ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wholesale price?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Wholesale price?

Just causing trouble here, probably. Not really a product review either, but I thought it a reasonable location for this:

What do you think the LFS, especially the better than average ones, pay for the 2.5 " discus they sell? Some say they buy from well known breeders. Do they get a discount off retail? If a hobby breeder can establish a reputation for quality fish, what price do they have to compete with? Luckily we're not REALLY expecting to make anything.

You might guess where I'm going with this.

Still dreaming...

Steve
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Default Re: Wholesale price?

About $15 to $20.

Mark

Real Name
    Rick

They will want to sell them at a 300% markup, so take what they sell that size for and divide by three. And most will try to pay you with store credit, when they do that, smile and walk away.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know a cichlid dealer here in central Florida who is getting LFS grade (aka, culls) imports @ 2 - 2.5" for $5 each, but he sells them for $25 - 30. For that price as a home breeder it's probably better just to post ads locally and advertise your healthy, home-bred fish without getting the LFS involved.

Your best bet is to sell locally Steve or through the forum here and ship. .. Its really hard to find local Fish shops that will give you a reasonable price for your fish... They have alot of over head and need to charge accordingly, which means they buy as cheap as they can. The exception is if you can build a relationship with a store and you offer them something they have a real hard time buying cheap... healthy quality stock at a fair price. I used to sell to one store like that here in CT... The owner and I got to be very good friends. Store credits worked well when the owner passes on his discounts to you on things as well. If you negotiate price, negotiate hard on the store credits... maybe cash is one price, store credit is another.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ryan

10-25$ for 2.5" is the lfs barometer here.

Al is absolutely correct on the relationship with your lfs thing. Ive got 2 that i have, over the years, become very tight knit with. Now they take just about anything i breed & at a reasonable price. But that took a while of taking them extras, and samples of my new breeding projects. If they wanted 10 discus... Id take 12 & some rams, angels or apistos etc... Just to build their confidence with me. I also will never sell anything im not proud of. This alone keeps me in high standing with them. They dont get would be culls or runts from me. It only takes 1 bad batch of fish to sour their taste for your stock.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

You will probably have to go all the way to Portland to find a buyer.

I have heard it said that if you want to make a small fortune selling fish, start with a big fortune.

Rick said it right. They mark up all fish thrice what they paid for them. I'm lucky. I have a store that pays me in cash for the Angels I sell them. They always give me a discount on the stuff they sell me. I guess it's because my Angels are good and that's the only way they can say "Thanks" for good fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    You will probably have to go all the way to Portland to find a buyer.

I have heard it said that if you want to make a small fortune selling fish, start with a big fortune.
    Like I said, no expectation I'm going to make anything. I've gotten beyond that to where I'm trying to establish my own hobby goals. But it would be nice to get something for what I raise, especially if they're better than what the store offers.

Yes, there's a store in Portland willing to see what I've got to offer. I can drive and see friends on the way to help make it worthwhile, if anything comes of it.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.