ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discus from Korea.

Default Re: Discus from Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Both stills are of the female. She is one in a million. In the video you can see the male for a bit. He is striated. I doubt that any of the fry will have a deep red solid bodies and beautiful blue striations in their fins. After thinking on it some, I'm no longer in.
    I disagree with you Liz. The male indeed had some striations. We don't get a very good look at him and I can't decide if I think he is a semi royal wild or a cross. Either way I believe you will get both solid and striated off spring from the pair. A wild royal/semi royal bred with a solid wild will produce both solid and striated. The rarity is getting royals in the mix. I believe the same results would be reached if the male is a wild cross. The pair I got from Kraig at the Show is a solid wild male (1st place wild class) and a big female cobalt looking Wantanabe with striations. I have a batch of about 20 growing out that are now about 2 1/2" and not big enough to see solid or striated yet. Kraig posted a video of the ones he just sold that are starting to show color and pattern and some appear solid with striations around the face like this female and some appear to have striations on the body.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-for-some-time
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Ive never seen such an extraordinary colour vibrance and combination on discus . They look great .
    Are those baby discus from this strain yours ?
    Yes they were, and I moved to the States so had to sell all fishes that I had including them before taking a flight.

I posted this thread to introduce the Red Moon because I have never seen this type of strain out of Korea.

Thanks for the compliment!
    Last edited by sparky8*; 10-08-2016 at 04:12 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Didn't see it but I've seen other stuff where they think goldfish will clean up all the junk after the discus and keep water quality better... Is that what it was?
    Yes goldfish eat the Discus poop to keep water cleaner and get enough nutrition to survive.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I have seen pictures of fish like this in Europe so it definitely exists outside of Korea. Gorgeous fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    I disagree with you Liz. The male indeed had some striations. We don't get a very good look at him and I can't decide if I think he is a semi royal wild or a cross. Either way I believe you will get both solid and striated off spring from the pair. A wild royal/semi royal bred with a solid wild will produce both solid and striated. The rarity is getting royals in the mix. I believe the same results would be reached if the male is a wild cross. The pair I got from Kraig at the Show is a solid wild male (1st place wild class) and a big female cobalt looking Wantanabe with striations. I have a batch of about 20 growing out that are now about 2 1/2" and not big enough to see solid or striated yet. Kraig posted a video of the ones he just sold that are starting to show color and pattern and some appear solid with striations around the face like this female and some appear to have striations on the body.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-for-some-time
    I stand corrected.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
    I'd take some.
    I can ask him if he can sell to the States if you want.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Does the OP or anyone have a connect to this guy or is this just a cool YouTube find?
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky8* View Post
    I can ask him if he can sell to the States if you want.
    Please do.
    Mama Bear

I would be in for some also.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by sparky8* View Post
    Yes they were, and I moved to the States so had to sell all fishes that I had including them before taking a flight.

I posted this thread to introduce the Red Moon because I have never seen this type of strain out of Korea.

Thanks for the compliment!
    I would have smuggled them any way i can if i were you Sparky .
    Shown the rightaway interest from the SD members about this gorgeous strain i think the vendor can seriously think about start importing them in the states .

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Yes goldfish eat the Discus poop to keep water cleaner and get enough nutrition to survive.
    This is very interesting POV of keeping discus . Having seen my goldfish digging through the sand searching for food for the whole day long i was thinkin it many times over , how good they will serve the purpose of keeping the sand bed in a display discus tank squicky clean . Never actually tried , but Im almost possitive they would do a pretty god job doing that .
    Now on top of that , this info of them eating and processing the discus poop just adds up to this idea of using them as a cleaning crew in a discus tank .
    As a plus on that , i actually really like Goldfish looks and their active behavour .

I kept Goldfish in a BB Discus tank when I was new and stupid. It did not work well. The goldfish scarfed all the food and got huge and **** tons. I needed to over feed if the Discus were to have enough to eat.
    Mama Bear

Do you guys know just how much poop goldfish make themselves? Instead of adding a fish to the tank to eat the discus poop and then clean out the goldfish poop, why not just siphon out the discus poop and be done with it.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Do you guys know just how much poop goldfish make themselves? Instead of adding a fish to the tank to eat the discus poop and then clean out the goldfish poop, why not just siphon out the discus poop and be done with it.
    LOL . Nice point Lary .

But i still belive that 1 or 2 small goldfish might keep the sandbad well aerated and clean by digging out poop from it all day long as they ussualy do .

Registered Member

I have contacted the breeder, he can import into the States.

However, since buyers from China buying them up recently, he has very limited availability at this moment in time.

He has 20 of 4" that are good to go now.

And about 50 of 1.5~1.6" will be available in Jan, 2017.

He also commented that there were another breeder of this strain in Japan.
    (And believe it or not some of them were sold as expensive as $5,500 usd each about 8 years ago..)
    The Japanese breeder is out of business of old age now.

Here's some more pics and videos below, thanks for your interest.

https://youtu.be/JEetQ28rAtg

https://youtu.be/rxqF2UGnCNw

https://youtu.be/qvGR2tDUHoU

http://serviceapi.nmv.naver.com/flas...544&height=306

1.jpg2.jpg20150713_152851.jpgDSC_0187.jpgDSC_0241.jpgDSC_0254.jpgDSC_0273.jpgDSC_0399.jpgDSC_029320(4).jpgnew_DSC_0021.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast