ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Recommendations of the best color enhancing foods for discus

Registered Member

Default Recommendations of the best color enhancing foods for discus

Hi, this is Dino here. I want to know the best color enhancing foods that are available in the market today which brings out the natural coloration of the discus. Recommendations are highly appreciated.

Regards
    Dino

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse

Default Re: Recommendations of the best color enhancing foods for discus

I had good experience with omega one super color flakes and omega one super color discus pellet. The pellets sink quick but are a bit hard. The ingredients are amazing, check out their site. I feed a variety of food, but the only dry food I feed are these two. My discus will eat the pellets but take their time. The flake is another story, they attack it. Good luck! - Jesse

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pokediscus View Post
    I had good experience with omega one super color flakes and omega one super color discus pellet. The pellets sink quick but are a bit hard. The ingredients are amazing, check out their site. I feed a variety of food, but the only dry food I feed are these two. My discus will eat the pellets but take their time. The flake is another story, they attack it. Good luck! - Jesse
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion Jesse, but I would like to know the improvement in color since you started feeding your discus with these pellets and flakes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse

It brings out the reds a lot. My blues got more blue and some developed an orange tint on the ends of their fins and tails. Some people don't like that, but I dig it. Over all I think the food is great. The main ingredient on the flakes is whole salmon and the natural pigment in salmon helps with the color. I have other tanks with other types of fish and they have also changed in color. I have a couple of loaches which at the time of purchase were healthy but light pink in color within a couple of weeks they turned bright yellow. It was an awesome change.

Real Name
    Matt

Azoo discus pellets have PSB and work very well. White Crane is the best colour enhancer (nothing will compare) but most people on here will hate me for saying that!

Registered Member

It brings out the reds a lot. My blues got more blue and some developed an orange tint on the ends of their fins and tails. Some people don't like that, but I dig it. Over all I think the food is great. The main ingredient on the flakes is whole salmon and the natural pigment in salmon helps with the color. I have other tanks with other types of fish and they have also changed in color. I have a couple of loaches which at the time of purchase were healthy but light pink in color within a couple of weeks they turned bright yellow. It was an awesome change.
    Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoanna View Post
    Azoo discus pellets have PSB and work very well. White Crane is the best colour enhancer (nothing will compare) but most people on here will hate me for saying that!
    But there are some criticism about White Crane right?

I am just curious that it turned your pink loach yellow-any idea what it would do to a yellow discus? I have a yellow checkerboard and do not want him orange (would not mind the edges of fins turning orange but not the entire fish) but I also have blues and reds and a pure white that I would like to keep nice and bright. Feeding Discus Bio Gold, Northfin Krill Gold, Tetra Color granules, frozen blood worms, Mysis and Al's FDBW with spinach right now.

Registered Member

Most of the color enhanced foods will bring out the red. Larry just posted a link to a site where you can get color enhancement additives if you are making your own food, this is the one http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...6027-carophyll
    If you have yellow discus, most of this type of food will add a reddish tint, that's why some keep yellow discus in a separate tank.
    Last edited by Davidzil; 09-30-2016 at 06:16 AM. Reason: edit

Registered Member

I currently have red and blue discus, also plan to add a pair of yellow checkerboard very soon. Wondering what diet would suit them.

Real Name
    Matt

Yes, there has been criticism of White Crane. In my experience, used responsibly it is fine.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I am just curious that it turned your pink loach yellow-any idea what it would do to a yellow discus? I have a yellow checkerboard and do not want him orange (would not mind the edges of fins turning orange but not the entire fish) but I also have blues and reds and a pure white that I would like to keep nice and bright. Feeding Discus Bio Gold, Northfin Krill Gold, Tetra Color granules, frozen blood worms, Mysis and Al's FDBW with spinach right now.
    They turned bright yellow and not orange, which is weird because they gobble up these flakes. They have been for the last 2 years. I think it may have a different effect on discus. The super color flakes is like 80% of their diet. I have seen people that feed yellow discus color enhancing to yellow discus and they turn from yellow to orange.

I have also seen a video on YouTube of some person claiming that they feed their yellow and white discus sera blue discus food for 2 months with no orange or blue color change at all, the yellow was the brightest ever.

.https://youtu.be/RHhDseiEoU0
    Last edited by Pokediscus; 09-30-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Here is my yellow after feeding fdbw with bio pigment. I dig the color but others may not
    I'm sure some of the difference can be attributed to the dish maturing as well but def turned orange.

PhotoGrid_1474090046154.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Here is my yellow after feeding fdbw with bio pigment. I dig the color but others may not
    I'm sure some of the difference can be attributed to the dish maturing as well but def turned orange.

PhotoGrid_1474090046154.jpg
    Looks good!