AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Seeking Advice regarding Discus who isn't doing well

Registered Member

Default Seeking Advice regarding Discus who isn't doing well

EDIT: added the questionnaire

Hi All.

this is my first post and i'm reaching out to discus experts for some help regarding a new discus i have.

I've been keeping discus for about 10 years and have never had an issue with my water quality, illness or genuine well being of my fish, this has me stumped though!

i have done my reading online to see if there was comparable issue but the information is conflicting.

I bought 2 discus of the same strain the blue turquoise; from the same discus importer i always buy from, they were in the same tank and did my normal prep, water quality was good, the discus looked in great health.

One of them has taken a turn for the worse , about a week ago (1 week into their new tank)
    the smaller one started show small brown spots on his skin above his eyes and the side,
    he would go very dark (almost black) in color when the lights go on or when he is around his tank mate. The smaller one is eating a little bit, (only sinking discus pellets) as is the bigger one but i'm concerned it's not enough

I've been vigilant with my water charges, the temp is 30C they are the only 2 discus in the tank
    there's also 3 Bristlenose catfish 2 large pieces of driftwood and about 20 neon tetras in the tank.

The bigger one is showing no visible issues

the only thing i could think of is that my GH General Hardess is very high but i was under the impression that wouldn't have any affect

Please Help?

---------
    1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

very dark color, light brown spots (about 8) on skin
    noticed 3 days ago new fish

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

light brown spots, turning dark in color regularly.
    eating minimally

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

mulitcure 20ml on 2nd dose

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55gal. 9 months old
    2 discus ( 5cm and 8 cm)
    20 neon tetras
    3 bristlenoese (small)

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

25% every 3 days
    50% 1 x month

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

substrate is crush sand white, about 2 cm deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

no

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 31C_

- ph ___7.0__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _20___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100%__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

only the discus themselves are new

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

N/A
    Last edited by Stuquarium; 09-27-2016 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Adding Questionnaire

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Seeking Advice regarding Discus who isn't doing well

You had no issues in this tank previously...?

Although you just added those 2 discus, you put them right into an established tank with other inhabitants. While the neons and bristle nose may have been fine, that doesn't mean they were or are a carrier of something that the discus could not ward of, or that they have never been exposed to and have fallen ill from...

You are also changing a minimal amount of water, and I get that the tank is lightly stocked but you are really going to need to get after those water changes, especially now to rid them of this...

If they are bloated you can try some epsom salts to help there...

If you have another spare tank I would get the discus out and in a smaller tank where you can do big clean water changes and get them away from whatever is in your current set up that has them sick.

No.1 cause of discus disease is due to lack of water change.

Registered Member

i've had no issues in thr tank previous we had moved house so when i brought it with me
    i had to start over and restock it.

Thank you both for you replies.

they are not bloated

i will do as suggested, what would be the recommended water change percentage and frequency to be sure anything bad is gone?
    i was thinking 50% daily for 7 days?

Also

only 1 of the discus are effected, would this still be a sign of disease?

thank you again

Pics would help.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I will see if i can get some after tonight's water change

Real Name
    Phil

I would do the max amount of water changes you possibly can as often as you can. Kinda the name of the game here and I have and do see it first hand. If I slack or have famiy or work obligations and miss a day I can just tell. A pimple here or there the water doesn't look as clear.

You should do 100% if you can at least for a week or two and if you can do big daily to every other day water changes you will see a huge difference.

Registered Member

thank you, i will do them big and often for the next week and see how we go,

thanks everyone for your time so far.

Registered Member

discus8x6.jpg

here is a photo, not showing the blackness but you can see the brown spots.

Real Name
    Filip

This spots seems rather white to me , not brown .
    Since its a external problem and very possibly related to bad water quallity i would prepare a clean , fresh barebottom 10 - 20 G tank and transer them there , where they would recive 90% daily Wc with aged water along with glass wipeings , sponge cleaning and vacuuming poop and food after every meal .
    Prior the transfer in the QT i would also do a salt dip to strip them from the pathogens they carry on their slimecoat (skin.).
    Hopefully they will recover after a few weeks with squicky clean/ almost sterile enviroment and daily 90% WCs.
    And if they do , remember to keep them in a number no less than 5, QT any new arrivals for at least 45 days and most importantly tripple your current WC regime , if not more .

Good luck and wish you well.

I agree with Flip. This is generally due to poor water quality.
    Mama Bear