AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Happy Days are here again

Real Name
    Jim

Smile Happy Days are here again

First indication that something was wrong was when 4 or 5 of my fish dashed behind cover when I approached the tank at feeding time - previously they had all rushed to the front of the tank. Once I walked away I could see them come out of hiding and several of them start to eat. Another strange occurrance was that the fish became "afraid" of the siphon tube when I did WCs whereas previously I always had to gently nudge them out of the way with it to clean the bottom of the tank, and, during refill they would all school around the center "driftwood" instead of swimming freely.

After about a week or so I noticed a stringy poo hanging from the vent of my White Butterfly (a.k.a. Whitey). So I started slowly raising the temps both in the tank and in the WC storage tanks and then began a 10 day Metro treatment - with last night being the 10th dosing.

Starting 2/3 days ago the hiding behavior stopped, then the next day Whitey started eating as the blood worms fell through the water column towards the bottom of the tank. Yesterday, Whitey rushed the front of the tank as I approached and actively worked with one of her tankmates to rip apart the frozen cube of blood worms as it floated on the water as it melted. Last nights WC it was back to me having to nudge them gently out of my way as I moved the siphon around the tank, and, as it refilled, instead of schooling together in safety, they swam back and forth in front of the tank asking for more food

This morning, all were at the front of the tank demanding food, and then eating glutenously (is that a word?) as the cubes fell into the water

Everything seems to be back to normal ... YAY !!!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Default Re: Happy Days are here again

That's great Jim! Glad things are looking better

Ardan

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Excellent news Jim. Just goes to show it really does pay to pay attention to what your fish are telling you.

Ps - it was good to meet you at the NADA show, glad you were able to make it.
    President - North American Discus Association

Always nice to see something like this end with a positive result. It seems so many end up with a problem much worse than they thought. Kudos to you for catching the tell signs early and taking action