AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help with plumbing for beginner.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Default Help with plumbing for beginner.

Hi all

I have 2 racks with 3 tanks on each rack. I am wanting to use the top tanks on each rack as water storage for water changes with some way of filling the tanks below. I have a fair idea of how to get the water system setup for filling the tanks up but i am unsure of a way to drain the tanks under the top tanks. I was thinking of a simple tap to let the water run from the middle tanks to a separate tank i will purchase and then use a water pump in the separate tank to pump the water out of the shed into the drain outside.

My problem is the lower tanks are so low that i would not be able to use the tap system on them so how would i go about draining them ?

Is there a better way to do this and i am making it complicated ?

Sorry for the confusing question but i have never plumbed anything and can not find any videos to help me with plumbing on a rack system like this.

All my tanks have holes on the top and bottom of the tanks. I have included images if it is any help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0644.jpg

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Help with plumbing for beginner.

If you can access the holes on the bottom of the tanks you can fit a gate valve to them, and just open it when required. I would suggest you go to your local plumber supply shop or hardware outlet with diameters of your hole, and they will guide you on the best way to fit it
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Why not just drain though a hose to a pump. If you get the siphon going on the upper tanks, the lower tanks are far enough off the ground for the water to keep flowing.

BTW, using tanks for water storage is a terrible waste of tanks. Can you not set up a plastic water storage container next to the rack? A TANK IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Thanks for the replies guys

Liz i was thinking about this too and am thinking of a drip system to get the other 2 tanks into use.

I have an idea but really unsure of the pipe and design is suitable so i am curious to what you guys think.

I have a rough planout done in good old MS Paint. Please give me your feedback and tell me if this will work or if i need to add anything like none return valves etc..

I will be looking to use 21.5mm overflow pipe for the whole thing. Red line is the straight through overflow pipe to drain and the blue one is for water changing just open a stopcock and let the whole 6 tanks drain slowly i might add through the 21.5mm pipe. The only worry i have here is that there is too much pressure from all 6 tanks draining at once that the water will want to push up and try flood the other tanks or will that not happen ? Sorry for the silly questions but i have never done anything like this in my life and just want to get it right 1st time around.

Tank Setup.png
    Last edited by UberSkills; 10-06-2016 at 12:41 PM.

You need help from someone else. None of my tanks are drilled. I drain my 22 tanks by siphoning with the help of a strong pump. I refill with another strong pump. I open all the valves and water comes in to all the tanks at once. I haven't timed it but I'm pretty sure it takes just short of an hour daily.

I can't offer advice on a system I have had no experience with. Sorry.
    Mama Bear