ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 180 Gallon 6x2x2 Planter tank gernal

Default Re: 180 Gallon 6x2x2 Planter tank gernal

Quote Originally Posted by stretch5 View Post
    so tap water at 18.5c its cold here. KH 4 drops 71.6. GH 7 drops 125.3. I know ppl worry about ph alot but that depends on KH more as its a total combination as a buffer and aging water is good but once added KH is still the same value cant change your tap water unless you run RO.
    Lights on for 8hrs off now for 3 hrs off after co2 and lights out
    Tank water 30c, KH 6 drops 89.5, GH 8 drops 143.2. this is what i have in perth austraila.
    Any comments love to hear as im new to KH and GH and what is good what is bad. Just trying to learn ppl
    I think one of the most important factors is temp. I see a lot of people failing with plants in their discus tank because they are not choosing plants that can handle the high temps. There is a good sticky here that lists plants that work in discus tanks. I actually purchased a "discus starter pack" from an online store. My plants flourished in my tank but got to be too much. I eventually removed them in favor of the discus growth. Was sad to see them go but much happier with growth and appearance of my fish.

Here's a pic of the plants I had. I was running co2 and dosing ferts7302016211059.jpg7302016205736.jpg

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by stretch5 View Post
    most are 1000k and a few 600k i think. mose redish and few white light
    Plants prefer a Kelvin brightness of 5000 K to 10,000 K.The higher in K your see more blue to the eye;lower and it is redder to the eye.Blue rays will penetrate deeper than red rays.Plants need both.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 10-04-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I think one of the most important factors is temp. I see a lot of people failing with plants in their discus tank because they are not choosing plants that can handle the high temps. There is a good sticky here that lists plants that work in discus tanks. I actually purchased a "discus starter pack" from an online store. My plants flourished in my tank but got to be too much. I eventually removed them in favor of the discus growth. Was sad to see them go but much happier with growth and appearance of my fish. Here's a pic of the plants I had. I was running co2 and dosing fert
    Looks very nice Ryan, Ill take a look at that sticky for sure. I wont be adding anymore plants anytime soon see how what I got goes and pull the ones that die out. What size tank is that Ryan. Fish look nice and healthy
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Plants prefer a Kelvin brightness of 5000 K to 10,000 K.The higher in K your see more blue to the eye;lower and it is redder to the eye.Blue rays will penetrate deeper than red rays.Plants need both.
    Ok that makes sense it came with mostly the 10,000k light I think when they stopped working they were changed out for natural light ones. Two of the lights have started to flicker over the weekend. I took all the globes out and sprayed them with contact cleaner and left it in my shed for a day. No luck its still doing it  Cant see how to open the unit up either see if there is a starter to change.
    Its model number L1800T5 cant find anything on google either
    It’s the two smaller ones on the right side, seem to flicker in sync. The other two are fine. I swapped the globes fron this unit to the other one and this unit with different globes still flickered.

160G Discus Planter tank
    Various African Ciclid tanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12