AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild Discus or similar

Default Re: Wild Discus or similar

If you want wilds as nice as the ones in the pictures then you will need to get with Mark at Discus Origins (Sponsors page). He is the only sponsor that brings in wilds as nice as those. John may occasionally have some close to that quality but not typically. Mark usually only gets in one or two shipment each wild season. Typically his first shipment doesn't come in till December. I'm hoping he gets a shipment in earlier this year.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Hi Flytekk (and all of SimplyDiscus Land,)
    Glad you were able to get your answers. I'd like to make a comment on the wild discus Pictures here, which I understand where taken from a Google Search. I think the google image search is a great tool but when you use these images, its best not to download them and post them on the forums and social media sites without the permission of the image owner. Sometimes people can be pretty protective of their property. It doesn't matter if you aren't claiming they are yours or trying to make money off them. If you can't find the owner, or don't have permission its better to just link to the photo if its an online source. If its a magazine or book you must get the publisher's permission. Its a hassle I know, but it can put both yourself and the forum at risk in worst case scenarios.

I know in the world of social media and the ease of search engines, that "everybody" does it. But on this forum, our guidelines are to err on the side of caution. If you don't own it, someone else does and you need permission to use it.

Flytekk, I'm definetly not singling you out here, we run into this alot and are having a discussion about in our mod board currently. So this was a good opportunity to turn into an informative example.

Instead of posting the pics, when you do a Google search for something like "wild Discus" you usually can trace back to the owner...

Screenshot at 2016-09-23 07-43-56.jpg

a link to their pic still accomplishes what we need, but doesn't infringe on their ownership rights.

Some easy to read articles on the complex subject of copyright law..

http://lifehacker.com/5992419/the-be...-online-photos

and this..

http://sarafhawkins.com/copyright-fa...online-images/ Pay careful attention to the "fair Use" section...people mistakenly think that gives them the the right to ignore copyrights.

and if you want the deep articles...http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

So just to recap...

Our policy here is "if you don't own it... someone else does" and you need their permission.

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-23-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Drew

Totally understand. Thanks for letting me know. Will simply copy paste links going forward. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyTekk View Post
    Totally understand. Thanks for letting me know. Will simply copy paste links going forward. Thanks.
    thanks for understanding!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hi Al,

Thank you for the excellent information regarding the posting of other people's pictures. Not to diminish what you've shared, but ironically, I think several of the pictured wilds shown on the website belong to Mapet.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=1#post1205366

CraigJ

Real Name
    Drew

CraigJ thank you for that now i can contact Mapet to find out where he got his. His fish are beautiful and exactly what i want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12