ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a mentor to build a small discus breeding farm..

Registered Member Md. Shafiqual Alam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shibly

Default Re: Looking for a mentor to build a small discus breeding farm..

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRobV View Post
    When I was about 12 years old, I bought 6 rabbits with my allowance. Your fry room is too small for 24 pairs.
    Noted with thanks, Rob. Working on this. Take care.

Real Name
    Rob

You don't have increase fry space, you need to start with a whole lot less pairs. How many pairs are you currently breeding? I am a newb, but I don't need much experience to tell you that for that many pairs of fish, you would probably need a huge facility. Start with just 2 pairs, get it right, then go to 4 pairs, then maybe 8 once you have mastered the 4.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Many of you are taking something for granted, and that is to think that OP will get all these pairs to breed at once. It just won't happen that way. Having a lot of pairs is a good thing but having a clear goal of where you want your breeding program to go is paramount above everything else imho.

So, at the end of the day, increase your chances by having a lot of pairs, sell the ones you don't need, pairs always typically sell well and focus on what you want

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Shibly

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRobV View Post
    You don't have increase fry space, you need to start with a whole lot less pairs. How many pairs are you currently breeding? I am a newb, but I don't need much experience to tell you that for that many pairs of fish, you would probably need a huge facility. Start with just 2 pairs, get it right, then go to 4 pairs, then maybe 8 once you have mastered the 4.
    Right now I have 10 proven pair. Also around 20 more adults also in community, having difficulties with male & female where in my community tank all females are PB and all males are non-PB. Do not want to cross-breed to avoid heavy peepering and so waiting to grow all small PBs and non-PB those from my 10pairs. Hopefully I will get at least 10 male PB and 10 female Non-PB from my existing 300+ juv.

I m managing all fry at home fish room. Usually when I am full of fry I do keep pairs in community and let them eat and surf heavily. However, for this project I choose a smaller room due to one issue which is water. This project is at my home town where all my water comes directly from under earth and TDS is quit high. So i am quit tensed though I am also building a small scale water treatment plant to low down TDS. Not worry about PH as presently working under PH8.

So finally my initial pair will be hopefully not more than 20 in next three month. Let's see. I will keep updating here and share my experiences with you all. Again thank you for your suggestions.

Take care.

Real Name
    Shibly

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Many of you are taking something for granted, and that is to think that OP will get all these pairs to breed at once. It just won't happen that way. Having a lot of pairs is a good thing but having a clear goal of where you want your breeding program to go is paramount above everything else imho.

So, at the end of the day, increase your chances by having a lot of pairs, sell the ones you don't need, pairs always typically sell well and focus on what you want
    Thanks Ricardo for indicating the point. That's one of my reason to increase the number of Breeding tank. In my exiting home setup I have experienced that it is not frequent that all pairs breed together or breed more frequently. Some are very frequent and some are very choosy to breed. Though it mainly depends on the water and fish health that i believe. However, I m considering the worst case and 30% pair will breed nearly same time/more frequently at this moment. As in my country no professional breeder is available who sell proven breeding pair, I also consider that to get very good pair that breed very regularly I may need 1 year to classify. Hope after a certain period when I will have good a number of pairs those are very regular, I will have another space to expand the facility.

I do not know how I show my gratefulness to the members of SD. You people are so amazing and helpful. Please keep in touch and take care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12