap is so low in TDS that I have to supplement ca+ and mg+
    I see redox discussed much more in the Marine side of things although it has obvious importance in the FW world as well. I haven't checked tds of my tap by I do know the water is pretty soft in my area but high ph

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    What brand and model is it? How much are you selling it for?

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    What brand and model is it? How much are you selling it for?
    Good question

I think it discussed much more on the salty side because some reefers inject ozone into the water. The amount of ozone is often controlled by a REDOX meter much like CO2 in a planted tank with a pH controller.
    The ozone helps break down proteins in the water and makes foam fractioning in the skimmer easier. Thus cleaning the water and raising the ORP.
    We can't do that very easily on the fresh side.
    BUT the REDOX reactions still apply to freshwater and UV can and does raise your ORP if done properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast