ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: discus breathing heavy and one at top of water

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: discus breathing heavy and one at top of water

Just to jump in here.I'm not a big fan of the natural meds from plant extracts and don't believe they have mush affect on the harmful types of pathogens that fish can carry.Altho,some folks use Rooibos tea for the anti-oxidant properties said to enhance immunity.Go with real meds for better results when treating for pathogens or some will (parasites) can be killed with just temps greater than 86f.When discus become sickly,chances are not enough large WC's are done.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wilhelm

Thumbs up Re: discus breathing heavy and one at top of water

Oh, i changed the water and they are swimming like nothing happened, reacting and hungry and beathing normal. THANKS YOU!!! somehow man can think better when have with whom to share a problem and getting some tips and help.
    all of them are swimming together now... so, u change water on daily bases?

its my frist time to keep diskuses in Germany,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wilhelm

those r diskuses which i got from STANDKER,
    Last edited by WilhelmJacob; 08-27-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: duplicate

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

The more water you change more often possible the better! I change 240 liters out of about 360 net every day and probably some folks here consider me a slacker as they change 90% twice a day!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wilhelm

2 x pro day 90 %??????? even rain not falling so much and sooo often.. i was talking with lot of fish keepers, they do 1-2 times water changes, depends on the condition of the water... in my case. cuz of meds i should do each 2 day 50 %, ..... BTW the fishes are really happy now... And they dont like to eat BEEf heart, STENDKER GOOD HEART is known as the best food for them, and they simply try it like a small babies and spew it out... and wait for something else.... any recomandation for good food exept frozen one which i am giving to them ( diffirent tipes of worms, and vwgetables espec made for them )

Haikari Discus Gold is an excellent soft pellet. Do they eat your frozen foods with gusto or do they sometimes spit it out as well?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

i think this not stendker fish, probably someone lie to you, make more pics

Quote Originally Posted by WilhelmJacob View Post
    those r diskuses which i got from STANDKER,
    Why do you say that? They look like Stendker's to me
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wilhelm

frozen they eat alll !

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wilhelm

its from MEGAZOO, and they take only from Stendker.

2 Marlboro red,
    1 German wonder ( skinny but starting to grow )
    2 Blue Diamond
    1 DArk Angel ( good apetite but still small)
    1 Brilliant Tirquoise ( this was a bbit bigger then the others, and now he growed quite fast in comparisomn to the others)
    Last edited by WilhelmJacob; 08-27-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

2 x pro day 90 %??????? even rain not falling so much and sooo often.. i was talking with lot of fish keepers, they do 1-2 times water changes, depends on the condition of the water... in my case. cuz of meds i should do each 2 day 50 %, ..... BTW the fishes are really happy now... And they dont like to eat BEEf heart, STENDKER GOOD HEART is known as the best food for them, and they simply try it like a small babies and spew it out... and wait for something else.... any recomandation for good food exept frozen one which i am giving to them ( diffirent tipes of worms, and vwgetables espec made for them )
    I did 2 X 90% water change everyday when I grow my 21 discus from 3/4" to almost 5 " in 5 months. They are so happy, healthy and they never get sick for once. All they do is begging for food all day long even I feed them like 9 times a day. One simple trick I learn from making them healthy is lots of fresh water. Picture of my discus a month ago when they reach 4".

Like Paul said, healthy discus should have a round body with small eyes and not an american football shape

1.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wilhelm

Wonderful big diskus FISCHES )) i never saw small diskus fish and to be soo fat and thick all over the world they r still babies )). i only can try to do often water changes, as much as my time allows to me..

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi, I know it sound pretty extreme changing so much water, it is all tied in with a different way of doing things. Massive daily water changes, together with daily scrupulous tank cleaning (and keeping the tanks bare bottom to make it easier) are in function of feeding young growing fish plenty and often. It is not just a matter of keeping nitrates to a minimum but also other things such as desolved organic compounds (DOCs) and bacterial count. It is a bit like all the big commercial breeders do and it works for them. For some reason hobbyists here in Europe are often led to believe that similar results can readily be achieved by growing discus in a tank with substrate, plants and decorations (that all trap detritus and impede cleaning), changing little water seldom and feeding sparingly. I have seen on other forums that in the majority of cases the results of this approach are far less satisfactory, with fish growing scarcely and not of a nice shape (stunted), very often the fish have immune systems so weakened that it makes them more prone to parasitic diseases and infections.
    When there is a problem many advise to start using medication rather indiscriminately without knowing for certain what is the cause of the problem, while the more experienced members of this forum advise to do a big water change...and then change more water! Only if that does not fix it start to investigate the cause and take appropriate action.
    Food-wise although some top US and Canadian brands like New Life Spectrum or North Fin are not easy to find, Sera, Tropical and JBL are easy to find and Aquaristikshop.de also stocks Hikari.
    With any kind of frozen food particularly in summer there is a chance the food myght be thawed with the heat and then re-frozen, with the risk of unknowingly feeding your fish spoiled food, it is what might have happened with your fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wilhelm

THANK U A LOT ON SUCH NICE ADVICES!!! FROZEN FOOD they like, only beef heart from STENDKER they dont like... now after 50 % water change fishes swimming, and Diskus are normal again.. i didnt change water almoust 9 days , shame on me...
    Last edited by WilhelmJacob; 08-27-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wilhelm

All back to normal) i cant upload pics i made .... always pop up the window FAILED!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast