ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is there a phone camera app that will measure?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Is there a phone camera app that will measure?

Just throwing this out there. An app for a hungry developer.
    I bet it's possible to write an app that takes an image from your phone, like a fish and it's surroundings, and can measure the length of the fish. I'm an old guy with minimal iphone/app skills, but just had the idea. Maybe there's already something like that out there?
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Default Re: Is there a phone camera app that will measure?

Not a bad idea. Wonder how well it could work. I know from further away my fish look smaller but with my face to the glass they look much larger.

I've seen on tv where they have a camera that projects two laser pointers to measure large Marine animals like sharks and whales. Pretty cool

Could always just stick a measuring tape to your glass and snap a pic as fish swim by LOL

Default Re: Is there a phone camera app that will measure?

Its a tough call. It would be challenging because of the varying distances and how the fish moves..

I used to use a program in the lab called NIHImaging... https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/
    Its an old program but was really amazing for its uses. I would use it to measure the area of various things in digital images. . Its Pc,mac or linux. Id bet with a little work it could be used for something like this.

.If you had a reference point that you could measure and calibrate against ,such as a lighted circle or laser light shown on the fish...then you could reference against and then compare to the size of the fish in the image.... it should work.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images