ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: uv sterilizer

Registered Member

Default uv sterilizer

Anyone here use a uv sterilizer? I have a 75 gal. tank and am thinking of getting one. Was it successful on keeping the water clear and preventing pathogens, harmful bacteria, parasites, etc at bay. If using, what size of sterilizer did you use for what tank size. I don't know how effective it would be, I do water changes every couple of days at 80-90-%.

I recently lost 6 of 8 5-6-inch

discus that were in this tank. I think it was to a bacteria bloom, but don't know for sure. The 2 survivors have been moved to a new tank and the 75 gal has been thoroughly cleaned and it is currently being cycled. I would really like for the event to not be repeated and am trying to do everything to prevent it.

Steve

ps. I also posted this in the equipment section

Default Re: uv sterilizer

I think you will find the general feeling here is they are not needed it you are doing large frequent WCs.

You can do some research on proper sizing of uv for your desired use. Personally I use an inline 9w strictly for water clarity. I don't expect it to kill all bacteria. I'm sure my flow rate from my filter is higher than what it would need be to sterilize the water. Flow rate is very important as it's all about exposure time with the bulb.
    Last edited by Ryan925; 09-08-2016 at 11:05 AM.

It's less water change that's killed your fish. UV is useless if don't change your water quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    It's less water change that's killed your fish. UV is useless if don't change your water quite often.
    I would agree. You should probably go back and try and determine what you did or didn't do that caused fish deaths.

How long did you have fish?
    Where did they come from?
    How long was tank established?
    Water params?
    Tank stats - size, stock, filtration etc

Rather than rely on uv to correctl problems you should determine root cause for prevention.

Registered Member

Seriously? He stated he is doing very large water changes very frequently.Did you read his first post stating that?

I've often used a UV sterilizer for lengthy periods in my planted discus tanks, not only for the potential benefit of harmful pathogens being destroyed when the proper flow is achieved, but it also helps improve water quality & conditions by picking up any free-floating algae spores within the tank, also providing better water clarity, circulation, and oxygenation throughout the tank, and keeps the water surface free of unsightly protein film.

I run one of these 24/7
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts....r.html#vecton4

I can't provide any scientific observations that it works, but subjectively I have invisible water, no algae issues and disease free, fast growing juvies!
    My thinking...it certainly can't hurt!

I also run a purigen reactor which contributes to gin clear water.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    Seriously? He stated he is doing very large water changes very frequently.Did you read his first post stating that?
    How frequently? every couple of days for 80-90%, that's less water change. I changed my water every day 80% for adults and 100%-150% for Juvies. So far I've been successfully raising and breeding discus. Most of these tanks don't even have UV installed.

How frequently? every couple of days for 80-90%, that's less water change. I changed my water every day 80% for adults and 100%-150% for Juvies. So far I've been successfully raising and breeding discus. Most of these tanks don't even have UV installed.
    The OP is asking if people think uv is beneficial and have recommendations. Because you don't use it doesn't mean it doesn't have benefits.

Paul obviously sees benefits and we all know his ranks and fish are too notch.
    uV obviously doesn't take place of WCs nor is it a necessary component but it does have certain benefits when properly used

Registered Member Discus_Fan_bln's Avatar
    Real Name
    René

Hi Everybody

As a newcomer, I'd just like to add that (well known to most of you) the disease is unlikely to be caused by
    bacterial bloom itself. As far as I know, bacteria causing cloudy water do consume a lot of oxygen what more likely might have caused the death of the discus.

Sorry for my edgy unpractised style.

Cheers from Berlin to all of you, I love your forum

René

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I've often used a UV sterilizer for lengthy periods in my planted discus tanks, not only for the potential benefit of harmful pathogens being destroyed when the proper flow is achieved, but it also helps improve water quality & conditions by picking up any free-floating algae spores within the tank, also providing better water clarity, circulation, and oxygenation throughout the tank, and keeps the water surface free of unsightly protein film.
    Thanks for the insights Paul. What kind of UV sterilizer do you use/recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by s2002 View Post
    If you have room in your cabinet look at post #7.
    Be careful and do your research. Just having a UV unit does not mean it will work. You have to get one that exposes the water passing through it to the UV for a certain amount of time. There are some "gimmicky" ones out there. They also have to be matched to a flow rate so the water has a dwell time around the bulb. Too fast a flow and the water is not exposed long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by s2002 View Post
    I've used a JBJ self-contained - 9w Submariner on my 75 gal tank for several years, and I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    If you have room in your cabinet look at post #7.
    Be careful and do your research. Just having a UV unit does not mean it will work. You have to get one that exposes the water passing through it to the UV for a certain amount of time. There are some "gimmicky" ones out there. They also have to be matched to a flow rate so the water has a dwell time around the bulb. Too fast a flow and the water is not exposed long enough.
    Thank you I'll check it out and read up on the subject as you suggested!

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I've used a JBJ self-contained - 9w Submariner on my 75 gal tank for several years, and I'm happy with it.
    Thank you very much Paul!